What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canadian Premed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm currently a Canadian Citizen but live on a border city to the states, so I commute daily back and forth to an American School.

I'm a sophomore studying Biology (B.S.) and Chemistry (B.A.) – double major. Since my first semester I took many sciences and electives together and so far it has been no problem. That said, I'm thinking of graduating in three years so I should be done August 2008, and I plan to attend Medical School in the fall of 2008, Hopefully... I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August 2007, so that means I'm going to be applying late, even though I'm doing my primaries this June. The problem or at least I think is going to be a problem is my age and my volunteering experience on the application. I'm 19 and by the rate I want to go at, I'd like to go into Medical school when I'm 20, will that be a problem since they want more mature individuals. I think I'm mature but we all know, even though they don't admit it, just like getting a new job, the interviewers are bias and stereotype.

About my volunteering, so far I have 0 hours of volunteering in the hospital but I do tutor Chemistry for free for about 2 hours a week. Also, I help kids' homework and organize their activities with a bunch of other students in my school on weekly basis. I do however plan on starting in the hospital by the end of March so I'll 3 months experience by June when I hand in my Primaries...

GPA: 3.96
Credits: Almost 90 credits done.
Load: 7 classes this semester, always been fulltime, sophomore year I've went over the limit with a permission from the school.
Clubs: A few university clubs, I'm sure I can't include the other clubs I go to on the weekends :laugh:...
MCAT: not yet... shouldn't be a problem...
Research: 6 hours a week. Started this January...
Letters: I have good relations with all my professors and many have offered to write me letters, so I'm sure that's not a part to worry about...

What are my chances? Should I wait on my primaries until I have more hours in clinical volunteering (so finish primaries in September)?

I've spoken to a doctor on the committee of a medical school and he said as long as there is a semester's worth of volunteering at a hospital or shadowing a doctor, that's all they will look at...

My big disadvantage is that I'm Canadian and no matter what state I'll apply to I'll be looked as an out of state applicant, if not worse. Also, if it helps I'm hoping for a school in California or Florida...

I really don’t want to come back for a fourth year, I just don’t see a point of that, I mean I could finish a B.S. in Chemistry but I really don’t want to do that.

Members don't see this ad.

screw it, what the hell do i know anyways

EDIT: not trying to be rude, i just don't really know why i commented

keep the GPA up where it is, do well on the MCAT, start getting clinical hours and you will have a very good chance. Also, i highly doubt you will be able to get in by the time your 20; you're 19 and a sophomore, most schools basically "require" an undergrad degree to be accepted except for highly qualified individuals, and sorry to say, you don't fit into that category.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but at the end of my junior year, I should have a B.S. in Biology and a B.A. in Chemistry done...

Members don't see this ad :)
My big disadvantage is that I'm Canadian and no matter what state I'll apply to I'll be looked as an out of state applicant, if not worse. Also, if it helps I'm hoping for a school in California or Florida...

That shouldn't be a problem if you apply to a lot of schools. Even some state schools now are taking about 50% OOSers (Uof Michigan -- unfortunately for me -- is one).

Also, it's cool that you're gun-ho for med school, and I bet you are probably really mature, but I'd live college up for a bit too...I'm pissed off at myself for taking a tough major like chemical engineering instead of something I could have somewhat of a social life. That's just me though.

Hello everybody,

I'm currently a Canadian Citizen but live on a border city to the states, so I commute daily back and forth to an American School.

I'm a sophomore studying Biology (B.S.) and Chemistry (B.A.) – double major. Since my first semester I took many sciences and electives together and so far it has been no problem. That said, I'm thinking of graduating in three years so I should be done August 2008, and I plan to attend Medical School in the fall of 2008, Hopefully... I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August 2007, so that means I'm going to be applying late, even though I'm doing my primaries this June. The problem or at least I think is going to be a problem is my age and my volunteering experience on the application. I'm 19 and by the rate I want to go at, I'd like to go into Medical school when I'm 20, will that be a problem since they want more mature individuals. I think I'm mature but we all know, even though they don't admit it, just like getting a new job, the interviewers are bias and stereotype.

