This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbbayinah

Reaction score
Hey all, kinda hyperventilating over here so I thought I’d bring it to the forum to see if I’m right to be freaking out.

I’m currently applying to 10 schools (is that too many..?) and kinda wanna get other ppls options on what my chances might be. Here’s a little background:
I just finished my masters in biomedical sciences with a concentration in medical simulation in May. I worked at an optometrists office for a little over a year. I’m currently taking a gap year for applications and I’m not working at the moment, gonna start up again In Dec, I’ve just been trying to study for my OATs. I planned on having everything done by end of October but basically time got away from me and I pushed back my OATs till end of Nov. I’ve yet to submit any applications, hoping to start submitting within the next few weeks. Standings:

Masters GPA: 3.36 (but I did retake a few classes)
College GPA: a little above a 3.0
Experience: 1.5 years as optometry tech
Volunteer work: mainly in my college days (do they still apply..?)
OAT: pending.

With my current GPA what score on my OATs should I be shooting for? Could I make due with a 300? Or should I be scoring more in the 320 range? If I submit applications end of November/beginning of Dec is that gonna hurt me? Is having a masters degree gonna help a lot, or is it a “meh doesn’t really help but it doesn’t hurt” kind of a situation? What else should I be doing to have a better chance of getting in?

Please let me know what you think/what I should do!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, kinda hyperventilating over here so I thought I’d bring it to the forum to see if I’m right to be freaking out.

I’m currently applying to 10 schools (is that too many..?) and kinda wanna get other ppls options on what my chances might be. Here’s a little background:
I just finished my masters in biomedical sciences with a concentration in medical simulation in May. I worked at an optometrists office for a little over a year. I’m currently taking a gap year for applications and I’m not working at the moment, gonna start up again In Dec, I’ve just been trying to study for my OATs. I planned on having everything done by end of October but basically time got away from me and I pushed back my OATs till end of Nov. I’ve yet to submit any applications, hoping to start submitting within the next few weeks. Standings:

Masters GPA: 3.36 (but I did retake a few classes)
College GPA: a little above a 3.0
Experience: 1.5 years as optometry tech
Volunteer work: mainly in my college days (do they still apply..?)
OAT: pending.

With my current GPA what score on my OATs should I be shooting for? Could I make due with a 300? Or should I be scoring more in the 320 range? If I submit applications end of November/beginning of Dec is that gonna hurt me? Is having a masters degree gonna help a lot, or is it a “meh doesn’t really help but it doesn’t hurt” kind of a situation? What else should I be doing to have a better chance of getting in?

Please let me know what you think/what I should do!
With your stats, getting anything around 320 and higher should help you get in. Your stats are pretty good, don’t stress it.

With your stats, getting anything around 320 and higher should help you get in. Your stats are pretty good, don’t stress it.

Thank you! That def helped me freak out less haha. Hopefully I can hit around that score