What are my chances of getting into DO schools, such as LECOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windsor88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what are my chances of getting accepted to DO school. I have been looking to LECOM greatly.

I have a 3.44 cumulative GPA and a 3.2 science GPA, I am applying to DO schools this July, I got a 495 on my MCAT. I am also currently doing research at NYU langone medical center. Im an Eagle Scout, President of my fraternity,I have received the presidents scholarship from my school, part of the Phi Eta Sigma honor society and part of the red cross club in my school. Ive done community service pertaining to each those things.I have also shadowed a pediatrician since my freshman year of college and have around 300 hours for that.

For LECOM I also saw that they have an AIS score and look at Scores as well. I have 1290 combined math and reading score for the SAT and an 1840 total. With my GPA my AIS score comes out to a 119 (I got this from their website.)

I was wondering what are my chances and options. Maybe retake the mcat and do a gap year, or get a masters and try again or do both?

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

pretty low. retake the mcat

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA should be OK but definitely retake the MCAT. Instead of a masters just retake a few of upper level science classes after the MCAT and you will be in much better shape.

id apply with a 3.3 as long as you score over 500. yes you might be in a newer program with 500 but you'll be there. as of now a 495 isn't going to get you anywhere. If you want older, more established programs shoot for 504+

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

I was wondering what are my chances of getting accepted to DO school. I have been looking to LECOM greatly.

I have a 3.44 cumulative GPA and a 3.2 science GPA, I am applying to DO schools this July, I got a 495 on my MCAT. I am also currently doing research at NYU langone medical center. Im an Eagle Scout, President of my fraternity,I have received the presidents scholarship from my school, part of the Phi Eta Sigma honor society and part of the red cross club in my school. Ive done community service pertaining to each those things.I have also shadowed a pediatrician since my freshman year of college and have around 300 hours for that.

For LECOM I also saw that they have an AIS score and look at Scores as well. I have 1290 combined math and reading score for the SAT and an 1840 total. With my GPA my AIS score comes out to a 119 (I got this from their website.)

I was wondering what are my chances and options. Maybe retake the mcat and do a gap year, or get a masters and try again or do both?

Thank You!
None, retake mcat!

Your gpas are pretty good, but that MCAT will really hurt your chances. Courtesy of Efle's conversion scale, a 495 is about a 22.5 on the old scale. (Average MCAT for matriculants in 2015 was 27.33 or a 503, with a Standard Deviation of 3.11, meaning that a floor for a shot at acceptance is about a 24, or a 497.5) Your AIS score is good, but I don't believe a good AIS score alone will make up for an eh MCAT.
Best of luck to you though! Retake the MCAT and apply broadly and you'll be fine!

Chances are poor. You know the solution.

Hello,

Thank You!

I thought the looking at SAT scores are just for those who do dual bachelors/DO program straight out of high school, not those who have completed their degree and have taken the MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Take a gap year definitely, and retake that MCAT. Don't rush it and only take it when you're ready. I pushed mine back twice and I'm happy I did...getting a score you regret is infinitely worse than taking a year off.

Reactions: 3 users
Okay thank you all! i will retake my mcat and take a gap year, does anyone know what score I would need to get into a DO school based on the rest of my stats?

LECOM is all about the re-invention, the underdog, the great story. Life experiences that with make you a good physician. With that you have to have a good package. There is no perfect MCAT score that will get you in. It's the combination of everything. You need to focus on the overall, not one aspect of the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 500 will probably get you interviews at the lower schools, but a 505 would be ideal.

At LECOM, couldn't the OP have a shot by applying with no MCAT score at all and trying to gain admission (or at least an interview) on the basis of their AIS score?

At LECOM, couldn't the OP have a shot by applying with no MCAT score at all and trying to gain admission (or at least an interview) on the basis of their AIS score?
No. You have an MCAT and its in your primary application.

No. You have an MCAT and its in your primary application.

When you say "you," I'm assuming you are referring to the OP, but I actually haven't taken the MCAT yet.

The op already has an mcat score, so that would be lying.

So if someone (such as myself) hasn't taken the MCAT yet, I could literally apply as soon as the admissions cycle opens up on the basis of my AIS score and be considered a legit applicant with a "complete" application at that point?

You might, I haven't read the catches, as it didn't apply to me. You might get through the initial screening but I'd not want to hinge my whole career on one school and against the 5000 others who have taken the MCAT. Somewhere in the fine print I bet they require an mcat above xxx prior to acceptance.

