What are my Chances/Too Late to Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanita23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I am a pre podiatry student and I am finishing school this May. I am a Bio major, double minor in Mol/Cell Bio + Neuroscience and my GPA is a 3.1. I got a 20R on the MCAT and I wanted to re-take it in the summer and apply to pod-schools for January. However, after reading some threads, it seems that a 20 MCAT score is about average and I could apply now in order to start in August 2011 as supposed to January 2012. What are my chances with those stats? Do you think that at this point is probably too late to apply for August? I know the final deadline is in June 2011, but I have some financial constraints and I unfortunately can't take the chance to apply if the chances of getting in are low. By the way, my top choices are NYCPM and Barry, because of the dual DPM/MPH programs, but I am also interested in Temple Western and OCPM.
Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!
I am a pre podiatry student and I am finishing school this May. I am a Bio major, double minor in Mol/Cell Bio + Neuroscience and my GPA is a 3.1. I got a 20R on the MCAT and I wanted to re-take it in the summer and apply to pod-schools for January. However, after reading some threads, it seems that a 20 MCAT score is about average and I could apply now in order to start in August 2011 as supposed to January 2012. What are my chances with those stats? Do you think that at this point is probably too late to apply for August? I know the final deadline is in June 2011, but I have some financial constraints and I unfortunately can't take the chance to apply if the chances of getting in are low. By the way, my top choices are NYCPM and Barry, because of the dual DPM/MPH programs, but I am also interested in Temple Western and OCPM.
Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

If the only reason you are interested in nycpm and barry is because of the dual degrees then you havnt done your research my friend!

Temple, Scholl, and DMU all have dual degree programs. Temple has a MPH degree and Scholl/DMU have a few similar degree programs.

I have heard of stories of people getting accepted really late so you can apply a week before the deadline and still get in. This is more so true at the big schools (Temple and OCPM) than the small ones (western/cspm etc).

Get your app ready and go for it. I had similar stats to you (Molec Bio/Neuroscience Major 3.1/22P) and got accepted everywhere I applied to.

If the only reason you are interested in nycpm and barry is because of the dual degrees then you havnt done your research my friend!

Temple, Scholl, and DMU all have dual degree programs. Temple has a MPH degree and Scholl/DMU have a few similar degree programs.

I have heard of stories of people getting accepted really late so you can apply a week before the deadline and still get in. This is more so true at the big schools (Temple and OCPM) than the small ones (western/cspm etc).

Get your app ready and go for it. I had similar stats to you (Molec Bio/Neuroscience Major 3.1/22P) and got accepted everywhere I applied to.

First, Thank you for getting back to me! I should have been more specific. The dual degree is not the only reason why I chose Barry and NYCPM, those are my top choices though. I have been to the NYCPM open house and (from what they said) their stats seem pretty good: 99% residence placing and top scores on the boards. On Barry's website, they address those points as well and it also appears to be good choice based on their stats. I have heard excellent things about DMU and Temple, but I am not sure if those are my desired locations in order to go to school for 4+ years; since I have family living close to both Barry and New York, I consider that another reason why applying to those schools. I am also applying to temple and Western, just in case I don't get into any of my top choices.
I am certainly getting my application ready ASAP, I honestly can't wait to start Pod School! I have been shadowing a podiatrist and it has been an awesome experience!
Thanks again for your feedback, it is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
:p

Last edited:
just an FYI,

during my interview with Barry they told me that they are phasing out the DPM/MPH dual degree option and instead replacing it with a DPM/MHSA (health services administration).

josebiwasabi: really? wow that is good to know! MHSA sounds like a good complement to the DPM program though. Thanks for the info! Do you know when are they planning on implementing it?
Sabin, it would be awesome to go to Barry! I have heard that podiatry students get exposure to a great variety of cases there. Congrats on getting accepted btw!
:)

josebiwasabi: really? wow that is good to know! MHSA sounds like a good complement to the DPM program though. Thanks for the info! Do you know when are they planning on implementing it?
Sabin, it would be awesome to go to Barry! I have heard that podiatry students get exposure to a great variety of cases there. Congrats on getting accepted btw!
:)

i graduated from barry it was an amazing experience. i felt i was better prepared than students from other schools. lots of variety. and best no snow!!!!!!!!!!!!

i graduated from barry it was an amazing experience. i felt i was better prepared than students from other schools. lots of variety. and best no snow!!!!!!!!!!!!

no... but you do have hurricanes!