what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrisol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
im applying to ireland for 5 year med school program and was wondering what my chances are considering i had a great high school GPA and extensive experience, volunteerism, and really really good letters of recommendation? (PS: sorry that its really really really long lol)

country of origin: canada
studying: bio sci
High School GPA: 94%, with mid 90s in all sciences
University GPA: 76%
no MCAT

my father has suffered from 4 heart attacks and a quintuple bypass and heart disease runs in my family. so it is for that reason that i want to go into medicine. its all ive ever wanted to to do and is my passion.

total volunteering: +1000 hrs
what ive done:
-im co-author of a 300+ pg medical textbook
-assisted angioplasty on rabbits
-published twice in the american college of cardiology,
-have worked at cardiac hospital for 5 years where i have shadowed open heart surgery, medical conferencing, clinic, interventional caridology, etc.
-worked in a lab for a summer where i performed gel electrophoresis, and pcr
-recently hired by a top researcher for this coming summer and possibly year if i dont get into medicine.
-I have volunteered at vet clinic for two years where i started clinical appointments, raised new born kittens, and shadowed surgery
-graduated high school with top honours and top five in my grade,
-have been a member of a provincial and nationally ranked competitive cheerleading team for 8 years.
-founder of my own food drive that was written up about in the Canadian Jewish Newspaper,
-orientation volunteer at unviersity for 3 years,
-senior editor of my high school year book which won an award from the publishers,
-went on a humanitarian computer aid project in kenya where we taught teachers to use computers and donated $20,000 of school supplies to an orphanage and school
-have tutored in spansih and calculus,
-speak french and spanish fluently,
-published and created 3 pediatric surgical guides for a hospital,
-leader in an anti-bullying campaign sponsored by the CFL,
-member of drama club
-spanish club member
-member of a mood disorders committee
-leadership award, ultiamte athlete and most imporved awards in cheerleading
-recipient of a national cheerleading scholarship for outstanding academics and athletics,
-went on a spansih exchange in costa rica,
-hospital volunteer in day surgery and emergency clinic
-traveling through asia this summer to learn about other cultures

Letters from:
- VP of my high school who was my chem teacher and went on my trip to Kenya (it was a school thing)
- 2 mentors in cardiology, very well respected at the hospital which is one of the top cardiac hospitals world wide (in fact, banting and best discvoered insulin there :D)
- academic mentor for over 10 years who has a son who graduated from Trinity, has a daughter and husband who are all physicians as well and wrote me a character reference

so basically, i had an outstanding high school GPA and a 76% in university, but i have a ton of experience
thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your cGPA? Great ECs and high school grades btw.

thank you! my EC are really something i pride myself on. i believe that experience makes a person more well rounded. im also planning on volunteering when i return from my trip. :) on the 4.3 GPA scale its a 3.5.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you! my EC are really something i pride myself on. i believe that experience makes a person more well rounded. im also planning on volunteering when i return from my trip. :) on the 4.3 GPA scale its a 3.5.

I think you have a good chance. Its definitely worth applying. The 5 year programs mainly take high school students in Ireland so someone from North America with good high school grades + university and more ECs will be valuable to them.

I'm confident you would've gotten in had you applied in high school to the 6 year program so i'm pretty confident they'll take you for the 5 year program now. Of course if your uni GPA was abysmal than it could reduce your chances, but I think your uni GPA is acceptable.

thanks. ya i know. thats what makes this whole process for frustrating. i would have gotten in after high school but now im graduating from university so its a different story. i can only apply to NUIG and Trinity since i dont have mcats. i also have 4 letters of recommendation two from my mentors (doctors), one from the VP of my high school who was also my chem teacher and went on the trip to kenya with me, and one from a tutor who worked with throughout school who has a son who attended trinity and has a daughter whose also a doctor and a husband whose also a doctor

Reactions: 1 user
Your university GPA is a slight blemish however HOLY EXTRACARICULAR ACTIVITIES!
I'm sure you will have no problem finding a university to take you, especially with such a colorful past!
It is quite clear that you are passionate about medicine and I'm sure that any university can recognize that right away.

But why no MCAT?
Thing the test will open your options immensely.

haha thanks! medicine is all i want to do with my life and i just hope that my GPA wont cost me that opportunity. unforuntaely, university is not hands on nor applicable to every day life, but as a doctor you are constantly applying knowledge and doing work hands on and thats what im good at.

as far as mcats go, ive written it twice, and my brain just doesnt work that way. i may rewrite it in april, but id much prefer to get in without having to write them again.