What Are My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AgntFdra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know my GPAs are both really low, but I'm looking to apply this cycle for the DO schools (not even bothering with MD), and was wondering what my chances are? While ideally I'd like KCUCOM, UNECOM, DMUCOM, or the sort but I'd honestly just be happy with any DO school.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.47 (Upward trend - 2.83, 3.71, 3.55 - came down mainly cause I took orgo this year)
sGPA: 3.20
MCAT: 508
Clinical: 165 hours
Volunteer: 250 hours
Shadowing: 40 hours (~20 with DO and have LOR from them)

ECs:
Head Captain for a Safe Rides Program
Volunteer at Free Health Clinic for people without insurance/extremely low income
Work with refugee family in my hometown (~150 hours in this over the course of two years)
Member of martial arts club at school

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
UNECOM
NYITCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
It is also worth applying to your state MD school UConn.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
UNECOM
NYITCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
It is also worth applying to your state MD school UConn.
Thank you so much for this! I’m definitely using this, but also just out of curiosity, why no PCOM or Touro?

@Goro how's this list? Do you think I've got a chance at these?

UNECOM
NYITCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM (I'm unsure about this one... personal reasons I don't think I'd like being in Alabama)
PCOM-Pa
Touro-NY

@Goro how's this list? Do you think I've got a chance at these?

UNECOM
NYITCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM (I'm unsure about this one... personal reasons I don't think I'd like being in Alabama)
PCOM-Pa
Touro-NY
Delete VCOM-LA, add Touro-NY, WVSOM and KYCOM

Hi! I just received my MCAT score with the short version of the exam. I scored a 507 with a breakdown of 124/124/129/130. I reside in the state of Florida and I am a Hispanic man of 22 years. My overall GPA is 3.74 and sGPA is 3.82. I really want to attend an MD school. According to many other posts, 507 for a hispanic male is a decent score to have for MD schools. I am worried about the odd distribution of my score though. I see that many schools have 10th percentile scores for C/P of 125 and 126. I have seen more schools with 124 10th percentile. I wonder how much gambling would I be playing if I apply with this distribution. I understand that retaking is something that would be suggested but I am afraid I could not achieve the 129 or 130 again. CARS has been a great issue for me from day one but 124 in C/P took me by surprise specially because I have never scored so low in practice tests.

Other stats:

Shadowing hours: Approximately 106 hours in multiple specialties

Research: About a year and a half without publications and LOR from advisor (290 hours)

Clinical paid hours: 2100 hours an ED medical scribe (With 2 LORs from MDs I worked with)

Clinical volunteering: 121 hours at a hospital

Other activities: 1400 hours as an undergraduate TA for the biology department at my university (With 2 LORs from faculty who taught and with whom I worked as a TA)

Scheduled for committee interview and hope to get it.

I appreciate any feedback that you have for me.

Hi! I just received my MCAT score with the short version of the exam. I scored a 507 with a breakdown of 124/124/129/130. I reside in the state of Florida and I am a Hispanic man of 22 years. My overall GPA is 3.74 and sGPA is 3.82. I really want to attend an MD school. According to many other posts, 507 for a hispanic male is a decent score to have for MD schools. I am worried about the odd distribution of my score though. I see that many schools have 10th percentile scores for C/P of 125 and 126. I have seen more schools with 124 10th percentile. I wonder how much gambling would I be playing if I apply with this distribution. I understand that retaking is something that would be suggested but I am afraid I could not achieve the 129 or 130 again. CARS has been a great issue for me from day one but 124 in C/P took me by surprise specially because I have never scored so low in practice tests.

Other stats:

Shadowing hours: Approximately 106 hours in multiple specialties

Research: About a year and a half without publications and LOR from advisor (290 hours)

Clinical paid hours: 2100 hours an ED medical scribe (With 2 LORs from MDs I worked with)

Clinical volunteering: 121 hours at a hospital

Other activities: 1400 hours as an undergraduate TA for the biology department at my university (With 2 LORs from faculty who taught and with whom I worked as a TA)

Scheduled for committee interview and hope to get it.

I appreciate any feedback that you have for me.
Are you fluent is Spanish ? Which Hispanic community are you from ?

