What are "special circumstances"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaybeCO2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am writing my supplemental application and there is this one question/statement. "Describe any special circumstances which you feel might aid the Committee on Admissions in evaluating your application".
What the hell does this mean? I have NO IDEA! Is this where I beg them to accept me? Do I defend something here? What is it for????? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

MaybeCO2010 said:
I am writing my supplemental application and there is this one question/statement. "Describe any special circumstances which you feel might aid the Committee on Admissions in evaluating your application".
What the hell does this mean? I have NO IDEA! Is this where I beg them to accept me? Do I defend something here? What is it for????? :confused:

Just a guess - I don't remember this when I applied last year. Maybe it has to do with someone who had a bad semester (family issues, etc) and it affected their grades (lowered their GPA).

If you're talking about the NOVA supplemental, I remember that question. I wrote about 3 sentences explaining why I had a low GPA one particular semester. I tried to give good reasons without sounding like I was just making excuses.
If you don't have special circumstances, don't put any. :) Good luck! :luck: