What are my Chances of acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UM99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am hoping that someone could give me some realistic opinions of my chances of acceptance to DO school. I am currently working as a consultant in health care to help pay off loans and gain work experience.
But my true desire is to practice Osteopathic Medicine. I want to apply this spring, but do you think I need to retake the MCAT, gain some more clinical experience, or forget all of it because I am so out of the running!
I would really like to attend NYCOM or MSUCOM. Or wherever they will take me!!
My scores (pretty average):
MCAT April 99: 6V 7P 8B Q
August 99: 8V 8P 8B R
Undergrad from a top 10 Public school: 3.4 cum and 3.4 sci
Grad from #1 Public Health Program: 3.5

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't mention any clinical experience. This is the MOST important thing you can do now. DO schools want to see more than just numbers, which are just fine for NYCOM, and should at least get you an interview at MSUCOM if you're a Michigan resident.

But again, you're not going to get in anywhere unless you have some extensive clinical experience under your belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice Hedwig,
Although I work, I am hoping to get some shadowing experience with some area DO's here in the Chicago area. I am having difficulty contacting DO's Do you have any advice on what steps to take to gain more clinical experience and specifically the type of clinical experience is recommended? Hands-on, shadowing?

I also have shadowed MDs, and worked as an intern at a Hospital in health administration.
Also, my MCATs, I believe are good for 5 years and MSUCOM and NYCOM take scores as old as '97.

Thanks!

UM,

If you're not too far from Downer's Grove, go visit the Chicago school. Actually, first go to their website and get the number for the admissions office. Give them a call and try and set up an appointment with a member of the admissions committee. If that's possible, they should give you a good idea of how admissible you are, and will definitely point out any shortcomings for you to work on.

Good luck to you. One question: why Osteopathy?

I was told by COMP's admission people that they accept MCAT's that are no older than 3 years. Each school may have a different policy.

You seem pretty marketable to me. From what I understand, real world medical experience is something DO schools really look for when compared with MD schools. I would think volunteer work and "shadowing" would qualify.

My clinical experience:

1. I volunteered at a PCOM healthcare center last summer.

2. I've been selected to be a volunteer at a large hospital in New York City this summer.

Just twop thing, but I've been told that it's more than enough. Really, all you have to do is volunteer some of your time in a doctor's office or clinic or hospital. It doesn't have to be that much time. You can get away with one afternoon or evening a week, if that's all the time you have. Really, it's the effort that counts. You don't have to do anything spectacular, either. Last summer, I primarily did clerical work, with the occasional shadowing. Adcoms don't care exactly what you do. It's the effort that counts. Also, it doesn't really matter if you're volunteering for DOs or MDs, so long as you're very well acquainted with the osteopathic difference when you apply.

I have no idea what's available in the Chicago area. But a good place to start, if you want to shadow a DO, would be to go to <a href="http://www.aoa-net.org" target="_blank">www.aoa-net.org</a> and use their "Find a DO" (?) feature to see who's in your area.

Best of luck. You're embarking on an incredible career!

If you need clinical experience, call Will Chapleau R.N. EMT-P - He is director of the EMT program at St. James Hosptital in Chicago Heights. St. James Hospital has an affliation with CCOM.

You should be able to meet some people during your ER training hours that could help a lot. Also, they require only 16 hours of work in the ER. But, if you are motivated, you can do a lot more. I did it a few years ago. I got 80 hours of exposure and saw some really cool stuff.

I think your chances look quite good! Your scores- matched with desire, a good statement showing that desire, and some impressive letters of rec. and you should be fine!! Remember, there is a huge element of luck involved as well. I have friends who killed me on the mcat and havn't interviewed yet- i've been accepted to a few schools. My bro-in-law got grilled for religous reasons, my interviewers admired mine. There is this uncontrollable element-- and the only thing we can do about it is go in with all the confidence in the world and know that all will work out in the end. I wish you the best!!!