What are my chances of getting to optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roro22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.1 overall gpa. I started out at a university where I got a 3.7 gpa. I then transferred out of state and took 18 credits a semester. My gpa at that school is a 2.35 (I failed physics and got a few c's). I then returned to my original school and will be graduating with at least a 3.5 this December. The 3.1 is my overall gpa combined from both schools. My prereq gpa is slightly lower than a 3. Do I still have a chance if they see that I took 18 credits which caused my gpa to go down?

I am taking the OAT at the end of this month and I'm aiming for a 330. I have job shadowed about 4 or 5 optometrists, I have volunteered at an eye care charity for 50 hours, I am in the National Honor Society of Leadership and Success, and I volunteer to help english learners improve their english.

Do I have a chance of getting in? I really want to get into a school the first time I apply. I HAVE to get in. I'm so scared that I will get rejected. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Call the schools you are interested in, and ask the admissions office if you are likely to be invited for an interview.

Do well on the OAT and apply early (before september).

Do your best on the OAT and do well in the sections that your marks arent good in (physics for example). Re do physics and make sure you kill it as well. Good luck if you have any questions. DM me