• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW

What are my chances?

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
You could add these schools:
Georgetown
Jefferson
Medical College Wisconsin
New York Medical College
St. Louis
Virginia Commonwealth
Also apply to any DO schools that accept Canadian applicants which include:
AZCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
MSUCOM
NSU-KPCOM
UNECOM
TouroCOM-NY

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

squids82

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2018
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I was thinking the same originally, however these schools all have MCAT accepted/matriculated averages around 505-513, so I didn't see it as being an issue since my GPA is much above their posted averages according to MSAR, and I think I can write up my application well with some unique experiences. I should also add my preferred schools are the Michigan ones, and these have especially low MCATs from previous years as they are more holistic in approach. Let me know what u think. Thanks for the input!
I would agree with adding those DO schools as you are international. So, while the medians may look lower to you, those are also almost entirely comprised of US citizens/permanent residents

Reactions: 1 users

Happymappy123

Jun 28, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
I would agree with adding those DO schools as you are international. So, while the medians may look lower to you, those are also almost entirely comprised of US citizens/permanent residents

I also have been told that for many of these schools, (Michigan primarily), Canadian residents are not treated as international, but rather are put into the same pile as out of state. On MSAR, the accepted MCAT averages differed very little for in state and oos for these ones.

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
I also have been told that for many of these schools, (Michigan primarily), Canadian residents are not treated as international, but rather are put into the same pile as out of state. On MSAR, the accepted MCAT averages differed very little for in state and oos for these ones.
Some of those non residents accepted attended undergraduate school in Michigan or are URM.

penguinsfan71

Jan 7, 2020
  1. Medical Student

Even if you are considered out of state, acceptance rates for out of state applicants are almost always lower than in state applicants. As an international student with a lower MCAT score, you're fighting an uphill battle and should apply broadly in order to maximize your chances of being accepted.

Shotapp

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2015
GA
  1. Pre-Medical
I guess my only question is; would this mcat exclude me from further acceptance if the rest of my application (GPA, EC, secondary's) are done well?
You don't get it. You're an international applicant. You're expected to have very good stats to have a chance at an MD açceptance in the US. Like Candbgirl said, your high gpa doesn't make up for a meh MCAT. You need the whole package since your an international applicant...

Happymappy123

Jun 28, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Where are you getting this info from? Canadians are internationals.
From many reputable academic counselling sites. BeMo, for example, stated " Canadian citizens are treated by many schools as out-of-state applicants - these types of medical schools are often called “Canadian friendly” .
Shemmasian Academic counselling has also stated "(Note: For the purposes of this list, "Canadian friendly" schools are the institutions that have formally declared to the AAMC that they consider Canadian applicants in the same pile as out-of-state US applicants, rather than as international applicants."

penguinsfan71

Jan 7, 2020
  1. Medical Student
I appreciate the input, and assure you I get it. I know its preferable to have high stats, even if Canadians are treated as "out of state" and not international. I will add some DO schools in, but my main point in asking was to see my chances, as I know friends who have been accepted as Canadians in my situation with 508-510 MCATs to some of these Michigan schools. I guess I justified in my head that a mediocre MCAT wouldnt be a deal breaker if all else was good, and if the school genuinely saw your interest since I've seen it done before. I was just looking for extra pointers.

Your MCAT score isn't a "deal breaker", but the admissions game is a numbers game. Having stats above a school's median doesn't guarantee an interview, plenty of qualified applicants will only get 1 or 2 interviews out of 20+ applications. You could have great stats, but applying to only 6 schools means you could easily end up with no interviews.

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
  1. Medical Student
I appreciate the input, and assure you I get it. I know its preferable to have high stats, even if Canadians are treated as "out of state" and not international. I will add some DO schools in, but my main point in asking was to see my chances, as I know friends who have been accepted as Canadians in my situation with 508-510 MCATs to some of these Michigan schools. I guess I justified in my head that a mediocre MCAT wouldnt be a deal breaker if all else was good, and if the school genuinely saw your interest since I've seen it done before. I was just looking for extra pointers.

But you have to keep in mind your score breakdown - you have a sub 125 in CARS, which would be a deal breaker at schools that have minimum subscore requirements. With a sub 125, all bets are off in terms of gauging chances as an OOS / international applicant.

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
  1. Medical Student
I'm not sure I understand this statement - could you clarify please? If it gives any extra info ive only applied to schools where there hasn't been an issue of sub125 cut offs.

Then you’ve done all you can do. Apply broadly, ensure your written materials are flawless, and that you prepare diligently for any interviews.

• Love

Happymappy123

Jun 28, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Just in case anyone is reading this thread later as a future applicant-- and has a mediocre MCAT or GPA -- I ended up being accepted to MD schools :) Don't let anyone get you down, believe in yourself, and you will reach your goals!!!

• Love
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.