What are my chances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by SClENCE, 10.28.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. SClENCE

SClENCE 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm not sure if I will get instantly rejected my most schools or receive interviews as my stats are all over the place.

3.05 GPA with Degree in Biology and Chemistry minor

I have one W on my application (Calc 2) and two retakes (D+ to a B in ochem 1 and a C+ to A in micro).
    I have a C in biochem 1 and 2, physics 1, A&P 2, vert zoology, and ochem 2

A's in calc and all of the basic science/chem classes like ornithology, botany, cell bio, gen chem, etc. GenEds are all A's/B's

My entire senior year of college I would have had a 4.0 if it wasn't for C's in biochem 1&2. Had a 4.0 my first semester of my freshman year. My sophomore year was TERRIBLE

My PCAT:

Verbal - 87
    RC - 86
    Chem - 93
    Bio - 79
    Quant - 72
    Comp - 90

I am currently working 30+ hours a week as a pharmacy tech at CVS with 5 months experience

I'm looking into applying to Ohio State and then several "lower tier" schools
    Do I fall within the competitive range? Am I a long shot? I know my GPA is below average for EVERY school while my PCAT is above competitive for EVERY school so i'm not sure what to expect

Last edited: 12.08.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gwath

gwath

Pre-Pharmacy
    You sound really competitive. I wouldn't worry if I were you. You're definitely getting in somewhere.

Your GPA is weak, but your PCAT balances that.

SClENCE likes this.
  4. PharmDCandidate2014

PharmDCandidate2014 Organ Donor

Dental Student
    You'll be fine.

In-state schools tend to be more competitive: 3.0 GPA, 80 PCAT seem to be the norm there according to PharmCAS.
    For-profit/private schools are much more lax with academic requirements: 2.4 GPA, 50 PCAT is about the norm.

Your CV is strong and has some good, quality experiential work there.

Good luck!

5. kaidou1412

kaidou1412 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Verified
    Army
    ergh what? 2.4 GPA with 50 PCAT is norm? is this academic requirement for pharmacy tech?

6. oldstock

oldstock Banned Banned

if you look at past posts here in this forum, you might see that 10s-20s percentile on the PCAT and GPA like 2.0s do get in a lot of good places (e.g. U of Arizona)...

from what I have seen, 3.os GPA is considered a "competitive" score now, so is 50 percentile on the PCAT.

7. Digsbe

Digsbe 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I don't know of any school where the norm is a 2.4GPA and a 50 PCAT. That might be a minimum req for not having an app thrown out but I don't know of any school where that is the average. Heck, if you kept that kind of GPA in pharmacy school many programs would put you on academic probation.

I go to a private school and our average is around ~3.3 with a 65+ PCAT. Average means that some are higher while others are lower, with a 3.05 I'd say you are probably still competitive in most programs. If your transcript shows wide GPA disparity you may want to be able to explain why certain semesters were a struggle. I had a year where my Ugrad GPA wasn't what I wanted because my grandmother was sick and passed away (dropped a calc class) and I was working ~20 hours a week.

8. tbear15

tbear15

Pre-Pharmacy
    A person with a 2.4 gpa & 90+ pcat OR >3.5 gpa& 50 pcat may get accepted into pharmacy school, but it's ridiculous and unbelievable if you say a 2.4 GPA & 50 PCAT is about the norm.

9. SouthStudent31

SouthStudent31 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I have a 3.0 in my Sci/Math and have been through some abnormal hardship, I hope I do well enough on the PCAT to get in somewhere, I've spoken to some colleagues of mine and to some of their friends that pre-acceptance had lesser grades than I and a few with hardly any experience. also some of them had PCAT scores ranging from 50-70max soooo... even with all that I'm still nervous about getting in somewhere :annoyed: :cyclops::oops:

10. Sgriz97

Sgriz97

Pre-Medical
    Your PCAT score is pretty strong, so that will balance out your GPA. You also have a decent amount of experience working in a pharmacy, which is good. I have no doubts that you will get in somewhere. Good luck!!!

SClENCE likes this.
  11. SClENCE

SClENCE 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not really sure what the one guy was talking about but obviously a 2.4 and 50 PCAT won't get you in anywhere.

I was just asking about my stats - I'm pretty hopeful though I still need to get my LORs so I will probably not be able to apply until end of November when my PCAT is final and my LORs are in

12. RxStudentatUB

RxStudentatUB

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Pharmacy school isn't too competitive nowadays, so I like the OP's chances of getting in to a school, as long as applications are sent to more than one school.

SClENCE likes this.
  13. bubblesoccer

bubblesoccer

I'm also applying to Ohio State, it's my first choice and I'm worried I won't get an interview. my stats: 3.37 GPA and 76 PCAT (with a 95 on the chem section), I do have 2 years of pharm tech experience (which would be the only reason I would get in considering my stats aren't very competitive)... You would definitely get into NEOMED and other schools because your PCAT is very high. However, for OSU you never know, I heard of some students getting in with 2.8-3.0 GPA's so they must've had high PCAT scores like you.

14. Mur7ay

Mur7ay 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Your stats are fine just apply to multiple school

15. Mur7ay

Mur7ay 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Schools**

About the ads