What are the alternatives for those who didn't match in Cardiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiodream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't match this year, I went to 6 university programs for interview but no luck. I am an IMG on J1 visa from small community program. I have a very good cardiology experience back home, many Cardiology publications, previous cardiology research fellowship in one of the nations's top universities.
I didn't know how that happened and actually want to know the reasons.. may be because of the visa issue, small community program? I didn't have any cardiology faculty who made a phone call for me to the programs? may be this is another reason? anyway now I am looking for an alternative for this year. What do you think guys is there a chance in a one year non accredited fellowship like heart failure ( is it too late now to apply)? or I should forget the Cardiology dream and find a hospitalist job?or something else?
Your inputs are much much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't match this year, I went to 6 university programs for interview but no luck. I am an IMG on J1 visa from small community program. I have a very good cardiology experience back home, many Cardiology publications, previous cardiology research fellowship in one of the nations's top universities.
I didn't know how that happened and actually want to know the reasons.. may be because of the visa issue, small community program? I didn't have any cardiology faculty who made a phone call for me to the programs? may be this is another reason? anyway now I am looking for an alternative for this year. What do you think guys is there a chance in a one year non accredited fellowship like heart failure ( is it too late now to apply)? or I should forget the Cardiology dream and find a hospitalist job?or something else?
Your inputs are much much appreciated.

Sorry to hear that.
How many cardiology publications do you have?
If you have significant research experience then I think your plan of doing a heart failure year sound good.
I dont think its too late. I have spoken with people who got clinical positions after the match. I think that is when most pple get it anyway...not before the fellowship match

I am in a similar position as yours. I think in your case, coming from a small community program is the main negative factor. Sorry friend there is a strong bias against people trained at a small community program. J1 visa is not a problem, unless you do not have even 3 years left. Whatever you do (e.g. heart failure or research), try to work with either a cardiology department chief or program director. My personal suggestion regarding whether to do a heart failure or research should be primarily guided by what you enjoy doing. Try to publish as a first author, if you can. Best of Luck.