What are my chances of getting into a top 20 school from a really unknown LAC?

LACMA

5+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys

just wanted to know what my chances are at getting into a top 20 med school coming from a really grade inflated LAC but I have a 4.0 gpa, 39 MCAT and great extra curriculars. Thanks in advance!

BurberryDoc

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Jun 7, 2013
Pawnee, IN
Hey guys

just wanted to know what my chances are at getting into a top 20 med school coming from a really grade inflated LAC but I have a 4.0 gpa, 39 MCAT and great extra curriculars. Thanks in advance!
You have achieved the highest possible grade avg you can at your school, and you have a 39 to prove that you are on par with top-40 university students in the core areas like chem and physics and bio, so just apply to schools you want to attend, and expect to pay a lot for traveling to interviews because your sure to get a decent number of them with those stats. Apply to Harvard with those stats.

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Ya' know. There's the WAMC board on SDN where people post their stats & profile to get assessments of their chances....

Reckoner

Lacks theology and geometry
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2011
Status
MD/PhD Student
I'm new… haha thanks for letting me know!
You should also try the search function before you start a new thread next time. This question (can I get into Hogwarts school of Medicine coming from blah blah blah non-Ivy) has been asked dozens of times in the last few months alone. But anyway I agree with Burberry - you should be competitive at any school!

Reactions: LACMA

MedWonk

高飛車
7+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
New England
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys

The 39 suggests that your GPA isn't a fluke, grade inflation or not. I'd say you've got a decent shot if you have the ECs to back up those numbers, and you don't have the personality of a stone.

Reactions: BurberryDoc
Oct 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
You should also try the search function before you start a new thread next time. This question (can I get into Hogwarts school of Medicine coming from blah blah blah non-Ivy) has been asked dozens of times in the last few months alone. But anyway I agree with Burberry - you should be competitive at any school!
All that just to end up answering his question anyway. :rolleyes:

lobo.solo

7+ Year Member
May 4, 2011
Status
Medical Student
According to msar, I think you do. Get the msar and check it out yourself.

Apr 12, 2012
Earth
Status
Non-Student
The 39 suggests that your GPA isn't a fluke, grade inflation or not. I'd say you've got a decent shot if you have the ECs to back up those numbers, and you don't have the personality of a stone.
This. Notwithstanding any grade inflation, you have proven that you are qualified and a top performer in the basic sciences. In terms of numbers, you are a strong candidate for admission to even top medical schools. Just make sure to have excellent recommendations, extracurriculars, etc., and you should be fine.

OP
L

LACMA

5+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys :) I wish I made an sdn account sooner ...

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
Thanks guys :) I wish I made an sdn account sooner ...
This is honestly your biggest mistake and may keep you out of your school of choice. :laugh:

Reckoner

Lacks theology and geometry
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2011
Status
MD/PhD Student
All that just to end up answering his question anyway. :rolleyes:
They're a new member who probably doesn't know how frequently threads like this get started. So yes, I gave advice before answering the question. What exactly is wrong with that?

Thoroughbred_Med

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
@LACMA No reason why you should not apply to top 25 schools, unless of course you can not see yourself living in those certain areas. Find a good fit man because you are competitive at any school.

I don't know about the rest of y'all but I love SDN. I find it extremely useful to answer any/every question I have regarding the journey of medical education.

Reactions: Reckoner
Oct 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
They're a new member who probably doesn't know how frequently threads like this get started. So yes, I gave advice before answering the question. What exactly is wrong with that?
Nothing. Nothing at all. I'm sure the OP appreciates you. HNY!!