What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desistar2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a junior (ny state resident). I am applying to medical school (mostly osteopathic) starting this summer. I am a finance major, I have a 3.92 science gpa and 3.7 overall GPA, graduating a semester early (Dec. 2007). My MCAT is kinda low (24L). I majored in finance because I wanted to learn some non-science material and take upper level sciences. And I am thinking about getting my MBA or MHA later down the road. I have held e-board positions in some cultural student clubs, shadow a DO, work at an inner city youth afterschool program, volunteered at a doctor's office in the summers, and thinking about during some more healthcare work abroad. I am thinking about applying to schools like UMDNJ-SOM, NYCOM, PCOM, TCOM and other schools. What are my chances of getting into these schools. Can anyone help me out??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm a junior (ny state resident). I am applying to medical school (mostly osteopathic) starting this summer. I am a finance major, I have a 3.92 science gpa and 3.7 overall GPA, graduating a semester early (Dec. 2007). My MCAT is kinda low (24L). I majored in finance because I wanted to learn some non-science material and take upper level sciences. And I am thinking about getting my MBA or MHA later down the road. I have held e-board positions in some cultural student clubs, shadow a DO, work at an inner city youth afterschool program, volunteered at a doctor's office in the summers, and thinking about during some more healthcare work abroad. I am thinking about applying to schools like UMDNJ-SOM, NYCOM, PCOM, TCOM and other schools. What are my chances of getting into these schools. Can anyone help me out??

Your chances are good! The only thing is your writing score, it's on the low side. Is your Verbal decent? If it is, then I think you should be okay. If not, you definately should retake the MCAT this summer. Good luck!

Actually my verbal is low.(5V, 9PS 10BS) Im not much of a test taker, I am more analytical and solve things thoroughly, that's why my physical and bio section are high.

Members don't see this ad :)
just take the mcat again and apply during summer. you will be competitive for allo and osteo then...

just take the mcat again and apply during summer. you will be competitive for allo and osteo then...

Honestly, I don't want to take that test again, I put so much time into it when I studied the first time. I know I'm just not good at verbal from all the practice tests I took. I do good in my english classes, but Im not good at that test. With those scores, my gpa, and my ec, what are my chances of getting in those schools. Don't DO schools give more leeway on gpa and mcats and look more at the overall applicant.

Honestly, I don't want to take that test again, I put so much time into it when I studied the first time. I know I'm just not good at verbal from all the practice tests I took. I do good in my english classes, but Im not good at that test. With those scores, my gpa, and my ec, what are my chances of getting in those schools. Don't DO schools give more leeway on gpa and mcats and look more at the overall applicant.

DO schools give slightly more leeway. However the average for DO schools is 24 with an even spread amongst the 3 areas. On the surface a 24 is ok, especially given your gpa, but the spread might be a bit of concern. While I highly recommend taking the test over, I can certainly understand not wanting to tackle that beast again. Anyway, best of luck with the 2008 application cycle!

Make some anonymous phonecalls to admissions directors at your schools of interest...

Actually my verbal is low.(5V, 9PS 10BS) Im not much of a test taker, I am more analytical and solve things thoroughly, that's why my physical and bio section are high.

You should be able to get into one D.O. school with these statistics, but it'll not be P.C.O.M., N.Y.C.O.M., or about 18 others. Allopathic admission will be impossible.

Riker-Epsilon out.

Honestly, I don't want to take that test again, I put so much time into it when I studied the first time. I know I'm just not good at verbal from all the practice tests I took.

Take it again. Dont cop out before you start. Settling for the minimum isnt the way to go.

I do good in my english classes, but Im not good at that test.

You do WELL in your english class.

With those scores, my gpa, and my ec, what are my chances of getting in those schools. Don't DO schools give more leeway on gpa and mcats and look more at the overall applicant.

They give more leeway but if you go into an interview witha verbal score of 5, youre going to have to explain it. Saying "I didnt want to take it again" will get you a nice rejection letter.

forget about TCOM...maybe the other schools..as others have said..retake the mcat..even if u get a couple of points higher..it'll make a noticeable difference

You just couldn't help yourself could you?