Are you fluent is Spanish ? Which Hispanic community are you from ?
Spanish is my native language. I was born in south Florida to two immigrants but was raised in Guatemala from the age of 2-16. I graduated high school in Guatemala and then came back to the US to pursue my higher education.

Spanish is my native language. I was born in south Florida to two immigrants but was raised in Guatemala from the age of 2-16. I graduated high school in Guatemala and then came back to the US to pursue my higher education.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
USF Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Georgetown
George Washington
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
USF Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Georgetown
George Washington
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Thank you very much, at this point would you suggest possibly retaking the mcat? Also I forgot to mention that I am considered socioeconomically disadvantaged. Many of these schools have 10th percentile MCAT above 507, do you think my story gives me a good shot at these? @Goro I would appreciate your input as well.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, at this point would you suggest possibly retaking the mcat? Also I forgot to mention that I am considered socioeconomically disadvantaged. Many of these schools have 10th percentile MCAT above 507, do you think my story gives me a good shot at these? @Goro I would appreciate your input as well.
You do not need to retake the MCAT. Hispanic applicants who are fluent in Spanish are desired at many schools, especially in areas with large Hispanic populations.

You do not need to retake the MCAT. Hispanic applicants who are fluent in Spanish are desired at many schools, especially in areas with large Hispanic populations.
Thank you very much, I understand that I do not need to retake but if I can improve my score should I? I would expect to get my second score before September which means I only have 4 weeks to improve, is this feasible in your experience? Or should I not risk what I already got? Thank you for taking the time with me.

Thank you very much, I understand that I do not need to retake but if I can improve my score should I? I would expect to get my second score before September which means I only have 4 weeks to improve, is this feasible in your experience? Or should I not risk what I already got? Thank you for taking the time with me.

Were your practice scores significantly higher? If not, I would not retake right now but later in 2021 if your cycle is unsuccessful.

It is not worth the risk since it is possible you could score lower.

Were your practice scores significantly higher? If not, I would not retake right now but later in 2021 if your cycle is unsuccessful.
My scores were difficult to calculate as the exam was shortened. I did 48 questions out of every section and used online converters. I scored 507 FL1 (full length), 510 ( FL2 which I had taken once before without reviewing last year in July), FL3 was 503 after conversion simulating the short version, FL4 was 504 after conversion simulating the short version.

It is not worth the risk since it is possible you could score lower.
I understand, I’m just in a dilemma because I am already in my gap year, I would hate to have to take 2 gap years.

My scores were difficult to calculate as the exam was shortened. I did 48 questions out of every section and used online converters. I scored 507 FL1 (full length), 510 ( FL2 which I had taken once before without reviewing last year in July), FL3 was 503 after conversion simulating the short version, FL4 was 504 after conversion simulating the short version.

Don’t retake it now, you scored within range if your practice tests. You have a high likelihood of scoring the same, or worse.

Don’t retake it now, you scored within range if your practice tests. You have a high likelihood of scoring the same, or worse.
When do you think would be safe to retake? Only if I don’t matriculate somewhere?

When do you think would be safe to retake? Only if I don’t matriculate somewhere?

Biggest mistake my students make is retaking the mcat too soon after a disappointing score. It’s almost like one needs a period of mourning to digest the disappointment, adequately determine what needs to be improved, and create a feasible plan to do it. I advise my students not to retake the mcat within three months of the prior attempt unless there was an anomaly on test day.

If I were in your shoes, I would plan on applying with your current score. If by January, your cycle is not progressing, I would make plans to retake the exam in March or April. The outcomes of this scenario would either be: A. You get an admission after you start studying or receive a new score B. You reapply with an improved mcat score and application or C. Your score is consistent and you revise your school list or game plan

Reactions: 1 users
Biggest mistake my students make is retaking the mcat too soon after a disappointing score. It’s almost like one needs a period of mourning to digest the disappointment, adequately determine what needs to be improved, and create a feasible plan to do it. I advise my students not to retake the mcat within three months of the prior attempt unless there was an anomaly on test day.

If I were in your shoes, I would plan on applying with your current score. If by January, your cycle is not progressing, I would make plans to retake the exam in March or April. The outcomes of this scenario would either be: A. You get an admission after you start studying or receive a new score B. You reapply with an improved mcat score and application or C. Your score is consistent and you revise your school list or game plan
Thank you for the advise, you do not know how much I appreciate it.