What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently Biology major. I am worried about my chances of getting into medical school because of the whole showing "passion." I know I am passionate about helping others, but I'm sure every applicant feels the same. I do not know how I can stand out.... Here is what I have been involved in since my freshman year:

I was the President of an Honors Society (1 year)
I tutor kids during the summer to help keep their academic momentum going (plan to do for 4 years)
I help out in a neurosurgery research lab (is it important that I do my own research?) (plan to do for 3 years)
I volunteer in the hospital (plan to do for 3 years)
I go abroad once a quarter to provide free medical check-ups (plan to do for 3 years)
I've shadowed (and will continue to do so)
I also hula dance (but not my entire life) (3 years in college)

As you can see, I am involved in so many different things. I'm worried that admissions will think I have no passion for any of these things and that I stretched myself too thin. I also noticed that I am doing things that most other pre-meds do....

I don't want to just drop everything either...what should I do to stand out? Is it strange that I am a biology major without any environment/animal involvements? I am that major because I find studying the environment, ecology, and animals interesting and I feel that I wont have an opportunity to learn about those areas while in med school.

GPA: 3.8 (is this really low?)
MCAT: 517 (Is this low?)

Members don't see this ad.

Stats are great. ECs are ok. I don't think you should be afraid of getting involved in many things, but make sure you actually want to do it. As long as you are genuine and take leadership, you'll be fine. Make sure all your experiences are valuable and mean something to you. To stand out- I would just ask myself, what do I deeply have a passion about? The hula dance is pretty cool. Try to add in some non hospital volunteering too in a field you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
With stats like that OP you have nothing to worry about