MD What are my chances? What do I lack?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scottybear24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.90 GPA. I have over 75 clinical hours in a hospital setting in tons of different specialties and over 300 hours of patient care as a PT tech. I am currently applying for research programs, but I have lots of lab experience from the university. I haven't taken my MCAT yet, but I am preparing for it a lot! What kinda makes me unique is that I served a volunteer, two year mission in Scotland, England and Ireland.

What are my chances and what do I lack on my resume?

Members don't see this ad.

Come back when you have a MCAT score. In the meantime: what is your sGPA, state of residence, UIM? Any shadowing? How about service to the underserved in your community(homeless shelters, soup kitchens, Habitat for Humanity)? Any leadership?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Come back when you have a MCAT score. In the meantime: what is your sGPA, state of residence, UIM? Any shadowing? How about service to the underserved in your community(homeless shelters, soup kitchens, Habitat for Humanity)? Any leadership?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
My sGPA is a 3.89. I am a resident of Arizona. I don't know what UIM means (sorry). Those 75 clinical hours were shadowing (in 5 different specialties). I have served in the undeserved community by doing soup kitchens, coaching baseball in bad areas, etc. I have leadership experience in that two year mission that I served where I was in charge of 60+ missionaries. I also hold a high position in my church (oversee all missionary work).

Right now, a good MCAT score.

Your lab experience...that's not your coursework, is it? If so, that doesn't count. No fear, there are plenty of med schools that can overlook that.

What you need is non-clinical volunteering in the service of others, preferably to those less fortunate than yourself.

Primarily religious missions are to be included in your app to explain what you were doing during the time you were serving. This service does not hurt your application. If you are able to describe how these experiences developed your self-understanding or a deeper respect for the value of others' beliefs, these experiences (not the "mission") can give you a more interesting application.

Missions whose primary purpose is the conversion of others to your belief system fall flat as a resume builder, even though you have a constitutional right to pursue this activity. You don’t get bonus points for trying to convert the heathens.

Medical missions are regarded as “medical tourism” by most of my Adcom colleagues. We know that most of them are really trips to the old country where the applicant went to visit Nana/Abuela/Halmeoni/Daadee/Zǔmǔ and maybe once chatted with a local doctor. As such, they’re discounted by Adcoms. For more info, see: http://almost.thedoctorschannel.com/14323-2/

I have a 3.90 GPA. I have over 75 clinical hours in a hospital setting in tons of different specialties and over 300 hours of patient care as a PT tech. I am currently applying for research programs, but I have lots of lab experience from the university. I haven't taken my MCAT yet, but I am preparing for it a lot! What kinda makes me unique is that I served a volunteer, two year mission in Scotland, England and Ireland.

What are my chances and what do I lack on my resume?