DO school Odds and advice moving forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

broly629

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Im here looking for advice for applying to DO Schools. Ill be applying in June of 2023 and Im trying to gauge if there is anymore I can do to prepare (other than application work of course). My stats are as follow:

UGPA: 2.245
SGPA: 2.5
MCAT: 495
This was from back in 2016. My new current stats are

UGPA: 2.75
SGPA: 2.95
This has gone up because Ive worked on a DIY post bacc

Graduate GPA: 3.75
Earned a MS in Biology

Last 90 Credits: 3.85
MCAT (2nd try): 511

1.5 years of prior full time research working with stem cells and leading a rotation of projects
Currently working in a clinical lab full time with a leadership role (been in position for 2 years)
200 volunteer hours currently and will be continuing for the next 2 years (4 hours weekly)
150 shadowing hours (recently stopped)
Currently working on a nonprofit website that provides breakdown of research articles and techniques to the public that isn't too familiar with research (will hopefully have it up by Christmas 2022 and will post here if anyone is interested!)
For the past 3 summers, I spend the mornings teaching students (age 12-17) about Stem Cells with a private organization. I get paid as an independent contractor but the employer said they'll write a LOR and mark it as a volunteer service to help for medical school
Previously tutored children at Kumon and currently volunteering for StepUp in LA to help kids catch up to their current grade levels since many inner city kids fell behind during the pandemic.
Latino (for URM standpoint)

Edit: Currently 28 and yes I am still taking extra college courses at the local CC that I havent taken yet (science courses) to help increase my GPA and try to get me above that 3.0 minumum.
Please let me know what else I can do to help improve my odds into getting into medical school. I've been trying to do as much outside of school to help buffer the ridiculously low undergraduate GPA I suffer with. I have a personal story to that, that I don't wish to go into here but I will definitely be explaining in my personal statement. And as always, all the help is always appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on the strides you've taken thus far! Your grad school success and your successful second MCAT should open some doors for you. You could even look into applying to a select few MD schools, although you should certainly focus on applying broadly to DO schools.

Continue with taking science coursework at your CC. Ideally, you would've gotten a 4.0 in your master's work. You need to do everything you can to beefen that up with straight As between now and next July. If you don't end up getting above the 3.0 cumulative mark, I wouldn't fret too much. Depending on how many credit hours you have so far in your post-bacc work, several schools will focus solely on your recent work and won't take your uGPA into consideration as much. It seems like you've had a strong positive trend from the end of college to where you are now.

Do not have your employer alter your LOR to frame it as a volunteer activity as that is morally disingenuous. It's a cool thing you've done, but it's wrong to claim it as volunteer work if you're being compensated. You will have your app thrown it if it came up in an interview or through some other means that an AdCom sees you reported it as volunteering if it was something you were paid to do.

Keep the volunteer work up. You didn't specify how much of it was clinical vs non-clinical, but you need a lot of both.

Keep your head up! I started med school at 29. You'll get there.

Reactions: 1 users
Obviously you have a lot of potential. If i were in admissions and your application feel on my lap, I'd give you a shot. Really your problem is with being screened out automatically by the algorithm and then having someone that cares look at the application. Some element of luck will have to take place, but you've done well to present yourself in the best possible light

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're doing everything you should be doing. When you break UGPA of 3.0 you'll have a lot better chances of getting interviews. 3-4 interviews, and I think you'll have an acceptance by the end of the cycle. Either way apply very broadly, and I think your chances of getting an acceptance are good. Make sure you apply on the first day, reach out to schools you haven't heard from, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Your app is better than mine and I was accepted to a couple of do’s and one MD. I don’t see how you don’t get in

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I just want to say thank you to everyone here whos replied. I just wanted to know what my chances are and hearing such kind words from you all makes me feel really great and excited to apply next cycle. As you can probably guess, the low undergrad GPA has given me anxiety but Im glad to see that it can be forgiven through years of work. Makes the last 6 years worth it. Thanks again!
Ill keep this forum post updated next year if I can get any offers and interviews when I apply.

Reactions: 1 user