What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaboof

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post so please excuse me if I violate some kind of guidelines for posting. I just wanted some advice as what my best course of action is.

Some background. I recently graduated from a state school with a double major in applied math and biology (5 years) with a 3.15 cgpa and similar sgpa. When I started undergrad, I had a lot of c's but ended up on the deans list a few times towards the end so there was an upward trend. Other than that, my undergrad was pretty uneventful, no EC's, no shadowing, etc. It wasn't until my last year that I decided to pursue medicine.

I knew I would need a year off to build my application which is what I'm currently doing. I'm a TA in organic chemistry at my old school, conduct NIH approved research at a neurobiology lab and volunteer in an ER. I have yet to take the mcat but am scoring in the 510 range on the practice exams.

I feel my best course of action is to apply to an smp which I don't think should be too difficult. If I get accepted into the smp, I'm looking at a 2019 enrollment into med school (I'll be 25). Is this too late? I feel I kinda dug myself a hole by being so inactive in undergrad. I failed to make any connections but I do feel as if I'm slowly but surely getting back on track. Is doing an smp wise? Any tips on how to make connections?

I realize I'm no where near the perfect candidate which is why I'm looking for advice. I am open to any suggestions. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Come back and ask the same question when you HAVE taken the MCAT

2. Get more A's on your transcript post-bacc

3. I'm 53. Do the math :) (obviously, I'm farrrr from the perfect candidate either :D )