What are my chances...original right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lunch Beast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I was wondering if you could estimate what my chances are at various schools with the information that I provide you. I am taking a 5th year at my university so I do have another year to improve my application. All criticism will be taken with gratitute, so please feel free to do so.

School: University of Florida
Major: Chemistry
Residency: Florida

Cumulative GPA: 3.76
BCPM GPA: 3.64
AO GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 34P

It is worth noting that my BCPM has a huge upward trend. I earned a 3.29 BCPM GPA through my first 40 credits followed by a 3.88 BCPM GPA through my next 60 credits. Also, I did receive two C+'s in both Biologys, however I did retake both and earned A's the second time around.

Extracurriculars:
  • 150+ hours volunteering at my university hospital (ER, OR, General Radiology)
  • 40+ hours shadowing (Cardiologist, Internist)
  • 50+ hours tutoring underprivileged children
  • One Habitat for Humanity Project
  • Leadership positions in my fraternity (Scholorship chair, Risk Management chair, Sergeant at Arms)
  • Several service projects for my fraternity, one of which I headed
  • Several 5k's for charity
  • Student government research cabinet (collected data/surveys for senate)
  • One semester of stem cell research dealing with retinal degeneration (no publications)
That pretty much sums up my work so far these past 4 years. Once again please feel free to critique me on what I have done so far. I would like to get an indication of how I should improve my application. Most of all, I would appreciate if you guys could give me an estimate as to which schools I have a good chance at (once again I am a Florida resident). Hopefully with your help I can improve my application with in the next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All of your state schools are within your reach, with the good MCAT score compensating at those where your cGPA is below the median for those accepted. You have the usual expected ECs. I don't think you need another year of school to improve your stats. If you want to apply to schools outside your state, check out the School Selection spreadsheet stickied at the top of this forum. Plug in your numbers, and you'l see where you're competitive.

You're very competitive in general and definitely do not need to improve your application. If you're not looking to take a year off, you should absolutely apply now.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're very competitive in general and definitely do not need to improve your application. If you're not looking to take a year off, you should absolutely apply now.

Well I'm actually taking a year off because I need one more semester to finish off my major. I figured I might as well stay another year, you're only in college once. Plus it's another football season hah!

Thanks for the replies guys.

All of your state schools are within your reach, with the good MCAT score compensating at those where your cGPA is below the median for those accepted. You have the usual expected ECs. I don't think you need another year of school to improve your stats. If you want to apply to schools outside your state, check out the School Selection spreadsheet stickied at the top of this forum. Plug in your numbers, and you'l see where you're competitive.

3.8 cum falls below the median of those accepted? Where?

A 3.76 falls a bit below the median cGPA of 3.8 for those accepted at UFlorida, UMiami, and USFlorida.

Yes the main three Florida schools have become extremely competitive. It's a good thing they opened up two more. Although I am pretty sure UCF only takes kids with really high stats because they give them a free ride through medical school

A 3.76 falls a bit below the median cGPA of 3.8 for those accepted at UFlorida, UMiami, and USFlorida.

This is always what I thought was so fair about med school admissions. I wish there were some sort of sliding scale that relates GPA to major/university.

My degree was in analytical chem. Hardest frigging major there was save for some of the engineering programs. I grad. w/ a 3.3 which I was damn proud of, yet exluded me from most if not all MD schools.

Now my roommate on the other hand got a degree in elementary education w/ a 4.0. While I was doing page long analytical chem/phys. chem problems w/ Calculus, he was making collages and so forth out of construction paper...

This is what pisses me off when I see people coasting into med school w/ 3.7-4.0 w/ degrees in exercise science, nutrition and psychology.

I guess I'm just bitter that I didn't pick something easier even though I did what I was interested in.

well i'm actually taking a year off because i need one more semester to finish off my major. I figured i might as well stay another year, you're only in college once. Plus it's another football season hah!

Thanks for the replies guys.

go gators!!!

Hey guys. I was wondering if you could estimate what my chances are at various schools with the information that I provide you. I am taking a 5th year at my university so I do have another year to improve my application. All criticism will be taken with gratitute, so please feel free to do so.

School: University of Florida
Major: Chemistry
Residency: Florida

Cumulative GPA: 3.76
BCPM GPA: 3.64
AO GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 34P

It is worth noting that my BCPM has a huge upward trend. I earned a 3.29 BCPM GPA through my first 40 credits followed by a 3.88 BCPM GPA through my next 60 credits. Also, I did receive two C+'s in both Biologys, however I did retake both and earned A's the second time around.

Extracurriculars:
  • 150+ hours volunteering at my university hospital (ER, OR, General Radiology)
  • 40+ hours shadowing (Cardiologist, Internist)
  • 50+ hours tutoring underprivileged children
  • One Habitat for Humanity Project
  • Leadership positions in my fraternity (Scholorship chair, Risk Management chair, Sergeant at Arms)
  • Several service projects for my fraternity, one of which I headed
  • Several 5k's for charity
  • Student government research cabinet (collected data/surveys for senate)
  • One semester of stem cell research dealing with retinal degeneration (no publications)
That pretty much sums up my work so far these past 4 years. Once again please feel free to critique me on what I have done so far. I would like to get an indication of how I should improve my application. Most of all, I would appreciate if you guys could give me an estimate as to which schools I have a good chance at (once again I am a Florida resident). Hopefully with your help I can improve my application with in the next year.

Amzing stats man!