What are some good questions to ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donkeywhisperer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you go to interview, what are some good questions to ask the interviewers? I'm just wondering what you guys think are some good things to know about the school that they might not present to you during the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a REALLY good question.

I have spent serious time pondering this one. Here are a few I the questions I would ask. (These may not apply to you.)

A. Will there be an opportunity for me to continue my research? Does the CD offer a joint degree program like PhD/DMD or MD/DMD?

B. As a general rule how many of this schools graduates go on to specialize and what type of preference is shown towards your own graduates in the respective programs?

C. Can you talk to me about what it is like to be a dental educator? Considering my TA experience and research interests, I am interested in teaching. What is your day like?

These are very specific to me so they may not apply to you, but a more broad approach would be....

A. Talk to me about the CD's teaching philosophy and what role does the CD play in the community?

B. How does the CD approach the ever-present technological advancements in dentistry?

C. What is the school's philosophy about preserving tooth structure?
(Don't ask this unless you know EXACTLY what you are talking about)

D. Do the students here consider the program challenging? Tell me about what a student’s day is like?

Hope this Helps,
-C

SuperC said:

I have spent serious time pondering this one. Here are a few I the questions I would ask. (These may not apply to you.)

A. Will there be an opportunity for me to continue my research? Does the CD offer a joint degree program like PhD/DMD or MD/DMD?

B. As a general rule how many of this schools graduates go on to specialize and what type of preference is shown towards your own graduates in the respective programs?

C. Can you talk to me about what it is like to be a dental educator? Considering my TA experience and research interests, I am interested in teaching. What is your day like?

These are very specific to me so they may not apply to you, but a more broad approach would be....

A. Talk to me about the CD's teaching philosophy and what role does the CD play in the community?

B. How does the CD approach the ever-present technological advancements in dentistry?

D. Do the students here consider the program challenging? Tell me about what a student’s day is like?

Hope this Helps,
-C

Thanks man that's really helpful I had already thought of some of these, It's a little hard to know sometimes what kinds of questions are appropriate so that you don't offend the interviews school. If you know what I mean. At least I see it that way because my grades aren't that competitive, and I can't afford to make bad impressions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy to help bro! Just be your self and be confident. You have made it this far, which is much farther than most!

-C

SuperC said:

Hope this Helps,
-C

Great post!

Are there any opiates stored on campus and what kind of access to 1st year students have to them?

So when is the tuition check due?

Thanks for those last posts they were really helpful too!
I also thought it might be a good icebreaker to lean back during the interview, put my feet on the table and ask, "All right let's cut to the chase, who's @$$ do I have to kiss to get in here?"
What do you guys think, appropiate or not?