A common trait of many of the 60% who don't get in is hoping that somehow they will slip through and be the exception or make it in on a loop hole. That is most often a guaranteed path to failure as you are competing against 1000s or 10000s at some schools and 40% of those have avg to above avg scores across the board.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You might, I haven't read the catches, as it didn't apply to me. You might get through the initial screening but I'd not want to hinge my whole career on one school and against the 5000 others who have taken the MCAT. Somewhere in the fine print I bet they require an mcat above xxx prior to acceptance.

A common trait of many of the 60% who don't get in is hoping that somehow they will slip through and be the exception or make it in on a loop hole. That is most often a guaranteed path to failure as you are competing against 1000s or 10000s at some schools and 40% of those have avg to above avg scores across the board.

Then again, maybe the reason they introduced the AIS system is so that they could knock down one of the barriers to entry and accept even more students? LOL, who knows

They haven't increased the number of seats. So ultimately, since other schools arent following, if one doesn't have the mcat even if lecom is being so generous as to not require it, not having it reduces your chances dramatically as they are only a small portion of total seats in a system already stacked against you. But as you say, who knows! Pigs could even fly. :) LOL

They haven't increased the number of seats. So ultimately, since other schools arent following, if one doesn't have the mcat even if lecom is being so generous as to not require it, not having it reduces your chances dramatically as they are only a small portion of total seats in a system already stacked against you. But as you say, who knows! Pigs could even fly. :) LOL

Yeah, I know what you mean. Even if an applicant does take the MCAT and scores fairly well on it, it's still risky to hedge all their bets on getting accepted to one single program. I wonder if LECOM will ever consider making a partially distance-based DO program, since they have a pharmacy program like that?

When you say "you," I'm assuming you are referring to the OP, but I actually haven't taken the MCAT yet.
I'm saying you as a sense of anyone, you or op, it's just semantics.

So if someone (such as myself) hasn't taken the MCAT yet, I could literally apply as soon as the admissions cycle opens up on the basis of my AIS score and be considered a legit applicant with a "complete" application at that point?
I could be wrong but I don't think it works that way. I'm pretty sure AIS is for people who are doing their dual Bachelor/DO program or for people who are doing the accelerated bridge program of PA to DO who have the clinical experience to replace the MCAT. It's not for your average applicant that has completed their four year degree and applying out of college.

I'm saying you as a sense of anyone, you or op, it's just semantics.

I could be wrong but I don't think it works that way. I'm pretty sure AIS is for people who are doing their dual Bachelor/DO program or for people who are doing the accelerated bridge program of PA to DO who have the clinical experience to replace the MCAT. It's not for your average applicant that has completed their four year degree and applying out of college.

I just heard back from LECOM about it earlier today..... apparently it is for any applicant!:eek:

I just heard back from LECOM about it earlier today..... apparently it is for any applicant!:eek:

I followed that LECOM thread pretty heavily for a while. Don't recall anyone being accepted with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm freaking out. I submited my app 2 days ago but my transcripts are still getting sent in so I feel screwed I'm late.

Anyways,
Here are my STATS:
undergrad: 3.45 overall, science 3.3
masters: 3.58
mcat: 29

emt, tons of global service, 4 years of research, 3 research awards, shadowed a DO, a lot of community service

what do you think? given my app is delayed what are my chances? do i throw in the towel? what are some low tier schools I should apply to?

:(

I'm freaking out. I submited my app 2 days ago but my transcripts are still getting sent in so I feel screwed I'm late.

Anyways,
Here are my STATS:
undergrad: 3.45 overall, science 3.3
masters: 3.58
mcat: 29

emt, tons of global service, 4 years of research, 3 research awards, shadowed a DO, a lot of community service

what do you think? given my app is delayed what are my chances? do i throw in the towel? what are some low tier schools I should apply to?

:(
Relax on the transcripts! You are considered early until mid to late July and then on time through Sept, so you have plenty of time for that.

However, at some schools your MCAT might be too old, so you might want to do some research ASAP!!!! Also some specify by start of med school, not application so be aware of the difference.

If you need to retake it it's better to start studying now than later.

Do some reading on "lower tier" schools on SDN and you'll find lots of suggestions/opinions.

Good Luck

Relax on the transcripts! You are considered early until mid to late July and then on time through Sept, so you have plenty of time for that.

However, at some schools your MCAT might be too old, so you might want to do some research ASAP!!!! Also some specify by start of med school, not application so be aware of the difference.

If you need to retake it it's better to start studying now than later.

Do some reading on "lower tier" schools on SDN and you'll find lots of suggestions/opinions.

Good Luck
Thank you!! Do schools require the new MCAT? I was not aware of this. I thought MCAT scores were good for 5 years.