What are my chances? URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

77deuce

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a large state school: 3.58 cGPA 3.48 sGPA (AA Male).

Here are what my stats should look like when I apply:

-200 hours of volunteering at hospital in Transport Dept. (7 Months)
-20 Hours Shadowing a Pulmonologist (2 summers ago, but it’s hard to find more Doctors willing to let me shadow)
-2 Semesters as Tutor for gen chem
-2 summers of working as a lifeguard at my community pool
-1 Year of work at my University’s Police Dept.- watching security cameras, writing reports, and using the police radio when necessary. I also received an award :) (12h/wk)
- 2 Semesters in Kinesiology Student Organization
-Hobbies: Working out (4hr/wk)
-No research, but working on finding something for this semester.
- Only ~25hrs of Non-Clinical Volunteering from Organizations
- I earned Cs in Orgo 1 lab and Biochemistry lecture, which is something that also concerns me
-Unknown MCAT (but assume ~508)

-I plan on applying this summer and taking a gap year to work, volunteer once a week, and hopefully do research.

Please let me know what kinds of schools you think that I could get into with these stats, and what areas I should really focus on improving during my upcoming last semester. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You can go just about anywhere with a 508.
Come back with a real MCAT and we'll be glad to help!

Hey! I'm back and need a little bit of advice. I've been offered a position in an organic chemistry lab that would require me to put in 15 hrs/wk for 1 year. I was excited at first, but realized that this would slightly cut into my MCAT study time that I had planned for this semester(~20-25 hrs/wk) while taking 15 credit hours. I already have 130 hours of studying under my belt, so that would put me at ~400 hours come my April MCAT.

My Questions:
1. Could the time that I would spend doing research be better allocated to just studying for the MCAT (i.e. don't do the research).
OR
2. Would it it be wise to drop my course load to 12 credits to make room for research and MCAT studying? Then, I would just take the dropped course this summer.

Sorry for the long response!

Hey! I'm back and need a little bit of advice. I've been offered a position in an organic chemistry lab that would require me to put in 15 hrs/wk for 1 year. I was excited at first, but realized that this would slightly cut into my MCAT study time that I had planned for this semester(~20-25 hrs/wk) while taking 15 credit hours. I already have 130 hours of studying under my belt, so that would put me at ~400 hours come my April MCAT.

My Questions:
1. Could the time that I would spend doing research be better allocated to just studying for the MCAT (i.e. don't do the research).
OR
2. Would it it be wise to drop my course load to 12 credits to make room for research and MCAT studying? Then, I would just take the dropped course this summer.

Sorry for the long response!

You already have a thread on this, the advice won't change. You need to focus on the MCAT