What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evo272

Reaction score
Date of submission: July 26
Overall GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.80
DAT 19AA, 19TS with all subsections 19 except: QR 20 and PAT 16
State of Residence: Florida
Major: Biology
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Nontraditional : No

Shadowing Experience: 250 from two different offices (general dentists)
Volunteering Experience: 21 hours of hands on service Nature Preserve volunteer, 48 hours of church lead singing (unpaid)
Employment: dental front desk over 2 years
Research? No
Other extracurriculars: Active member of predental society, pianist- manual dexterity
No event attended at dental schools
Relevant Honors or Awards: Honors College, Deans List for most semesters, scholarships
Strong personal statement
LOR: 2 science professor, 1 non science, 1 dentist. Strong letters.
No red flags.
Not mentioned above: disadvantaged as I am an immigrant. I have only been a resident for two years. I have also been working full time while studying full time - would this be considered when looking at my lower volunteer hours?

School list:
Nova, UF, Rutgers, Boston University, Maryland, Marquette,Med.College of South Carolina,UConn,University of Pittsburg, VCU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Major: Bio
Traditional, first time applicant

Shadowing Experience: 250 from two different offices
Volunteering Experience: 21 hours

Relevant Honors or Awards: Honors College, Deans List for most semesters

School list:
Nova, UF, Rutgers, Boston University, Maryland, Marquette,Med.College of South Carolina,UConn,University of Pittsburg, VCU, Meharry
you skipped some sections on the template...

Welcome to the forums!

It would help getting more details, but with what has been provided (please complete the template, and provide more details):

1) Volunteering < 150 hours puts you at risk of getting screened out. You are entering a profession where you are intimately working on or with other people, especially marginalized communities that are afraid of you. Most applicants will have at least 100-150 hours done before applying. What you do matters as much as showing proof you are comfortable being uncomfortable, especially with populations with limited resources.

2) PAT 16 doesn't help you when most applicants in the pool will have better PAT's of 18+ (likely 20+).

3) Did you fulfill the LOR requirements? What is your activity that demonstrates mastery of fine manual dexterity?

On your school list: Meharry is an HBCU so unless you fulfill a mission fit there growing up in a highly underresourced community, especially as a Black or historically underrepresented minority in Florida. Check if public schools you have applied to will take more than 3 Florida students consistently over the last 3-5 years (looking at you: MUSC, Maryland, UConn, VCU, Rutgers). You are missing LECOM, which I think has the most available seats.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the forums!

It would help getting more details, but with what has been provided (please complete the template, and provide more details):

1) Volunteering < 150 hours puts you at risk of getting screened out. You are entering a profession where you are intimately working on or with other people, especially marginalized communities that are afraid of you. Most applicants will have at least 100-150 hours done before applying. What you do matters as much as showing proof you are comfortable being uncomfortable, especially with populations with limited resources.

2) PAT 16 doesn't help you when most applicants in the pool will have better PAT's of 18+ (likely 20+).

3) Did you fulfill the LOR requirements? What is your activity that demonstrates mastery of fine manual dexterity?

On your school list: Meharry is an HBCU so unless you fulfill a mission fit there growing up in a highly underresourced community, especially as a Black or historically underrepresented minority in Florida. Check if public schools you have applied to will take more than 3 Florida students consistently over the last 3-5 years (looking at you: MUSC, Maryland, UConn, VCU, Rutgers). You are missing LECOM, which I think has the most available seats.
Thank you for your response! I updated it using the template.

Thanks! When you say you have been a "resident" for 2 years, do you mean you have a green card? Asylum status? Documented status? Yes, it is taken into consideration, but many "immigrant" applications still have the 100-150 hours of community service.

Thanks! When you say you have been a "resident" for 2 years, do you mean you have a green card? Asylum status? Documented status? Yes, it is taken into consideration, but many "immigrant" applications still have the 100-150 hours of community service.
Thank you for your response! I have been a green card holder for two years.

Major: Biology
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Nontraditional : No

Shadowing Experience: 250 from two different offices (general dentists)
Volunteering Experience: 21 hours of hands on service Nature Preserve volunteer, 48 hours of church lead singing (unpaid)
Research? No
Other extracurriculars: Active member of predental society, pianist- manual dexterity
No event attended at dental schools
Relevant Honors or Awards: Honors College, Deans List for most semesters, scholarships
LOR: 2 science professor, 1 non science, 1 dentist. Strong letters.
No red flags.
Not mentioned above: disadvantaged as I am an immigrant. I have only been a resident for two years. I have also been working full time while studying full time - would this be considered when looking at my lower volunteer hours?

School list:
Nova, UF, Rutgers, Boston University, Maryland, Marquette,Med.College of South Carolina,UConn,University of Pittsburg, VCU
no, sorry

I am currently getting new volunteering/community service hours. If I add those hours to my application would they be taken it into consideration for this cycle? Or would those hours only be relevant in the next cycle if I was to reapply?
Thank you in advance for your response!

I am currently getting new volunteering/community service hours. If I add those hours to my application would they be taken it into consideration for this cycle? Or would those hours only be relevant in the next cycle if I was to reapply?
Thank you in advance for your response!
1) If you have already submitted your application, you aren't able to add hours. You can add those hours next cycle.

2) If you have submitted your application, when you receive an invitation to interview, you may have an opportunity to let the admissions team know of your new activities, but it won't really make a dent unless you accrued an additional 100 hours in that activity.

3) If you have not submitted your application, you can add those hours, but you're very late for this cycle.

Future or anticipated hours do not make an impact in the process. Otherwise, everyone would be promising more hours to try to get ahead.