About my volunteering, so far I have 0 hours of volunteering in the hospital but I do tutor Chemistry for free for about 2 hours a week. Also, I help kids' homework and organize their activities with a bunch of other students in my school on weekly basis. I do however plan on starting in the hospital by the end of March so I'll 3 months experience by June when I hand in my Primaries...

GPA: 3.96
Credits: Almost 90 credits done.
Load: 7 classes this semester, always been fulltime, sophomore year I've went over the limit with a permission from the school.
Clubs: A few university clubs, I'm sure I can't include the other clubs I go to on the weekends :laugh:...
MCAT: not yet... shouldn't be a problem...
Research: 6 hours a week. Started this January...
Letters: I have good relations with all my professors and many have offered to write me letters, so I'm sure that's not a part to worry about...

What are my chances? Should I wait on my primaries until I have more hours in clinical volunteering (so finish primaries in September)?

I've spoken to a doctor on the committee of a medical school and he said as long as there is a semester's worth of volunteering at a hospital or shadowing a doctor, that's all they will look at...

I really don’t want to come back for a fourth year, I just don’t see a point of that, I mean I could finish a B.S. in Chemistry but I really don’t want to do that.

First, careful with the MCAT, shouldn't be a problem comment.

Second, clinical experience is about learning about medicine and making an informed career choice. You'll need to be able to answer the "Why medicine?" question. Without any experience, that will be hard. Since you'll be younger than most, adcomms might look with an even more critical eye at your motivations and maturity level. And remember, you're not just doing this for them, you're doing it for you.

Third, if you really want to apply, then apply. If it doesn't work, take some time off to mature and get more experience.

I have yet to go through the app process myself so I'm no expert, but I think you're a bit low in the EC/clinical experience department. That coupled with applying late, the fact that you can't predict your MCAT score, and possible age bias, may be very detrimental to your application. I'm sure you have a decent shot at getting in *somewhere* but the med school app process is something you want to get right from the start. It is simply to much of an investment (financially, timewise, & emotionally) to play around with your chances like this.

Your GPA is splendid, so you could be a really great applicant if you take a year to get substantial clinical experience, get something significant out of your research, ditto for your ECs (leadership position?), and rock the MCAT. Plus, since you will have gotten a lot of coursework out of the way by your 4th year, you can use your time and energy towards a special project on something that interests you but is not necessarily super-academic; that would prob make your app stand out also.

On a totally not-related-to-med-school note, TAKE YOUR TIME! You will never get these years back and they are well worth enjoying. I had the chance to finish college in 3yrs and graduate at 19, but honestly, the 4 years went faster than I ever imagined they would. In a way you don't realize how good you have it in college until you leave. Enjoy the chance to take courses in any field that piques your interests, have drunken philosophical discussions at 5am, take impromptu road trips, sleep in when you feel like it...There are so many things you can do now, without the burden of med school, residency, work, loans, family, etc...Don't jump into the rat race unless you're sure that you're ready to stay on that treadmill for a good long while.

But if med school in 2008 is really what you want, then by all means go ahead, and good luck!

All right dude..there are several things here that I should help you with.

Hoping for a school in California or Florida? Haha, forget about it right now. Florida has perhaps one school that takes Canadians, and Cali even though there are more schools that accept Canadians only few ever get in. Stanford is probably your best bet for a Cali school. And there is a reason its STANFORD.

If you are graduating in 3 years. Make sure you have 20 credits that are required. I donno how you gonna do that plus research and MCATs. So good luck with that. My suggestion just finish all 4 years and take it easy. It's will be hard to get a degree in 3 years and still maintain your high GPA. You will just burn out.

My suggestion to you use this: Do a 4 year degree. Do research your 2nd and 3rd year summer --almost mandatory if you want to apply to TOP schools. Take your MCATs in your 2nd year summer which is recommended (or April of 3rd year). Apply early to the States. Aim for 34+ if you plan on getting into top schools eg. harvard, hopkins. Make sure you also apply broadly.

Also as per extracuriculars. Yes shadowing doctors is important. but try to stay away from the typical cookie cutter premed extracuriculars. I had your typical premed extras: volunterring in hospitals, working in overseas relief missions, research. but I also had couple unique stuff. But you know what, I would trade them all for a higher mcat score lol. my stats were 3.72/34. oh ya I am a Canadian btw

you can get a B.A. in Chemistry?

