What are my chances? Should I apply? Is it too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ugotmail382

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i just received my MCAT score from 8/18 and I scored a 497(128/121/124/124). This has been so heartbreaking to me and It is much lower than my practice aamc full length scores 509/503/504. I studied for 8 months postponing because I wasn't ready, I took 18 practice exams in total and learned from each one taking each one slowly, I do not know what I should do.

A little background, I have a 3.9 GPA at a pretty high rank university (top 30 in nation) I have good EC's regarding shadowing, research, volunteering, intramural sports, and also 5 great letters of rec where two are from science, one non science, research, and physician.

I put so much effort into studying for this exam, about 7-8 hours each day over the course of 8 months and I never thought I would score below a 500 since I never did on any practice exam. I dont know if taking it again would be wise because I do not know what I would have done differently since I tried my best to understand how to take the test and use logical thinking. That is my biggest problem because I know the material, the problem is critically thinking which has always been a struggle for me.

I just want honest opinions, I do not care whether I go to DO or MD, the fact is that I want to attend a medical school regardless of anything. Is it wise to apply this year or is it too late? I was thinking to apply this year around late September to mainly DO schools and see where it goes, and if I dont make it anywhere then I'd apply next year with a new MCAT score that I'd retake in April or so. I do not know if taking it again would give me an improvement in my score, but as always I would try my best if that is the best option. If it is too late in the cycle that I have no chance, please let me know my chances, my only lacking aspect is my MCAT score in prospective. Also, would applying right now hurt my chances in the future? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You might have a shot at DO if you apply broadly, but your score is a warning sign you'd perform poorly on boards. Personally, I would retake the MCAT and wait until next year. You have a stellar GPA, seemingly great ECs, and if you score 510+ on your retake, you'd have a solid shot at MD and should receive many DO IIs.

Also, find ways to improve your critical thinking skills. That is a prerequisite to becoming a physician.

You might have a shot at DO if you apply broadly, but your score is a warning sign you'd perform poorly on boards. Personally, I would retake the MCAT and wait until next year. You have a stellar GPA, seemingly great ECs, and if you score 510+ on your retake, you'd have a solid shot at MD and should receive many DO IIs.

Also, find ways to improve your critical thinking skills. That is a prerequisite to becoming a physician.
Thank you, So you think I shouldnt apply broadly right now and see if I have any chance? My plan is to retake if I dont get in this cycle. I know critical thinking is a big aspect in becoming a physician, and I believe I have the ability to critically think. However, I believe that my critical thinking on a timed test is what causes me the most problem. I tried so hard to improve my reading and thinking speed but in doing so, I probably fell into many traps during the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, So you think I shouldnt apply broadly right now and see if I have any chance? My plan is to retake if I dont get in this cycle. I know critical thinking is a big aspect in becoming a physician, and I believe I have the ability to critically think. However, I believe that my critical thinking on a timed test is what causes me the most problem. I tried so hard to improve my reading and thinking speed but in doing so, I probably fell into many traps during the exam.

The choice is up to you, but I personally would wait. You may very well get into a DO program this year, but you'll also be screened out of many schools. You'll open many doors for yourself if you improve your score.

Your GPA shows you're a smart person. But unfortunately, you'll run into timed tests throughout medical school. You'll also have to think quickly and under pressure. Your practice exams show that you can do better as well, assuming you took them in test conditions.

Hi @ugotmail382 , I understand how you are feeling right now with your score because I received a 498 (125/125/124/124) on my MCAT in April, however, I have received a total of 4 interviews and 1 acceptance so far during this application cycle. So I think you would have a shot at a few DO schools but it is also past the super early part of the cycle now. The lopsided 121 is not the most attractive either but that could be fixed easily down the road. Assuming you would fix your weaknesses then I'm sure you would do better on the second go-around with the MCAT. I imagine you probably just got nervous on the CARS section? I know for me I thought I destroyed Psych and then walked out with a 124 haha.

Retake. Applying at this later stage w 497 will be tough.

Would be a different story if you applied day 1 with this MCAT, esp with such a high GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
So i just received my MCAT score from 8/18 and I scored a 497(128/121/124/124). This has been so heartbreaking to me and It is much lower than my practice aamc full length scores 509/503/504. I studied for 8 months postponing because I wasn't ready, I took 18 practice exams in total and learned from each one taking each one slowly, I do not know what I should do.

A little background, I have a 3.9 GPA at a pretty high rank university (top 30 in nation) I have good EC's regarding shadowing, research, volunteering, intramural sports, and also 5 great letters of rec where two are from science, one non science, research, and physician.

I put so much effort into studying for this exam, about 7-8 hours each day over the course of 8 months and I never thought I would score below a 500 since I never did on any practice exam. I dont know if taking it again would be wise because I do not know what I would have done differently since I tried my best to understand how to take the test and use logical thinking. That is my biggest problem because I know the material, the problem is critically thinking which has always been a struggle for me.

I just want honest opinions, I do not care whether I go to DO or MD, the fact is that I want to attend a medical school regardless of anything. Is it wise to apply this year or is it too late? I was thinking to apply this year around late September to mainly DO schools and see where it goes, and if I dont make it anywhere then I'd apply next year with a new MCAT score that I'd retake in April or so. I do not know if taking it again would give me an improvement in my score, but as always I would try my best if that is the best option. If it is too late in the cycle that I have no chance, please let me know my chances, my only lacking aspect is my MCAT score in prospective. Also, would applying right now hurt my chances in the future? Thank you
Chances poor. I can't recommend applying with a score that low.

Don't do this to yourself. Retake the exam. Show some resilience

Look at VCOM and liberty Ive seen lesser stats get in, even this late. If you don't get in just retake and try again.

I've been there, the decision is difficult. If it were earlier in the cycle I would have said shoot for DO schools. But I think it's in your best interest to retake that exam and no matter what, improve your score, whatever it takes, show improvement. Looks like there is room for improvement in every section. Only you can answer the question on how you can achieve that. Maybe you have some test anxiety?

If you apply right now, you would possibly end up being a reapplicant to a lot of schools, cash down the drain, and spirit crushed. Trust me, I've been there. Just retake the early next year, apply early knowing your score, and feel good that it'll be your first cycle all in. Don't go down my route of disappointment and bad choices, it's very hard to climb out of.