What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnMarie123

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a long time lurker and I finally built up the courage to post in here. I am considering applying to D.O school for the Fall 2022 semester. I have taken a practice MCAT with a 501 score, I'm planning on taking my actual MCAT in June 2021 (I am aiming for a 515 and have a study schedule panned out to get me to that point-approximately 29 weeks to my test studying 12-18 hours a week. (2-3 hours 6 days a week, weaker courses like organic chemistry are 3 hours, stronger courses like physics only 2 hours a day).

AACOMAS sGPA is a 3.2
Culmuative GPA is a 3.3
Postbac sGPA is a 3.8 (took Biochem, retook Orgo I and II, retook gen bio I/II)
In graduate school currently, first semester GPA expected a 3.87 (per GPA calculator)
-Over 1500 hours working as a medical scribe in an E.R, 500 hours working as a nurse's aide in an inpatient behavioral health unit
-1200 hours of volunteering between volunteer EMT on student run ambulance, Adopt a Grandparent, and mentoring at risk middle schoolers
- Published research in Microbiology, TA for anatomy and physiology
-Captain of student run college rugby team, 2x all American rugby player, played all 4 years, Residence Hall Director in Graduate school
-Worked 30-50 hours a week as a full time student (financially independent and had to send money home to my family, specifically my younger sister for clothes, food, etc.)
URM, first generation student, African American/Native American (Cherokee) and Irish, was homeless in high school, father was a single parent (disabled veteran with a drug problem who went to jail my junior year of high school), grew up in medically underserved area
LOR from Former science professor, MD, former rugby advisor

I am more interested in D.O than MD because based on the conversations I have had with various docs, D.O training seems to be more patient centered (I could be wrong this is just my interpretation), the training seems to be more patient centered while adding a rigorous science background. Also, the extra training in OMT is really appealing! M.D is not off the table for me, but again I would prefer D.O. I would prefer to remain in the Northeast (I'm from N.Y), but I can manage regardless of where I go. I am not considering considering Caribbean universities, after researching a few and almost getting scammed by one I am turned off to them. I'm willing to invest more time trying to better my stats, if you all think it would increase my chances of acceptance.

I would like to work in a rural, medically underserved area, as this is similar to where I grew up. Psychiatry would also be a field I would be interested in entering, my time working in inpatient behavioral health plays a large role in that decision. I understand my stats are not great and that beggars can't be choosers, so any advice is helpful!

Schools I'm considering currently are

D.O
University of New England (top choice)
A.T Still University in Missouri- Kirksville
PCOM-Georgia
PCOM-Philadelphia
Kansas City University- College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine at Erie
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine Colorado
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine - NY

M.D
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
SUNY Buffalo
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive DO interviews if your MCAT score is at least 498. Post your actual score when available next year and I will suggest schools that you can apply to based on your score.

Reactions: 1 users
How much have you studied for the MCAT so far? And is that 501 from an AAMC FL? I would strongly caution against taking the remaining FLs until you're getting closer to your testing date and you're comfortable with how much you've studied. The AAMC FLs are super useful in helping you gauge where you stand and they lose their value if you're running through them a second/third+ time. ECs look good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How much have you studied for the MCAT so far? And is that 501 from an AAMC FL? I would strongly caution against taking the remaining FLs until you're getting closer to your testing date and you're comfortable with how much you've studied. The AAMC FLs are super useful in helping you gauge where you stand and they lose their value if you're running through them a second/third+ time. ECs look good.
Thank you for your feedback! I have the Kaplan book set which is what I've primarily been studying from. It's been recommended that I expand my study material, so I will look into the AAMC FLs. I'll update the post again when I take the MCAT, but thank you again I appreciate the input. See you in 7 months!

Reactions: 1 user
You could receive DO interviews if your MCAT score is at least 498. Post your actual score when available next year and I will suggest schools that you can apply to based on your score.
Thank you for your feedback! I will update this post once I take my MCAT and receive my score.

Hello everyone,
I am a long time lurker and I finally built up the courage to post in here. I am considering applying to D.O school for the Fall 2022 semester. I have taken a practice MCAT with a 501 score, I'm planning on taking my actual MCAT in June 2021 (I am aiming for a 515 and have a study schedule panned out to get me to that point-approximately 29 weeks to my test studying 12-18 hours a week. (2-3 hours 6 days a week, weaker courses like organic chemistry are 3 hours, stronger courses like physics only 2 hours a day).

AACOMAS sGPA is a 3.2
Culmuative GPA is a 3.3
Postbac sGPA is a 3.8 (took Biochem, retook Orgo I and II, retook gen bio I/II)
In graduate school currently, first semester GPA expected a 3.87 (per GPA calculator)
-Over 1500 hours working as a medical scribe in an E.R, 500 hours working as a nurse's aide in an inpatient behavioral health unit
-1200 hours of volunteering between volunteer EMT on student run ambulance, Adopt a Grandparent, and mentoring at risk middle schoolers
- Published research in Microbiology, TA for anatomy and physiology
-Captain of student run college rugby team, 2x all American rugby player, played all 4 years, Residence Hall Director in Graduate school
-Worked 30-50 hours a week as a full time student (financially independent and had to send money home to my family, specifically my younger sister for clothes, food, etc.)
URM, first generation student, African American/Native American (Cherokee) and Irish, was homeless in high school, father was a single parent (disabled veteran with a drug problem who went to jail my junior year of high school), grew up in medically underserved area
LOR from Former science professor, MD, former rugby advisor

I am more interested in D.O than MD because based on the conversations I have had with various docs, D.O training seems to be more patient centered (I could be wrong this is just my interpretation), the training seems to be more patient centered while adding a rigorous science background. Also, the extra training in OMT is really appealing! M.D is not off the table for me, but again I would prefer D.O. I would prefer to remain in the Northeast (I'm from N.Y), but I can manage regardless of where I go. I am not considering considering Caribbean universities, after researching a few and almost getting scammed by one I am turned off to them. I'm willing to invest more time trying to better my stats, if you all think it would increase my chances of acceptance.

I would like to work in a rural, medically underserved area, as this is similar to where I grew up. Psychiatry would also be a field I would be interested in entering, my time working in inpatient behavioral health plays a large role in that decision. I understand my stats are not great and that beggars can't be choosers, so any advice is helpful!

Schools I'm considering currently are

D.O
University of New England (top choice)
A.T Still University in Missouri- Kirksville
PCOM-Georgia
PCOM-Philadelphia
Kansas City University- College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine at Erie
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine Colorado
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine - NY

M.D
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
SUNY Buffalo
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac University School of Medicine
Come back when you have a new MCAT score and then we can advise.