What are my options in terms of getting into an MD program in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOdyssey

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go read my post on reinvention for pre-meds.

You're by no means DOA yet, but you do have transcript repair to do.

Getting into med school is 100% on you. We can only advise on chances for interviews.

I have been trying to but I can't find the post you are referring to. A link would be very helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Again I would sincerely appreciate any advice, guidance anyone here can provide. Thank you in advance.

I don't recommend this very often, but you may benefit by completing a Masters program (assuming you can obtain a 3.8+ GPA). Combined with a solid MCAT score I think you can mostly put the little blemish on your record to bed.

At one point TFA was a golden ticket into professional school, but over the years it has accumulated detractors and the luster has somewhat worn off. It remains commendable to spend 2 years teaching in an underserved school, but the experience simply isn't as novel as it once was.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't recommend this very often, but you may benefit by completing a Masters program (assuming you can obtain a 3.8+ GPA). Combined with a solid MCAT score I think you can mostly put the little blemish on your record to bed.

At one point TFA was a golden ticket into professional school, but over the years it has accumulated detractors and the luster has somewhat worn off. It remains commendable to spend 2 years teaching in an underserved school, but the experience simply isn't as novel as it once was.
I actually applied to MPH programs for this fall. Do you suggest other masters program instead ?

I have been trying to but I can't find the post you are referring to. A link would be very helpful. Thanks!

I actually applied to MPH programs for this fall. Do you suggest other masters program instead ?

A MPH would be minimally sufficient, although you will need to come out with a 4.0 GPA.

There was a time when getting an MPH was a significant leg up in the admissions process. Then it became ho-hum. Later TFA became the hot thing. Then it was becoming an EMT. Now everyone is a scribe.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro 's reinvention thread is here Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
The path forward is clear for you
- your cGPA and I presume sGPA is also above 3.0. that's good, you won't be screened out
- enroll into a Special Masters Program (SMP). NOT MPH, non-SMP Masters in Health Science/Biology programs. Just google "special masters programs" and start researching. Earn 3.7+ GPA in these
- aim for 500+ for DO, 509+ for MD on the MCAT

- the rest of your application should be fairly easy to put together

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
OP, I have seen posts that some SMPs are still accepting applications (some deadlines have been extended to July 1 or later). You can still apply to start this fall! Do your research now and send in those apps ASAP.

OP, I have seen posts that some SMPs are still accepting applications (some deadlines have been extended to July 1 or later). You can still apply to start this fall! Do your research now and send in those apps ASAP.

THIS. Send the apps in NOW!

Aren't SMPs meant to improve your grade for pre-req classes? I didn't get stellar grades in those classes but they were average:
Gen Chem I & II: A-
Bio I & II: B
Physics I: B+, Physics II: B
Organic Chem I: B+, Organic Chem II: A-
Biochem: A-

What I am really concerned about is the non-degree grad classes I took and the dismissal because of failing. Would an SMP erase or shine less harsh of a light on the failing classes?

Go research SMP. It’s basically a backdoor into med school. It’s high stakes-high rewards. You take classes with first year med students. If you can manage a 3.7+ GPA your education classes failures will probably be over looked. You have to prove to ADCOMS you are up to the rigors of med school. You haven’t done that yet. Of course there are no guarantees but there never is in med school admissions. And always have a plan B.
Have you thought about DO schools?

• Love
Aren't SMPs meant to improve your grade for pre-req classes? I didn't get stellar grades in those classes but they were average:
Gen Chem I & II: A-
Bio I & II: B
Physics I: B+, Physics II: B
Organic Chem I: B+, Organic Chem II: A-
Biochem: A-

What I am really concerned about is the non-degree grad classes I took and the dismissal because of failing. Would an SMP erase or shine less harsh of a light on the failing classes?

I think doing well in a SMP would very much outshine the two classes you failed. Your uGPA is on the low side for MD, and doing well in a SMP would also make it clear "who you are" as a student in science right now, as opposed to your past. Also, there are multiple SMPs that offer a linkage, where you are guaranteed an interview or sometimes even an acceptance to their attached medical school (either MD or DO), as long as you earn a certain GPA and MCAT score. I would definitely recommend looking into those, and then applying to a nice list of programs within the next week or two so you can finalize plans for the fall.

Ultimately, I don't think the MPH will help you with your med school application nearly as much as a SMP would. If you are interested in public health and would consider that as a future career, it might be the right choice! But if you are pursuing a MPH largely as a transition point and to boost your med school apps, a SMP might be the better investment for you.

Aren't SMPs meant to improve your grade for pre-req classes?

Broadly speaking a SMP shows that you can handle the workload. They are usually geared more toward applicants with GPAs closer to 3.0. You're only trying to put some distance between yourself and your failed classes/dismissal. A thesis MS with tuition remission and a stipend is one way to do the trick without going further into debt.

• Love
Broadly speaking a SMP shows that you can handle the workload. They are usually geared more toward applicants with GPAs closer to 3.0. You're only trying to put some distance between yourself and your failed classes/dismissal. A thesis MS with tuition remission and a stipend is one way to do the trick without going further into debt.

Plus, if you do a MS (research thesis and get some publications), it can also potentially make you viable for the MD/PhD route since you already have a decent research background (2 years; 1 first-author pub). But yeah, like the other posters said, the path is pretty laid out for you. Buckle down and good luck!

Re-reading the thread and the OP's post, a post-bacc in higher-level sciences will also work since your prereq grades as well as GPAs are fine
But doing well in a SMP, where you'll be take classes(or some) with medical students, will pack more of a punch on your app

Buyers beware. SMPs are rigorous. It's high-risk high-reward. If you do well, you'll likely get in. If you don't do well, your medical career is over.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.