What are my chances please help (3.53 cGPA, 20AA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATpaininthebut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I just took the DAT today and scored as follows:

PA 16
QR 14

RC 21
Bio 22
GC 23
OC 22
AA 20

My PA and QR scores are really worrying me and I was wondering if I am competitive this cycle and what schools I should be applying to. Any input would be greatly appreciated; this community has already been so helpful on my road to dentistry, please help me complete the journey.

I am applying to a lot of in state schools including SUNY Buffalo, Stony Brook, NYU and out of state schools like Rutgers, Colorado, Boston, Temple, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Your name's still in the picture btw. Your AA average and TS are competitive, altho the QR score is rather low. Call the schools you're interested in and ask whether they straight reject due to low scores on certain sections. PAT typically doesn't matter too much as long as you demonstrate some ability, but it is a tad on the low side.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your name's still in the picture btw. Your AA average and TS are competitive, altho the QR score is rather low. Call the schools you're interested in and ask whether they straight reject due to low scores on certain sections. PAT typically doesn't matter too much as long as you demonstrate some ability, but it is a tad on the low side.
I really appreciate the input. I will definitely call schools tomorrow to see where they will consider my application.

If you apply to 20+ schools you will be fine, but retake if you do not want to waste that much money on applying.

There are schools that require a 15 or 16 minimum in all sections, definitely check the policies for each school. A little work now saves a lot of heartache later.

There are schools that require a 15 or 16 minimum in all sections, definitely check the policies for each school. A little work now saves a lot of heartache later.
I have already contacted University of SC and they said they require a minimum of 15 in each section already. Do some schools do acceptances on the condition that you retake the DAT?

I have already contacted University of SC and they said they require a minimum of 15 in each section already. Do some schools do acceptances on the condition that you retake the DAT?

I'm sure every school is different, but I would assume as school that has a minimum requirement wouldn't accept you until you've proven them that you boosted your scores. Also, I think if you retake and focus on the math and PAT, you could really have an outstanding score. The math is easy to practice and with a little work you could easily bump that score and the PAT is similar in that you can learn techniques and become familiar with the style of questions. PM me and I can send you my old Math Destroyer if you'd like. Cheers!

I doubt it, because there is no guarantee that you'll score >15 in every section. If its a "requirement" then you'll have retake before they'll even extend you an interview. Once again, that's IF its a requirement.