Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What are my chances?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by pinkya10, Dec 14, 2008.

1. pinkya10

2+ Year Member

Hello,

I'm currently a junior - just finished my first semester. I'm majoring in Biomedical Engineering. I have a 3.40 gpa. I've researched in a lab for 2+ years and I have have a publication. I'm currently the president of two organizations. I haven't taken my mcats yet..but what are my chances of getting in? I want to apply during the summer.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

The mean GPA for students accepted to medical schools is about 3.65. In the absence of a known MCAT score it's hard to judge whether you have a chance. I'd say if your GPA stays the same, you would need an MCAT of 33+. You also need clinical experience and altruistic service (volunteerism). The absence of these two things would endanger your application even if your GPA was 4.0, so you might want to get them started. It sounds like your research experience is above average and you have two leadership roles. Hopefully there are other Extracurriculars you can list for hobbies, sports, or involvement in the arts.

4. pinkya10

2+ Year Member

Yes - I do realize I'll need to have some volunteering experience. Does it make any difference that I'm majoring in engineering and not the sciences?

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Some schools will give you a bit of credit for having a more difficult major, but not all, and not enough, in your case.

6. iblunk

5+ Year Member

Medical Student