Oh, to some, chemistry is an art...

For the OP, yeah, Cali and Florida are probably the worst when it comes to accepting out of state students (I wished you had thrown in Texas for the heck of it). As far as graduating a year early, my question is why? Spread it out and senior year could be the best time of your life. And as far as deciding on schools, wait for your MCAT score. That's pretty cocky to declare it "won't be a problem." It's a pretty daunting test. When you have your MCAT and GPA in hand. Also are you a freshman or a sophomore? What school are you coming from (and don't say difficult one because everyone believes their school is disproprtiionately dificult)? Recall too, that many things can change over time.

i scratched my head, too.:rolleyes:

He's canadian. He probably gets the degree through a universal degree granting association.

Yes, I know he attends an American school. That doesn't excuse his canadianess.

Members don't see this ad :)

There's no BS option at my school, so everyone graduates with a BA unless you're an engineer. I'll be the proud owner of a BA in Biochem in a few months (barring any major catastrophes :eek:)!

At some other schools, I think you can choose between a BA or BS in certain sciences with the BS requiring more stuff.

There's no BS option at my school, so everyone graduates with a BA unless you're an engineer. I'll be the proud owner of a BA in Biochem in a few months (barring any major catastrophes :eek:)!

At some other schools, I think you can choose between a BA or BS in certain sciences with the BS requiring more stuff.

I think what's confusing is the O.P. said they were doubleing by getting a B.S. in biology then for some reason a B.A. in chemistry (at my school if you take over 60 credits of sciencs, you'll have a B.S. - there's no option to turn back).

I think what's confusing is the O.P. said they were doubleing by getting a B.S. in biology then for some reason a B.A. in chemistry (at my school if you take over 60 credits of sciencs, you'll have a B.S. - there's no option to turn back).

Oh, so humble.:D

At some schools (like mine), the BS and BA differ in the number of courses taken in the major, allied science electives, and the amount of elective time for general requirements or other free electives.

I was going to do a BS Biology/BS psych, but then changed to BS biology/BA psych because it would be easier to meet the requirements (then I ended up dropping psych altogether, but that's a different story).

B.A. or B.S. depends on the school. Some schools have different requirements, where some schools only give out one or another (like mine). But as far as med school admissions is concerned, it matters about as much as the design of the stamp you use to mail your application.

B.A. or B.S. depends on the school. Some schools have different requirements, where some schools only give out one or another (like mine). But as far as med school admissions is concerned, it matters about as much as the design of the stamp you use to mail your application.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I didn't even think about that. That must be why I didn't get into UW.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I didn't even think about that. That must be why I didn't get into UW.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. This is how I chose my undergrad. They only use rubber stamp made from DAB's tendons and the ink contains at least 90% DAB's blood. I'd would still pay $45,000 a year for such an opportunity if given the chance again.

Not necessarily, some B.S. majors are certified which is highly more respectable than one that isn't. I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe B.A. majors can be certified. For example, at my school, a B.S. in Chem is certified while a B.S. in Bio or a B.A. in Chem aren't... I know some girl that got in Med school with a 3.4GPA, 30MCAT mainly because she had a B.S. in Chemistry... It does matter...

Hm, let's do a mock interview:

1) Why do you want to be a doctor?

2) How much do you know about a typical doctor's day?

3) What are the most important qualities of being a doctor? Do you think you have them?

4) How well do you work with others? Colleagues? Sick people? A person walking down the street?

5) Your academic achievements are quite stellar. What do you do other than going to school, maintaining your fantastic GPAs, doing research, and going to the club activities?

Personally, I'd say you should have some pretty good (i.e. where you draw on your past experience to illustrate a point) responses to these questions before you apply. You are evidently a very smart, motivated and hardworking person. However, while your academic achievements are more than enough to get you into Harvard or UToronto, the other stuff are not likely to even get you a Harvard or UToronto interview. Take your time and work on those other stuff. Best of luck!

I major in Physics and my school has two different degrees for Physics: B.A and B.S. But it's just 6 credits gap between those degrees.

yes, it's a worthless degree . . . primarily designed for pre-meds.

No. I received a B.A. in chemistry because that was the ONLY degree offered by the individual college at the university I attended. The same was true for all of the other basic sciences. It is not a worthless degree.