MD & DO What are my chances (reapplicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chimber

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Wanted some input on my chances and any additions you suggested for my school list. I applied last year with similar experiences but less volunteer activities and less hours, and received 4 interviews (TCMC, Virginia Tech, Dartmouth, Penn State) but didn't end up making it off the waitlists for any :( Maybe something is wrong with my interviewing, but planning on working on that as well. Thanks!
  1. cGPA=3.4 and sGPA=3.23 (upward trend from spring of junior year and into post-bacc 3.92 cGPA 3.69 sGPA)
  2. MCAT score- 32 (12 bs, 9 v, 11 ps) on 2nd attempt. got a 28 on 1st attempt (10, 8, 10)
  3. State of residence- Pennsylvania
  4. Indian
  5. University of Pennsylvania
  6. Clinical experience- been working as a clinical research coordinator and research fellow since graduation the last 2 years full time (6000+ hrs). worked as a patient safety assistant for 400+ hrs.
  7. Research experience- lab research for 3 years in undergrad (one co-authored paper and one acknowledgement. also did an independent study). Clinical research currently, will be second author on two papers, and will be authored on 4 other papers.
  8. Shadowing experience- 300 hrs, variety of fields including radiation oncology, pediatrics, ER, ophthalmology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering- CYWA Gateway Shelter (225 hrs) serving food, alzheimers association board member (100 hrs), assistant teaching in west philadelphia high schools (50 currently, with more starting in fall), Model UN judging (100 hrs)
  10. Other extracurricular activities- club ultimate and soccer at school (comparable to DIII, 1000+), president of indian cultural group (400 hrs)
MD Schools (*=reapplicant): albany, albert einstein, drexel*, EVMS, emory, geisel*, georgetown*, hofstra, indiana, temple*, loyola, nymc*, penn state, rosalind franklin*, jefferson*, tcmc*, ohio state, toledo, cincinnati, UVA, washington, USF, virginia tech*, brown, wayne state, western michigan, wright state
Tried to pick a different batch of schools from the first time which included (quinnipiac, tulane, mcw, tufts, creighton, rush, miami, vermont, george washington, wake forest)

DO Schools: PCOM, LECOM, CCOM midwestern, MSUCOM, TUCOM cali and ny, nova se, western university of pacific

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive several interviews from the DO schools. For MD schools consider adding:
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont

U of Wash is a pure donation if you arent from the WWAMI region(the few who get in outside of that are URMs or MD/PhD apps)
Cincinnati, Loyola, Jefferson and USF tend to often average multiple MCATs from what Ive been told(I would still keep Jefferson though. USF if you apply through the program at Lehigh is worth keeping).
Stats are highly unlikely to be competitive at Emory, UVA and Hofstra. Probably Einstein and Ohio St as well.
I dont think Brown is a good choice
Most of Toledo's OOS class comes through its special programs(ie BS/MD and SMP) as well as MI residents
I would consider Creighton and MCW even as a reapp.
If you are from PA you really should add WVU and Marshall.
I would agree VCU and Oakland are worth adding. All the PA schools, Albany, EVMS, USF, Wayne St and W Michigan are solid choices from your list above.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @Faha and @GrapesofRath for the feedback, I will remove U of Wash, and consider adding VCU, Oakland, and the West Virginia schools.

@GrapesofRath Out of curiosity why do you think Brown is a poor choice?
And I was planning on Toledo based on the MSAR information which did not list any BS/MD matriculants, although I could not see the SMP matriculants or how many came from Michigan.

A substantial proportion of Brown's class is from their own UG or special programs.
The ones who aren't tend to have specific things Brown looks for(ie from a big name UG) or are unique compelling candidates(I believe 60+% of their non BS/MD class in 2015 took 3+ years off and many did things like PeaceCorps TFA etc).
You just dont really fit what you are looking for on top of having low stats for them.

Over half of Toledo's OOS class historically is from MI.
http://www.utoledo.edu/med/md/classprofile.html

Good list but I recommend taking out Indiana, UVA, washington, brown, emory & ohio state. You could add WVU but don't add Marshall as they have heavy IS-bias and the OOS they tend to accept either have very strong state ties or are from the OOS areas closer to Huntington. WVU, while regional OOS-friendly, loves OOS applicants with high stats (especially GPA) if you have no ties so just keep that in mind. Considering you got interviews last cycle from solid schools, something is telling me you need to work better on your interviewing skills and making a stronger impression. You even got waitlisted at all 4 which means you had something, but you just couldn't close the deal. I think working on those skills will be the difference this cycle b/t an acceptance or a waitlist again. You should have solid chances at DO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Seton halls not opening this cycle
If you are from around philly or eastern PA yeah I would add Cooper