What are my chances of getting into grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegoldenmoose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hell yeah. With that 2.78 GPA, you are overqualified for pharmacy school.

Reactions: 1 user
With that GPA, you could get into schools that are any combination of new and unaccredited, expensive, or incompetent/unlucky in recruiting. With the predicted state of pharmacy in five years' time, you will want to go to a school that will prepare you to be just a little cutthroat and competitive.

The schools that could prepare students the best at the most reasonable cost will naturally have competition. With that in mind, to get the best chance at the best future, you're going to need a comeback story to increase your GPA. Best case scenario, if you get an A in every class from now on for the next two years you will have just under a 3.4. To get a 3.0, you'll need about a 3.2 average for the next two years. In that case, you could balance your application by scoring in the 95+ percentile on the PCAT. Whatever caused you to get that GPA, know that in pharmacy school the coursework is likely to be more rigorous and that you'll have time commitments outside of class such as networking or an internship (at least to be competitive once you get the PharmD).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of grad school program would accept you when you are in high school, much less assure you of a doctorate with no undergrad under your belt?

Reactions: 1 user
What kind of grad school program would accept you when you are in high school, much less assure you of a doctorate with no undergrad under your belt?
I'd bet he got into a 6 year program and is calling it grad school.

Reactions: 1 users
With that GPA, you could get into schools that are any combination of new and unaccredited, expensive, or incompetent/unlucky in recruiting. With the predicted state of pharmacy in five years' time, you will want to go to a school that will prepare you to be just a little cutthroat and competitive.

The schools that could prepare students the best at the most reasonable cost will naturally have competition. With that in mind, to get the best chance at the best future, you're going to need a comeback story to increase your GPA. Best case scenario, if you get an A in every class from now on for the next two years you will have just under a 3.4. To get a 3.0, you'll need about a 3.2 average for the next two years. In that case, you could balance your application by scoring in the 95+ percentile on the PCAT. Whatever caused you to get that GPA, know that in pharmacy school the coursework is likely to be more rigorous and that you'll have time commitments outside of class such as networking or an internship (at least to be competitive once you get the PharmD).

Thank you for giving me the most useful and helpful response. I know I have my work cut out for me. I was just looking for some advice, which you were the only one to give. Thanks a lot.

Thank you for giving me the most useful and helpful response. I know I have my work cut out for me. I was just looking for some advice, which you were the only one to give. Thanks a lot.

To add to this, try to retake courses, especially common prerequisite courses, to get a higher grade. Just as general life advice, think carefully about what attracts you to pharmacy and be knowledgeable of the risks pharmacy faces in the future. Make the effort and get advice from those whose job it is to advise students at your institution (career services, health adviser, department chair, student adviser, deans).

And just personal advice, it is quite okay to change your mind as you discover what you excel in and what you prefer. No need to lock yourself into something just on pride.