He/she walked right into that one thoug, I guess. :smuggrin:

It was killing me too....somehow I remained silent. Good/well is very poorly understood in our society for some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your score was more well rounded, I would say that you would be fine. But, that 5 in VR is going to be an issue. Schools really prefer you to not have less than a 7 in any section. Plus, some schools have a cut-off on the writing score. I believe UNECOM is one of them, and there may be others. Don't even bother applying to any allopathic schools. They won't even look at you with that MCAT score, especially with the 5 and the writing score. Sorry, not trying to be mean, just honest. I understand wanting to start med school as soon as possible. The rest of your application is strong and if you apply early, you may be fine. It is really your choice. Apply early to only DO schools and apply to lots of them. I would apply to the new schools, LECOM, and whatever else you want. I am pretty sure UNECOM is out for you too though because of the writing score. Good luck!:) :luck:

It was killing me too....somehow I remained silent. Good/well is very poorly understood in our society for some reason.

I just started reading this post and as soon as I saw that I wanted to comment. Good thing I kept reading, JP is all over that:p

You should retake if possible. The verbal/writing are kinda suspect. Aim for at least an 8 and an N. I think that would probably do you a lot of good (not well ;) ). Also, how are your EC's? Those can be make or break (make for me, so no complaints here!) Best of luck!

I know people who have had 7s on the Verbal section and gotten into allopathic schools. As long as his other sections are strong, he will get into a D.O. school. I know plenty who have gotten into Des Moines with a 5 Verbal score and 9s/10s on the other two sections. Now, if he wants to get into any of the other 20+ schools, that's a different story.

I know people who have had 7s on the Verbal section and gotten into allopathic schools. As long as his other sections are strong, he will get into a D.O. school. I know plenty who have gotten into Des Moines with a 5 Verbal score and 9s/10s on the other two sections. Now, if he wants to get into any of the other 20+ schools, that's a different story.

If you have a 12BS, 13PS, a 7VR and the rest of your application kicks a$$, then yea, I guess you could get into an allopathic school. As for the DO schools, I don't think it is impossible, but there will be a lot less of a choice on where the OP can go.

"Plenty"? I doubt that.

I dont know anyone who has ever gotten in with a 5. In fact, I dont know anyone who has gotten in with less than straight 7s.

DMU...guess we know your affiliation.

"Plenty"? I doubt that.

I dont know anyone who has ever gotten in with a 5. In fact, I dont know anyone who has gotten in with less than straight 7s.

I personally know two non-minority persons who got into the least picky D.O. schools with a 7P/5V/7B and an 18 M.C.A.T. (sub-score unknown), respectively. I also know three people who got a 7 on verbal and matriculated into state-side allopathic schools. My advice: Don't screw up the interview, because even a 31 like mine won't help. :laugh:

I personally know two non-minority persons who got into the least picky D.O. schools with a 7P/5V/7B and an 18 M.C.A.T. (sub-score unknown), respectively. I also know three people who got a 7 on verbal and matriculated into state-side allopathic schools. My advice: Don't screw up the interview, because even a 31 like mine won't help. :laugh:

7/5/7

Wow.

Good luck to those people on boards.

Why are you dodging my questions about PCOM...?

Whatever, now I'm just frustrated. This is me giving up. Are you in the PCOM Class of 2011 facebook group, Riker?

I guess it's sad that I care so much but I feel like it took so much work to get where I am with a PCOM acceptance in-hand. For someone to BS that they have that too really bugs me.

I guess it's sad that I care so much but I feel like it took so much work to get where I am with a PCOM acceptance in-hand. For someone to BS that they have that too really bugs me.

