What are my chances? Please peeps help me out.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HOSS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up guys. Im new here. I am a biology major at St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia. I have a 3.67 GPA with a 3.64 science. I will be graduating in 2002. I have done volunteer work, hospital research, and completed two internships at a hospital. But the problem is I bombed the MCAT with a 8,8,9Q. Do i have any chance to get accepted to DO? I applied to PCOM, Erie, NJ, NY, UNECOM, Ohio, and West Virginia. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hoss, you hardly bombed the MCAT! You stand a great chance for admission into DO schools with your numbers, assuming you have solid interviews/essays/recs and you show the adcoms your complete understanding of the D.O. profession. Good luck.

Originally posted by MedPuck:
•Hoss, you hardly bombed the MCAT! You stand a great chance for admission into DO schools with your numbers, assuming you have solid interviews/essays/recs and you show the adcoms your complete understanding of the D.O. profession. Good luck.•

Ditto.... Good luck.... Cross your fingers.... It's worth the shot....

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a great chance. I will be attending PCOM this fall, and your MCAT is better then mine,(23 Q). Best of luck...

Hey sporrt,

u got into pcom with a 23? i too got a 23 when i took it in april...did u have any problems getting in (like getting waitlisted)? do you mind sharing ur stats because I'm intersted in PCOM and kinda paranoid about my numbers

thanks!

Dude, are you kidding? I got in with lower numbers and had my choice of DO or MD. Apply to any DO school not funded by a state. (Unless of course you are in that state.) Also, apply to any state funded MD schools in your state. You are Gold. Just don't bomb the interview, hehe.

Be careful not to get too tied up in the numbers...you'd be surprised on how some people get in with low stats and others get denied with really high stats. I had a guy in my school with a 3.6 gpa and 34 MCAT and he couldn't get into any of his state schools. Trust me, he doesn't have anything wrong with him either. You just don't know what kind of person med schools are trying to recruit. If you look around at the people in my class they are so diverse in looks and personalities and age. The general consensus is stating that you are competitive with everyone else. What you need to do is make sure you have other things to make you rise above the rest of the applicants. Get those good rec letters, send your app in early, and prepare yourself to be knowlegeable and professional at the interviews.

Go for it.

Together

Realruby,
Yes, I got into PCOM with a 22N and 23Q on my MCATS. However, I also had a 3.6somethin GPA and have been a full-time Respiratory Therapist for five years. I did however get waitlisted at LECOM, but eventually was accepted. Needless to say it is truly not all numbers, but make sure you have other stuff to offer. Lot's of healthcare experience doesn't hurt. Goodluck...

doughboy is right. i got rejected by pcom without an interview but was accepted to finch univ. i had a 30+ mcat. my advice would be apply to those schools early, if you are applying to lots of schools, priortize the schools that interest you the most. i'm sure adcom will see the 'time line' of your application to determine your interest in attending their schools.

good luck

How did you get rejected without an interview at PCOM with a 30+ MCAT? Did you apply late in the cycle? What were your grades?