This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iccebreaker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.8 GPA (3.7 sGPA), 504 MCAT, Part of my university's Honors College program, 50 hours research, 400 hours shadowing (4 different physicians including a D.O.), 80 hours clinical volunteering helping patients at a major Florida hospital, 40 hours university volunteering and tri-lingual. Leadership role as an officer in major official school sport club, all very good LoRs and on the Dean's List. I applied M.D. and D.O. this cycle, and although different, my dream schools are NOVA, FSU and FIU (in that order).

I applied to:

NOVA & LECOM (D.O.)
FIU, FSU, UCF, USF, UF, UM, FAU, University of South Carolina Greenville, Morehouse-CoM (M.D.)

I know I'm on the low end for all of the M.D. schools, but given that my favorite schools are FSU and NOVA, what do you guys think my chances are at those schools given I am a Florida Resident? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a 3.8 GPA (3.7 sGPA), 504 MCAT, 50 hours research, 400 hours shadowing (4 different physicians including a D.O.), 80 hours clinical volunteering, 40 hours university volunteering. Leadership role in major school sports club, all very good LoRs. I applied M.D. and D.O. this cycle, and although different, my dream schools are NOVA, FSU and FIU (in that order).

I applied to:

NOVA & LECOM (D.O.)
FIU, FSU, UCF, USF, UF, UM, FAU, University of South Carolina Greenville, Morehouse-CoM (M.D.)

I know I'm on the low end for all of the M.D. schools, but given that my favorite schools are FSU and NOVA, what do you guys think my chances are at those schools given I am a Florida Resident? Thank you!
Probably a decent chance at the DO schools, your ECs aren't great tho.

Probably a decent chance at the DO schools, your ECs aren't great tho.

I forgot to add a couple things (see original post), but what else would I need to be a more competitive applicant EC wise? I've been told I have plenty, what would your recommendations be?

I forgot to add a couple things (see original post), but what else would I need to be a more competitive applicant EC wise? I've been told I have plenty, what would your recommendations be?
They aren't terrible, but you are way too high on shadowing and low on research and volunteering.