What are my chances.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MavsFanForLife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residency: Kansas
sGPA ~ 3.28
oGPA ~ 3.4
DAT Scores: AA:21 TS:21 RC: 23 BIO:20 GC:24 OC:22 PAT:18 QR: 16
thousands of hours community service (2 year mission trip and one week dental trip to Honduras)
Good leadership experience and 100+ hours shadowing

Members don't see this ad.

sGPA ~ 3.28
oGPA ~ 3.4
thousands of hours community service (2 year mission trip and one week dental trip to Honduras)

By 2 year mission trip are you referring to an LDS mission? Because there are some stipulations around those. If it was an LDS mission was it proselyting or an actual call for humanitarian service?

No one can really say for a certainty if you’re going to be admitted or not. Personally I think you’d be fine. Apply wisely to schools in your GPA range and on the first day.

However, your chances of admission really depends on how well you construct your application. GPA and DAT only go so far. Your personal statement and what you’ve learned while shadowing and in service are important factors as well, apart from the number of hours in each category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am referring to an LDS mission! I was proselyting, but being in an Islamic country I did more humanitarian work than anything else. As far as my mission trip goes, what would you suggest I put on my application (# of hours, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am referring to an LDS mission! I was proselyting, but being in an Islamic country I did more humanitarian work than anything else. As far as my mission trip goes, what would you suggest I put on my application (# of hours, etc.)

The common mistake made is by putting up thousands of hours. This raises big questions as you cannot physically be serving 24hrs/day. Even in a humanitarian mission. You eat, sleep, study, and have down time. An academic Health counselor at BYU once said the average is around 150 hours of actual service in a mission. If it was truly more humanitarian you need to take a look at the average amount of service hours you did per week and be able to reasonably back them up in your explanation. I wouldn’t imagine you were over 300 but might be well into the 200 hr range.

Also faith based schools such as Creighton, Marquette etc love faith based service (especially Creighton).

Reactions: 2 users
The common mistake made is by putting up thousands of hours. This raises big questions as you cannot physically be serving 24hrs/day. Even in a humanitarian mission. You eat, sleep, study, and have down time. An academic Health counselor at BYU once said the average is around 150 hours of actual service in a mission. If it was truly more humanitarian you need to take a look at the average amount of service hours you did per week and be able to reasonably back them up in your explanation. I wouldn’t imagine you were over 300 but might be well into the 200 hr range.

Also faith based schools such as Creighton, Marquette etc love faith based service (especially Creighton).

thats great info..

sGPA ~ 3.28
oGPA ~ 3.4
I think you have a very good chance. I applied this cycle with very similar stats and got 8 interviews and 3 acceptances. Im still waitlisted at the other 5. I applied to 15 schools if that helps. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a very good chance. I applied this cycle with very similar stats and got 8 interviews and 3 acceptances. Im still waitlisted at the other 5. I applied to 15 schools if that helps. Good luck!!

Thank you! What schools did you get interviews at? And congrats and your acceptances!

Thank you! What schools did you get interviews at? And congrats and your acceptances!
Thank you! I interviewed at LECOM, midwestern-IL, Pitt, Stonybrook, ASDOH, Louisville, Touro, and UDM.