What are the cons of HPSP?

Started by swindoll
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

i know this thread is old, but i didn't want to start a new one lol

From my understanding on the website, if you take the scholarship for two years, you have to pay back two years of service?

I'm looking a private schools, and realistically not wanting to take out too many loans. 60K*4=240K. This does not even include living expenses, food, spending money, gas, etc

This HPSP could cut my debt in half. I was thinking about taking the HPSP for 3 years, and just taking out 60K in loans for my fourth year. plus with the 2000 a month i would be living pretty comfortably. Im looking at ophthalmology, dermatology, or primary care. I see my self working in a hospital, Kaiser or in a group practice. I know I do not want to open my own practice. Im young (21), no family, and i'm single. So from my perspective, do you think this would this be a good plan? I don't mind being active duty, because I am just a doctor lol. We wont be fighting in the war, I think we would be at a hospital on base. I don't see anything dangerous with that.

Please let me about your opinions on this HPSP program. I would really like to know yours before this recruiter sweet talks me tomorrow morning when I make the call.

thank you 🙂
 
This is a dental thread.

But to answer your question, it's a 3 year minimum. 2 year scholarships are very rare and only in the AF as far as I know, but it's still 3 years of payback.
If i were you, I would just go for the 4 years. With the way the time repayment goes for medical, you may as well. This is especially true if you are looking at a residency over 3 years, because your payback will be identical. The only difference is that you will have $100K in loans you would need to repay.