What are my odds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wallsnic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising junior at a rather prestigious university. With that being said, my cumulative GPA is only a 3.1. This is in part due to some family issues that I have had to deal with. I additionally do not have any shadow experience or healthcare related volunteer work. I know that at this rate I have no chance at medical school, but I would like to know if it is still possible if I am able to change things around. With my family being in a better place, I will be able to focus on school easier and get my GPA up as well as focus on volunteering, etc. If anyone can help me come up with an action plan that would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Ace everything from now on.
Develop better coping skills
Retake all F/C/C science coursework

Consider DO schools, all of which utilize grade replacement, or for MD schools, ace a post-bac or SMP. There are MD schools that reward reinvention.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably not in time for the regular cycle of apps, tbh.

Start ace'ing your classes, studying for the MCAT, and getting volunteering/shadowing/research/ECs in and you might have a shot w/ a couple of gap years.

You don't have enough time to build an entire app essentially from scratch in 1 school year while raising your grades to the minimum threshold.

The biggest mistake people with low GPAs who want to turn things around do is try ot start off with a bunch of science classes and immeadiately improve their GPA. Quite simply put, 3.1 students at the start aren't capable of getting 3.8+ GPAs with 4 science classes a semester. You have to start out small. You need to see success first and what it entails and build yourself up no matter how small you start. IF it means this semester only take one science class and one lab course along with the non-science stuff so be it. You just need to ace them and start somewhere and see your GPA start to rise. Once you have the study habits down to ace one science class and one lab class bump it up to next semester to two science classes and one lab course. Eventually this can keep building to the point you are taking a big time workload where you can really start to see gains and impress ADCOMs. But it's a process. If you can stay an extra semester or two in your current school(I know top tier school tuition prices are outrageous) or do a post-bacc of sorts to give yourself more time to allow for this progression and your GPA rise that's really what you should strive for.

But again, we are getting well ahead of ourselves. Start small. Just get A's. Really do everything in your power to get at least a 3.7 from every semester from here on out(and the later on you go the higher you can make that GPA goal).