We are all proud of your PCOM acceptance! Don't let someone's BS bother you.:love: :D

The lesser amount of alcohol dehydrogenase in the female body leads it to lose brain-cells faster than men when imbibing. :laugh:

I don't know how accurate this guy's information is, but:

1. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (Lewisburg, WV) Average MCAT: 7.3, 6.8, N, 7.8 total= 21.9
  2. Pikesville College School of Osteopathic Medicine (Kentucky) MCAT: 7.50, 6.90, O, 7.30 total=21.70
I think it's a fair assumption that not everyone gets a 22 on the MCAT. If someone got a 25, which is certainly not impossible to achieve, then someone else got a 19. If twenty people in a class of one-hundred students had a 25, then probably twenty others had a score of 19. Average of 7 verbal in both schools above. If someone got a 9, someone got a 5 as well.

Inferential extrapolations made possible by data from: http://www.kcom.edu/faculty/chamberlain/ranmcat.htm

"I don't like to lose." - Admiral James Tiberius Kirk, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. :cool: :cool: :cool:

it's a mean... there could be a larger proportion of individuals with 20's and 21's pulling that down...

for example, if there are 20 20's and 5 25's the average is going to be 21

There ARE NOT going to be many individuals with <20 on the MCAT going to those schools. I guarantee it.

As a response to JP and DocMom:

I wanted to add a thank-you. That was pretty awesome of you guys to say...

The lesser amount of alcohol dehydrogenase in the female body leads it to lose brain-cells faster than men when imbibing. :laugh:

I don't know how accurate this guy's information is, but:

1. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (Lewisburg, WV) Average MCAT: 7.3, 6.8, N, 7.8 total= 21.9
  2. Pikesville College School of Osteopathic Medicine (Kentucky) MCAT: 7.50, 6.90, O, 7.30 total=21.70
I think it's a fair assumption that not everyone gets a 22 on the MCAT. If someone got a 25, which is certainly not impossible to achieve, then someone else got a 19. If twenty people in a class of one-hundred students had a 25, then probably twenty others had a score of 19. Average of 7 verbal in both schools above. If someone got a 9, someone got a 5 as well.

Inferential extrapolations made possible by data from: http://www.kcom.edu/faculty/chamberlain/ranmcat.htm

"I don't like to lose." - Admiral James Tiberius Kirk, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Well, I take zinc to combat that...:smuggrin:

Actually, I don't drink. Too busy with the kids, animals, school, housework, etc.

Anyway, 18 is really low. I was accepted to PCSOM this year (10VR, 6PS, and 7BS, 23Q) and I was told that their average is a 23. I find it hard to believe that anyone got accepted with such low scores. Maybe it is true, but very hard to believe.

it's a mean... there could be a larger proportion of individuals with 20's and 21's pulling that down...

for example, if there are 20 20's and 5 25's the average is going to be 21

There ARE NOT going to be many individuals with <20 on the MCAT going to those schools. I guarantee it.

I don't know of anyone with less than a 20, maybe even 21 or 22, with an acceptance.

And you are very welcome! :D

I know someone who got an 18M. He applied and only got secondaries from those who send secondaries to everyone (just for the $$$). He got 0 interviews. Well, he called a couple schools and they said they had min. MCATs of 21M. Really sucked for this person because he wasted a ton of money.

On the other hand, I know someone who got into several schools with 9V 9B 6P 24N and one who got in with 10V 8B 5P 23P.

I know someone who got an 18M. He applied and only got secondaries from those who send secondaries to everyone (just for the $$$). He got 0 interviews. Well, he called a couple schools and they said they had min. MCATs of 21M. Really sucked for this person because he wasted a ton of money.

On the other hand, I know someone who got into several schools with 9V 9B 6P 24N and one who got in with 10V 8B 5P 23P.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if it was a top-choice school? I think it's fair to say that if you apply to DO schools broadly with anything above a 20MCAT/3.2 GPA you'll get into one...

I nearly had to travel halfway across the country to go to a quality program that gave me the opportunity to become a DO... That would have not been my first choice, but I would have none-the-less gotten in.

On the other hand, I know someone who got into several schools with 9V 9B 6P 24N and one who got in with 10V 8B 5P 23P.

