What are my chances of getting into a top 20 school from a really unknown LAC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LACMA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

just wanted to know what my chances are at getting into a top 20 med school coming from a really grade inflated LAC but I have a 4.0 gpa, 39 MCAT and great extra curriculars. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

just wanted to know what my chances are at getting into a top 20 med school coming from a really grade inflated LAC but I have a 4.0 gpa, 39 MCAT and great extra curriculars. Thanks in advance!

You have achieved the highest possible grade avg you can at your school, and you have a 39 to prove that you are on par with top-40 university students in the core areas like chem and physics and bio, so just apply to schools you want to attend, and expect to pay a lot for traveling to interviews because your sure to get a decent number of them with those stats. Apply to Harvard with those stats.

Reactions: 1 users
Ya' know. There's the WAMC board on SDN where people post their stats & profile to get assessments of their chances....

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya' know. There's the WAMC board on SDN where people post their stats & profile to get assessments of their chances....
I'm new… haha thanks for letting me know!

No problem. And welcome to the jungle.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm new… haha thanks for letting me know!
You should also try the search function before you start a new thread next time. This question (can I get into Hogwarts school of Medicine coming from blah blah blah non-Ivy) has been asked dozens of times in the last few months alone. But anyway I agree with Burberry - you should be competitive at any school!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys

The 39 suggests that your GPA isn't a fluke, grade inflation or not. I'd say you've got a decent shot if you have the ECs to back up those numbers, and you don't have the personality of a stone.

You should also try the search function before you start a new thread next time. This question (can I get into Hogwarts school of Medicine coming from blah blah blah non-Ivy) has been asked dozens of times in the last few months alone. But anyway I agree with Burberry - you should be competitive at any school!

All that just to end up answering his question anyway. :rolleyes:

The 39 suggests that your GPA isn't a fluke, grade inflation or not. I'd say you've got a decent shot if you have the ECs to back up those numbers, and you don't have the personality of a stone.

:rofl:

According to msar, I think you do. Get the msar and check it out yourself.

This. Notwithstanding any grade inflation, you have proven that you are qualified and a top performer in the basic sciences. In terms of numbers, you are a strong candidate for admission to even top medical schools. Just make sure to have excellent recommendations, extracurriculars, etc., and you should be fine.

Thanks guys :) I wish I made an sdn account sooner ...

Thanks guys :) I wish I made an sdn account sooner ...

This is honestly your biggest mistake and may keep you out of your school of choice. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
All that just to end up answering his question anyway. :rolleyes:
They're a new member who probably doesn't know how frequently threads like this get started. So yes, I gave advice before answering the question. What exactly is wrong with that?

@LACMA No reason why you should not apply to top 25 schools, unless of course you can not see yourself living in those certain areas. Find a good fit man because you are competitive at any school.

I don't know about the rest of y'all but I love SDN. I find it extremely useful to answer any/every question I have regarding the journey of medical education.

They're a new member who probably doesn't know how frequently threads like this get started. So yes, I gave advice before answering the question. What exactly is wrong with that?

Nothing. Nothing at all. I'm sure the OP appreciates you. HNY!!