This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wut?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a sophomore interested in applying to med school and I'm a little worried about how my chances look right now. I currently have 2 C's, 2 C+ and a D (pre calc) on my transcript. I plan on retaking the class I got a D in but I'm worried about how med schools are going to view me when I apply. Do I still stand a chance at getting accepted to a mid tier md school? Thanks!

Update: The rest of my grades are B's/B-'s/A-/A if that helps

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your grades right now aren't a death sentence perse, but you should get into the 3.5+ territory from here on out if you want to get accepted into any tier med school.

Reactions: 1 user
What is your current grade? Either way, what you need to do is maintain the highest cGPA/sGPA you can get and try to get as many As as possible from now on, especially in pre-req classes. You still have two more years so your chances depend entirely on your performance. Med schools wont care much if your gpa is good and as long as you show improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I get mostly A's from here on, my science gpa would be approximately a 3.3-3.4 and my cumulative gpa would be approx. a 3.5-3.6 when I apply to med school. If I have a good mcat (like 30+) and have good EC's, are my chances okay?

If I get mostly A's from here on, my science gpa would be approximately a 3.3-3.4 and my cumulative gpa would be approx. a 3.5-3.6 when I apply to med school. If I have a good mcat (like 30+) and have good EC's, are my chances okay?

If your GPA is too low, you won't make cutoffs for a lot of MD schools, and they won't look at your file. That said, outside of top tier schools, you'd at least have your application looked at with that theoretical GPA.

Upward trend is your goal from now on. You need to show admissions committees that you're not an academic risk, and you need to do that by doing incredibly well in upper division science courses and on the MCAT. At this point, you're looking at near straight A's (a few B's at MOST) to be MD competitive. Never ever bank on extracurriculars/letters alone to pull you an MD acceptance.

If you continue getting a lot of B's and a C here or there, you'll most likely still be competitive for DO schools and possibly lenient in state MD school(s).

Word of advice from someone who had a semester with two D's and a C though: start thinking about how you're going to spin that D into a learning experience. It stays on your record (for MD) even after the retake. You really SHOULD have learned from it, and in some sense it can be a positive thing to demonstrate you know how to fail and learn from it. That perfect 4.0 student can't demonstrate they know how to handle failure, and everyone in medical school is going to experience some kind of failure, even if it's just not living up to your own expectations. Not saying it outweighs the cons of a jeopardized GPA, but it can have some small positive aspects to it.

Hi, I'm currently a sophomore interested in applying to med school and I'm a little worried about how my chances look right now. I currently have 2 C's, 2 C+ and a D (pre calc) on my transcript. I plan on retaking the class I got a D in but I'm worried about how med schools are going to view me when I apply. Do I still stand a chance at getting accepted to a mid tier md school? Thanks!

Update: The rest of my grades are B's/B-'s/A-/A if that helps

Right now chances are probably super low. There are plenty of people who didn't get 4 C's and a D in their time during undergrad. Your best option right now is to ace (and I mean ace) the rest of undergrad, kill the MCAT, and retake those C/D courses in a DIY postbacc. It's been done before, and you can do it too. Consider DO too, as they will replace your grade fully with a new retake grade, whereas MD schools will average the two. (And that F will hurt even if averaged with an A.)

Good luck to you OP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile