What are my chances? Non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxc2222

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post so bear with me. I need serious help with what I should do to get admitted into MD or DO.

Freshmen year 2017: Failed/received C's, D's in a majority of my classes (including prereqs: Gen Bio I & II, Gen(D, C+). Chem I & II (F), Statistics, and others: Abnormal Psychology..God this hurts)

Sophomore year 2018: was told I could never become a doctor, listened to that throughout my sophomore year and completely stopped trying, and told no one of my struggles (was kinda hoping I'd just fail out and become forgotten in the dust-- a really dark year) Was placed in academic probation in fall-- received A's and B+'s. Spring: retook Gen Bio II (C+), Statistics (B-), Cell and Molec. (C), Calc (F)

Summer 2018: Retook Gen chems (B+ and A)

My junior year and senior year were better but not great.
Took classes:
(orgo I (F), Orgo lab (A), Lang of Med (A), Medical Genetics (B+), Anatomy (B+), Physics I and II (A)
Orgo II and lab (B, A), anatomy II (B), Nutrition (B), retook Orgo I (A)
Ecology (A), Biochem (SE), Calc (retake, A-), Pathophysiology (A), endocrinology (A) oncology (B), Genetics (SE), microbiology (A), Pharmacology (A), Human development (A), Thesis (B).

on my transcript: cGPA: 3.260
calculated science gpa and cum. gpa with failed grades: ~3.0

(I know that was a headache to read but I need to know what I can do with this)

my main concern is Gen Bio because I got a similar grade after the retake because the professor thought everyone plagiarized (literally everyone) both years and refused to give anyone above a B.

I do not know what my plan should be. I was considering a record-enhancing postbacc or Masters this Fall 2021 but I'm afraid the D in Gen. Bio I will prevent me from being admitted.

If I do not get into a grad program this fall, I plan on studying and taking the MCAT. My diagnostic score before studying was a 506 (June 2020). I also plan on shadowing/volunteering because I do not have many hours atm.

I know things look very bad for me right now but I do not mind taking a couple years to set things right. I refuse to let a year or two or bad grades and depression to rule my life forever.

Thank you in advance for ANY advice for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m sorry if I’m asking something you have answered but regarding the cGPA and sGPA you shared , do they include every grade you have ever earned from a CC, uni or college? There is no grade replacement at AMCAS or ACOMAS so every grade is considered in your GPAs.
If they do you might be able to do a DIY post bacc. If you take a couple of semesters of upper level science course (full time)and earn all As and then do well on the MCAT you might be able to convince ADCOMS at some DO schools to give you a chance. Of course your need shadowing, clinical experiences(paid or volunteer) and nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community. There are no guarantees but at least it’s a path to medicine. Good luck.

I’m sorry if I’m asking something you have answered but regarding the cGPA and sGPA you shared , do they include every grade you have ever earned from a CC, uni or college? There is no grade replacement at AMCAS or ACOMAS so every grade is considered in your GPAs.
If they do you might be able to do a DIY post bacc. If you take a couple of semesters of upper level science course (full time)and earn all As and then do well on the MCAT you might be able to convince ADCOMS at some DO schools to give you a chance. Of course your need shadowing, clinical experiences(paid or volunteer) and nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community. There are no guarantees but at least it’s a path to medicine. Good luck.
I included every grade in my calculation for the sGPA and cGPA and from what I remember it was around 2.9-3.1 out of 4. I have only gone to a single undergrad school.

So, a DIY postbacc... do I do this through an undergraduate program (I assume I do this by enrolling into an undergrad college and taking a couple of classes? Also, how many should I plan on taking? ~2 or more semesters?)
....or should I try to apply to and tailor an existing postbacc program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I included every grade in my calculation for the sGPA and cGPA and from what I remember it was around 2.9-3.1 out of 4. I have only gone to a single undergrad school.

So, a DIY postbacc... do I do this through an undergraduate program (I assume I do this by enrolling into an undergrad college and taking a couple of classes? Also, how many should I plan on taking? ~2 or more semesters?)
....or should I try to apply to and tailor an existing postbacc program?

It’s up to you how many classes you take but IMO to convince ADCOMS you are up to the rigors of med school you need to take 12-15 hours each semester for 2-3 semesters and earn mostly As. Taking one or two classes a semester really demonstrates nothing. You are trying to increase your GPAs and impress ADCOMS. A formal post bacc would be expensive but if that’s what you want to do it’s just fine. Otherwise you can register as a non degree seeking student and take all of the upper division classes you want. Don’t register for a grad degree. You want your post bacc grades to be included in your undergrad GPAs. DO schools do consider Grad programs. MD schools don’t.

