what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fooman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to several DO schools this year and I'll be taking the 2001 August MCAT.

I understand that applications have already started so I'm already behind.

My GPA is low (3.22) and my practice MCAT exams range from 23-25. Some schools I've researched have a MCAT acceptance score in the mid 20s so I'm guessing they accept people who have higher scores (of course) and also people who have lower scores.

btw, I'll be taking a upper-level science course this fall semester to boost my GPA.

I have good relevant work experience -- worked as a research assistant in a physical reabilitative program for 3 years and got one paper published, and I'm currently working as a clinical assistant in the ER at Children's Hospital of Alabama (almost a year now).

Hopefully, I'll get a good MCAT score.

Sorry to rant. Just wondering what my chances are or if anyone else with a similar situation as mine applied and got in or on the waiting list.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply and you'll find out! Good luck! :)

i know people in your situation that have been accepted into MD schools, not many but a few. you sound like a pretty strong applicant. if you can get a 27 or so on the actual mcat, you should be fine. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Fooman,
Are you at UAB? If so, have you talked to the pre-med advisor at UAB? She can rattle off a list of UAB grads who were admitted to DO schools and their stats. Who were you working with at Children's?

phd2b

Hey,
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I am also applying this year with about the same GPA. (Won't know exactly what it is until AACOMAS sends me my profile). I am working at UAB in a basic science/clinical lab. Where'd you do undergrad?

I guess there are others here from AL?

I graduated from UAB last year and worked...which gave me a lot of time to think about what I wanted to do.

Btw, I worked in the ER so I didn't work with anyone in particular. But my shift was usually the night shift on the weekends so I worked more closely with people like Nan, Janna, Amber...do you know any of them? As for doctors, I've worked with practically all of them since their schedule rotates more.

I wasn't truly pre-med during undergrad as I wasn't sure if it was what I wanted to do. Luckily, I was a biology major which meant that most of my classes satisfy prerequsites.

I did speak with Linda Luck, the pre-health advisor...just briefly though. I haven't told her that I was interested in DO schools yet.

Fooman,
My wife worked in the PICU "the PI" for 2 years at Children's. I know (indirectly) all of those folks you mentioned. I'd advise talking to Linda Luck. She is quite open-minded about DO schools. She'll also give you the low-down on MD admissions to UAB (she and Dr. Hand are tight). According to Dr. Hand, if you have less than a 28 on the MCAT, you need to retake it to gain admission to UAB...your mileage may vary.

Email me directly for other info or to trade names of acquaintenances...
phd2b

Fooman,

This may sound soooo repettive, but here goes... ultimately, it is the impact of your whole application. Initially though, it is the balance of GPA, MCAT and factors that impact your use of time... for example... if you had to work (or chose to) to support yourself and family while going to school, that is a reasonable explanation for not doing as well as someone else who had less comittments. Where these facts need to be highlighted is in your letters of recommendation and your personal statement (if space allows). That way you CAN address any perceived deficiencies before they are asked.

The deciding factor will ultimately be the overall impact of your application... as you move forward with secondaries and whatnot, seek good counsel and step wisely.

Best of luck

everyone is wrong. you chances are exactly 21.4 percent. To increase it to your highest potential..35 percent...whiten you teeth. (dripping with sarcasm)

Actually, according to 1999-2000 admissions statistics; the odds of you getting into a do school are 2.7 to 1.