That is probably true for everyone. That 20/21 is probably about the lowest for most schools. I thought that the 5 might be okay, but I thought it would really limit which school. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

BTW, that is a total scam. They shouldn't do that to people. They should put big flashing signs on their sites that tell people their cut-offs. :thumbdown:

On the other hand, I know someone who got into several schools with 9V 9B 6P 24N and one who got in with 10V 8B 5P 23P.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if it was a top-choice school? I think it's fair to say that if you apply to DO schools broadly with anything above a 20MCAT/3.2 GPA you'll get into one...

I nearly had to travel halfway across the country to go to a quality program that gave me the opportunity to become a DO... That would have not been my first choice, but I would have none-the-less gotten in.

No, I think they were < top 10.

That is probably true for everyone. That 20/21 is probably about the lowest for most schools. I thought that the 5 might be okay, but I thought it would really limit which school. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

BTW, that is a total scam. They shouldn't do that to people. They should put big flashing signs on their sites that tell people their cut-offs. :thumbdown:

They wouldn't appear to be as competitive then :thumbdown: :mad:

"Plenty"? I doubt that.

DMU 2010: MCAT: 25.93, GPA: 3.64.

I got in with a low MCAT but had a 3.93 GPA. I also got into PCOM with those same numbers.

I know when I began the app process last summer, I called all five schools and asked about the minimum cut off scores and GPA. They were all up front with the GPA, but not the MCAT. I got a lot of, "check our website for the avg scores, and if yours is above the avg then you have a good shot." So to the OP do as was said above, call the admissions people and ask, the worst they can do is say, sorry we don't give out that information. Good Luck!

I don't know of anyone with less than a 20, maybe even 21 or 22, with an acceptance.

And you are very welcome! :D

I hate these threads: they turn into "I know of my friends, friend who had 15 acceptances with a 3.01 GPA, a 14 MCAT but he got in because he had cancer...ooo...."

I know JP does interviews, as do I, but does anyone else that has responded to this thread know, beyond a doubt, what ADCOMS want? Or are you just throwing out whatever responses come to your mind? I know Riker is talking out of his ass; you make me want to stop watching Star Trek and that, sir, is uncalled for. To the OP, JUST APPLY DAMN IT.

I hate these threads: they turn into "I know of my friends, friend who had 15 acceptances with a 3.01 GPA, a 14 MCAT but he got in because he had cancer...ooo...."

I know JP does interviews, as do I, but does anyone else that has responded to this thread know, beyond a doubt, what ADCOMS want? Or are you just throwing out whatever responses come to your mind? I know Riker is talking out of his ass; you make me want to stop watching Star Trek and that, sir, is uncalled for. To the OP, JUST APPLY DAMN IT.

I told the OP to apply. I think that they will get an acceptance, but I also think that the 5 and the writing sample may be an issue with some schools.

Also, based on my personal experiences, I really think that a <20 is going to be a major issue standing in the way of an acceptance. I never said I knew what the adcoms wanted. No one here knows exactly what they are looking for. I just gave my opinion, as requested, and I happen to think that it is a d@mn good one.:D

*hug*:p :laugh: :love:

Stupid computer! +pissed+ Sorry, double post.

I told the OP to apply. I think that they will get an acceptance, but I also think that the 5 and the writing sample may be an issue with some schools.

Also, based on my personal experiences, I really think that a <20 is going to be a major issue standing in the way of an acceptance. I never said I knew what the adcoms wanted. I just gave my opinion, as requested, and I happen to think that it is a d@mn good one.:D

*hug*:p :laugh: :love:

I just picked yours out because you CHANGED YOUR DAMN PICTURE AGAIN. Next it will be a hog.

I just picked yours out because you CHANGED YOUR DAMN PICTURE AGAIN. Next it will be a hog.

LMAO! Well, I had to change it. This is my new horse, Star. I just adopted him and he was neglected and is 150 pounds underweight. He will be fine though. He is just beautiful! Much better than my pic. Don't worry, no hogs though.:laugh:

LMAO! Well, I had to change it. This is my new horse, Star. I just adopted him and he was neglected and is 150 pounds underweight. He will be fine though. He is just beautiful! Much better than my pic. Don't worry, no hogs though.:laugh:

Mmmmm...horse