What are my chances? (psych MA/MS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbenoit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am a senior psychology student currently study for the GRE and preparing to start my applications to various terminal counseling/clinical MA/MS programs. I've already done the research on the programs and am currently getting everything together. I'm aware of how astronomically competative clinical phd programs are, but I've heard mixed feedback in regards to master's programs. So I'm asking you all, based on my stats (listed below), what are my chances?

GPA: set to graduate cum laude (3.5-3.6); my psychology GPA is higher (3.6-3.7); my grades from sophomore year are a bit rough due to the death of my father

Major: Psychology
Concentration: Biopsychology

Research experience: summer internship spent at a research lab in NYU, and I am currently contributing transcription skills to a different NYU research lab. I also completed an independent quant research project as part of my undergrad education (which I plan to present at the upcoming SWPA conference) and will complete a senior thesis that takes the form of a qualitative study

Counseling experience: I am a peer counselor for an online non-profit, a listening intern on 7cups.com, a former mentor at a local high school, and a member of Best Buddies International

Certifications: two suicide prevention certs (one through QPR and one specific to school settings) and two certifications related to human subjects research

Memberships: Psi Chi, student affiliate of APA and APS, and as previously mentioned, a member of Best Buddies International

Members don't see this ad.