what are my odds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woltej1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So last cycle I applied with a 27mcat and a sgpa slightly under 3.6 and a cgpa a little higher with pretty good ECs. I got waitlisted at a state school. I retook the mcat this year and got a 33 and have stronger ECs with clinical experience now. I'm applying next cycle without the plan of retaking courses as I never got a C, just a mix of As and Bs.
Does the 33 help me out as much as I think it does or since I only got 1 II last time is my application extremely weak in other areas.

Members don't see this ad.

So last cycle I applied with a 27mcat and a sgpa slightly under 3.6 and a cgpa a little higher with pretty good ECs. I got waitlisted at a state school. I retook the mcat this year and got a 33 and have stronger ECs with clinical experience now. I'm applying next cycle without the plan of retaking courses as I never got a C, just a mix of As and Bs.
Does the 33 help me out as much as I think it does or since I only got 1 II last time is my application extremely weak in other areas.
Improving your MCAT score to such an extent if often very helpful, but if you had no active clinical experience and physician shadowing when you last applied, that alone would have been a weakness sufficient to keep even a 33MCAT from making a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Improving your MCAT score to such an extent if often very helpful, but if you had no active clinical experience and physician shadowing when you last applied, that alone would have been a weakness sufficient to keep even a 33MCAT from making a difference.
Well I had close to 200 hours shadowing an orthopedic surgeon which included office hours and OR time and a couple days in family practice. But yes I've never had paid/volunteer work in a hospital, all nursing homes. Now I have a clinical scribe position with a possible hospital cna job.

I think you'll be fine now.

Sounds very promising.

How about research, nonmedical community service, leadership, and/or teaching experiences?
VP of pre Med club 1 year, 2 years special Olympics coach, elementary and high school science fair judging, 1 year of research which I was lead on and Kaplan sent me an email saying I should apply for a teaching position because I scored around the 94-96 percentile in their practice exams so I'll pursue that and try to make something happen

Your odds are a lot better I would say. Keep improving your ECs as planned because that will make a bigger difference than the MCAT increase.