What are my chances status post interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phant0m0o0o

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what my chances are after interview at a Texas school. Only thing glaring is my ~3.0 GPA but with a vertical upward trend. I believe I interviewed very well as one interviewer said he would fight on my behalf. Will the GPA kill my chances of getting accepted when they take a second look at my application after interviews? Sorry its just near pre-match time and I am going absolutely banana's. :diebanana:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing that they were willing to overlook your GPA because of other aspects of your application... Or else you wouldn't have gotten an interview there. Always good to have someone on the admissions team ready to help you! No one can answer your question though... Guess you'll have to wait a few days like the rest of us :) I hope we both get offers at midnight on the 15th!

I believe I might die due to anxiety. I am usually a very relaxed person too :( I definitely am rooting for you to get in on pre-match too because that would be a pretty fantastic day.

One other thing, should I update the schools I have applied to that I have just initiated Texas Fresh Start in the last week? I know you can report it when you first begin applications, but I just recently signed up for it for this coming Spring semester. It would delete 2 full semesters of straight F's and increased my cGPA to ~3.6

Members don't see this ad :)
I am split on that issue. I have heard of people getting wait-listed because of their GPA or the MCAT score, which is frustrating for the student. I think most people do think that once you're interviewing everything and everyone is on the same footing, but from what I've been hearing, some schools don't see it that way. People with the highest GPA and MCAT who do decently at the interview get accepted and others get wait-listed. Also, I think that if you had solid letters of rec that can also give you a boost. Of course, if you have the interviewer's approval, I think you might have a great chance since you clearly made a positive impression that other applicants may not have achieved during your interview.

However, if it helps, I think you have one in three chances of getting accepted at schools after you reach the point of interview for DO schools. Good luck!

Yes I am a Texas state resident and my letters of recommendation are phenomenal from very close teachers/physicians/dean's/free clinic. They specifically all told me they would write me the very best letter possible as I stressed the importance of it due to my lower GPA. They all are also very good writers unlike me lol.

I am split on that issue. I have heard of people getting wait-listed because of their GPA or the MCAT score, which is frustrating for the student. I think most people do think that once you're interviewing everything and everyone is on the same footing, but from what I've been hearing, some schools don't see it that way. People with the highest GPA and MCAT who do decently at the interview get accepted and others get wait-listed. Also, I think that if you had solid letters of rec that can also give you a boost. Of course, if you have the interviewer's approval, I think you might have a great chance since you clearly made a positive impression that other applicants may not have achieved during your interview.

However, if it helps, I think you have one in three chances of getting accepted at schools after you reach the point of interview for DO schools. Good luck!

The proportion of people accepted post-interview can be anywhere from 1/4 to nearly 1/2 depending on the school from what I've seen. Some prefer to interview more and accept less, or vice versa, or some simply accept more to account for high attrition rates from the accepted pool.

I do think the idea that everyone interviewing is on equal footing is false. All of the schools where the process has been explained to me have said something along the lines of they have a numerical ranking system that accounts for GPA, MCAT, EC's, LORs, etc. You're extended an interview invite based on how you score overall. After the interview you're given another numerical score which is added to your previous number. Come time to extend acceptances they simply take the top X number of people based on these rankings.

Then again, my sample size isn't huge, so I'm sure there are other schools that do things differently.

Either way, OP, if they invited you for an interview your GPA clearly wasn't a deal breaker in their eyes. Good luck!