What are my chances wise attendings? ( COVID changed my plans)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavGas

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I 've been following this forum a lot for my anesthesia education and it has been really helpful so far. I am just wrapping up my anesthesia internship in my home country and I was always thinking to pursue further residency training in the US so I thought I would ask everybody's opinion here..

I was planning to do a 4 week observership this summer so I can obtain a LOR from an American attending, however COVID messed everything up.
So now I am just another IMG with only 4 weeks of USCE 3 years ago as a student in surgery, 1 year of medical service in the army and 1 year of anesthesia residency.
I think my only plus is the step scores which are decent ( 1-262, 2-274).

Any tips, advice, wisdom would be really appreciated!

Regards,
an aspiring anesthesia resident

Members don't see this ad.

You been following current events lately, and you still want to come here????

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everybody!

I 've been following this forum a lot for my anesthesia education and it has been really helpful so far. I am just wrapping up my anesthesia internship in my home country and I was always thinking to pursue further residency training in the US so I thought I would ask everybody's opinion here..

I was planning to do a 4 week observership this summer so I can obtain a LOR from an American attending, however COVID messed everything up.
So now I am just another IMG with only 4 weeks of USCE 3 years ago as a student in surgery, 1 year of medical service in the army and 1 year of anesthesia residency.
I think my only plus is the step scores which are decent ( 1-262, 2-274).

Any tips, advice, wisdom would be really appreciated!

Regards,
an aspiring anesthesia resident

Those scores will land you in some anesthesia residency somewhere. Don't worry much!

Reactions: 1 users
Those scores will land you in some anesthesia residency somewhere. Don't worry much!

dont know about that. there are many IMG's with very high scores. i know of people who scored 99 percentile on all steps but fail to match. The standards are higher for IMGs possibly bc they can spend much more time studying purely for exam where as US Med students get only a few weeks.

High scores certainly help but it doesnt guarantee anything