What are the chances of getting rejected after an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharmD81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
So i know that if you get an interview thats a good sign of being half way there since they only accept half the students they interview. I wanted to know what are some reasons they might reject you after an interview?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You could have not prepared for the interview and answered their questions poorly. For example, my friend's friend applied to dental school and they asked him "Why do you want to be a dentist?" to which he replied "because my brother is a dentist..."

He was rejected.

You can check the pharmcas school pages to see interview invites v. accepted. They often interview twice as many students as there are spots, so you'd think 50/50. But you have to factor in people getting into other schools or rejecting an acceptance for whatever other reason. One school I interviewed at said they probably have to accept about 200 people to fill 100 spots. So I guess it just depends. I'd guess on average it would be better than 50/50.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can check the pharmcas school pages to see interview invites v. accepted. They often interview twice as many students as there are spots, so you'd think 50/50. But you have to factor in people getting into other schools or rejecting an acceptance for whatever other reason. One school I interviewed at said they probably have to accept about 200 people to fill 100 spots. So I guess it just depends. I'd guess on average it would be better than 50/50.

Indeed.

I heard that going to an interview in a gorilla suit lowered your chances slightly

Something like 40% instead of 50-60%

You can absolutely be rejected after an interview.

The interview is the last "Is this dude gonna be a good fit?" prior to matriculation. If you're not a good fit, you're out.

To answer your question, I echo the poster who said to look online. Most of the schools where I applied said they interview about 300 students for 100 positions, or three times as many seats, depending on the number of students they plan to enroll. So based on that, between 50-60% are declined.

You can absolutely be rejected after an interview.

I may be misinterpreting what you're saying but isn't that the only way to be rejected?

I've never heard of anyone being rejected during an interview...although im sure its happened

I may be misinterpreting what you're saying but isn't that the only way to be rejected?

I've never heard of anyone being rejected during an interview...although im sure its happened

Well technically you probably are being rejected during the interview, you just don't hear about it until later.

Thanks, ^ my question was basically what are the reasons you might be rejected after an interview, of course I would prepare and look professional, but what other factors should I do to insure accaptance after an interview.

just remember that the purpose of the interview is for your interviewers to get a feel for you as a whole person, instead of stats on an application. I wouldn't worry about answering one single question poorly. Just be yourself and you'll be fine. I recently interviewed at Purdue, and there were a few questions that I felt like I was not prepared for. I just received my letter of admittance two days ago. So my best advice is to not worry, and try to put who you are across to them as best as you can.

Well technically you probably are being rejected during the interview, you just don't hear about it until later.

I wonder why...

**Fade in: Conclusion of interview**

Interviewer: "Thanks for coming in to interview with our school today; we appreciate that you took the time to fly cross country / drive 18 hours / add $1,000 to your credit card debt to be with us today."

Student: "You are welcome; I'm very excited to be considered for admission at US News and World Report Highly Rated School of Pharmacy!"

Interviewer: "Unfortunately, based upon this interview, you have been rejected. You have no social graces, poor communication skills, and quite frankly, you emit a peculiar odor. I wish you the best of luck with the remaining schools you've applied to."

**Fade out**

Choose your own outcome:
1. Student begins to cry.
2. Student flips over interview table and storms out of room.
3. Student pulls handgun out of briefcase/purse and shoots interviewer in head.

It's much safer to reject someone via the US Postal Service instead of face to face...

Reactions: 1 user
EDIT: scratch that, im just gonna make a thread

Last edited:
Negating your stats and performance it depends on the school.

Some schools interview 400 for 300 seats, others interview 200 for 50 seats.. I really just depends.

Don't be shy, call the schools and ask! Generally everyone is quite nice.

Negating your stats and performance it depends on the school.

Some schools interview 400 for 300 seats, others interview 200 for 50 seats.. I really just depends.

Don't be shy, call the schools and ask! Generally everyone is quite nice.

So basically an interview is just to see who you are as a person, I'm not sure how much students the school is interviewing it doesnt say on their pharmcas applicaion.

also i noticed thank you interview letters, are you supposed to do that after an interview or when you recieve the letter. Also what are the general questions they ask durning an interview

So basically an interview is just to see who you are as a person, I'm not sure how much students the school is interviewing it doesnt say on their pharmcas applicaion.

also i noticed thank you interview letters, are you supposed to do that after an interview or when you recieve the letter. Also what are the general questions they ask durning an interview

Yes the interview is to see how you interact with others, how well spoken you are, and many other factors. The information about interview acceptance rates can be found via a google search, may take some time but it is there.

I sent an email thanking the school for the interview afterwards, however it is not required and most likely will not change an admission decision.

General questions can be found online, there are tons of lists.

Examples

Why Pharmacy? Why not MD/PA/RN/PHD?

What are your Strengths/Weaknesses?

If X happens to Y what do you do? (problem solving basically, there's usually no wrong answer)

If its an open interview (meaning they can view your application) be prepared to answer as to why you got a FF/F/W/C in a course. Also be willing to bring up examples of your shadowing/work/volunteer/etc if asked.

REVIEW YOUR Letters of Recommendation and Personal Statement! They could ask questions!

Review the schools webpage and learn about the school, try to incorporate something into interview day.

Keep in mind the schools know its a nervous/exciting day and will most likely be nice. Don't overdo anything.

I wonder why...

**Fade in: Conclusion of interview**

Interviewer: "Thanks for coming in to interview with our school today; we appreciate that you took the time to fly cross country / drive 18 hours / add $1,000 to your credit card debt to be with us today."

Student: "You are welcome; I'm very excited to be considered for admission at US News and World Report Highly Rated School of Pharmacy!"

Interviewer: "Unfortunately, based upon this interview, you have been rejected. You have no social graces, poor communication skills, and quite frankly, you emit a peculiar odor. I wish you the best of luck with the remaining schools you've applied to."

**Fade out**

Choose your own outcome:
1. Student begins to cry.
2. Student flips over interview table and storms out of room.
3. Student pulls handgun out of briefcase/purse and shoots interviewer in head.

It's much safer to reject someone via the US Postal Service instead of face to face...

Yep. Kind of like in "Up in the Air" where Zach Galifianakis gets fired and then goes all "The Deer Hunter" on his coworkers. I loved how he got billed in the previews for that movie and then was in it for <2 minutes.