What are some of your favorite ways to get volunteer hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GR114228

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For clinical im volunteering in a hospital with direct access to patients.
For non clinical though there’s so many options and I’m wondering if there’s pros or cons to any of them, and also if there’s some I’m not thinking of.
There’s habitat for humanity but that one isn’t ongoing, I have to sign up far in advance, which I’m considering because it sounds extremely enjoyable.
Also I’ve signed up to volunteer at the RMH family room in a local hospital. I’m hoping that counts as non clinical because i have a passion for the RMHC.
My other two thoughts are either a soup kitchen, or a crisis textline, although I’m not sure if that would even count towards credible volunteer hours.
Would it be okay to regularly volunteer with different programs for a year or two, or should I just stick with one program?
What are some of your favorite volunteer opportunities you’ve done?

Members don't see this ad.

My favorite volunteer gig was leading a group exercise every week for HIV patients.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I help coach inner-city youth rugby. I love sports in general and have played for years, so it seemed like fun.

I loved tutoring and Special Olympics

I am a mentor for LGBTQAI+ youth and help coordinate activities for them at the youth center

Reactions: 1 users
Wow that sounds interesting. How did you find out about that?

An HIV awareness organization had a booth at my school for a week and I stopped to talk with them to get to know more about volunteer opportunities. Their organization had a local center in the same city as my school so driving once a week was doable. My cousin has HIV so I have always been on the upside about participating in HIV awareness and rights for HIV patients.

I help coach inner-city youth rugby. I love sports in general and have played for years, so it seemed like fun.

I wish I was a sports person. I used to run but it’s been a long time lol. Maybe I’ll pick it back up

Habitat for humanity was fun because the future homeowners are required to work on the house for X number of days/hours/whatever so sometimes you'll be helping build the house with the person who is actually going to live there.

I'm in a club where we organize and coordinate events for college students to visit nursing homes and put on events for them. It's really fun.