DO schools do consider Grad programs. MD schools don’t.
Super Interesting, did not know this.
Okay, I think I will do the option of enrolling as non-degree seeking at an undergrad school and take a couple of full-time semesters. I agree that this could be a cheaper option as well...

Do you have any suggestions for schools? :)

Super Interesting, did not know this.
Okay, I think I will do the option of enrolling as non-degree seeking at an undergrad school and take a couple of full-time semesters. I agree that this could be a cheaper option as well...

Do you have any suggestions for schools? :)

Not really. Is there a state school near you? Any school is fine, a state school would be cheaper. Some people say a Community College is okay. I’m not sure what the current feeling among SDN ADCOMS is on taking a post bacc at a Community College.

Not really. Is there a state school near you? Any school is fine, a state school would be cheaper. Some people say a Community College is okay. I’m not sure what the current feeling among SDN ADCOMS is on taking a post bacc at a Community College.
I live in New York so I am open to all state schools here. Some promising schools I've just looked up include SUNY Buffalo, SUNY empire state, and NYU. I'll probably try to avoid community college to avoid future trouble with it validity.

Reactions: 1 user
When you are finished with your post bacc, take the MCAT and have your ECs ready come back and post. People will be glad to help you develop a list of schools. If you do really well in school and on the MCAT, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. Good luck.

When you are finished with your post bacc, take the MCAT and have your ECs ready come back and post. People will be glad to help you develop a list of schools. If you do really well in school and on the MCAT, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. Good luck.
Thank you so much for your help!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so bear with me. I need serious help with what I should do to get admitted into MD or DO.

Freshmen year 2017: Failed/received C's, D's in a majority of my classes (including prereqs: Gen Bio I & II, Gen(D, C+). Chem I & II (F), Statistics, and others: Abnormal Psychology..God this hurts)

Sophomore year 2018: was told I could never become a doctor, listened to that throughout my sophomore year and completely stopped trying, and told no one of my struggles (was kinda hoping I'd just fail out and become forgotten in the dust-- a really dark year) Was placed in academic probation in fall-- received A's and B+'s. Spring: retook Gen Bio II (C+), Statistics (B-), Cell and Molec. (C), Calc (F)

Summer 2018: Retook Gen chems (B+ and A)

My junior year and senior year were better but not great.
Took classes:
(orgo I (F), Orgo lab (A), Lang of Med (A), Medical Genetics (B+), Anatomy (B+), Physics I and II (A)
Orgo II and lab (B, A), anatomy II (B), Nutrition (B), retook Orgo I (A)
Ecology (A), Biochem (SE), Calc (retake, A-), Pathophysiology (A), endocrinology (A) oncology (B), Genetics (SE), microbiology (A), Pharmacology (A), Human development (A), Thesis (B).

on my transcript: cGPA: 3.260
calculated science gpa and cum. gpa with failed grades: ~3.0

(I know that was a headache to read but I need to know what I can do with this)

my main concern is Gen Bio because I got a similar grade after the retake because the professor thought everyone plagiarized (literally everyone) both years and refused to give anyone above a B.

I do not know what my plan should be. I was considering a record-enhancing postbacc or Masters this Fall 2021 but I'm afraid the D in Gen. Bio I will prevent me from being admitted.

If I do not get into a grad program this fall, I plan on studying and taking the MCAT. My diagnostic score before studying was a 506 (June 2020). I also plan on shadowing/volunteering because I do not have many hours atm.

I know things look very bad for me right now but I do not mind taking a couple years to set things right. I refuse to let a year or two or bad grades and depression to rule my life forever.

Thank you in advance for ANY advice for me.
Just dropping in to say Impressive Upward Trend! 3.2 is still the bottom threshold for most schools so the Masters or post-bacc wouldn't hurt OR just make sure every other part of your app is downright impressive and apply broadly and realistically. Also, how the hell can you plagiarize in biology? I never wrote a single paper in my prereqs and praise God for that. Anyway, good luck!

Also, what exactly do you mean by this?
The statement is not entirely accurate - I think what this person meant is that grad school GPA is calculated separately on AMCAS, which is true as well for AACOMAS, I believe. All of my post-bacc classes / GPA were calculated in a "post-senior" section or something on both apps and I assume grad credits are similar. Both types of ADCOMs are primarily interested in your undergraduate GPA/sGPA and use your grad school performance informally/holistically when evaluating you.