What are the different possible paths to Radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiologee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a 2nd year medical student who is stuck on Radiology as a career. I was just wondering what the different possible paths to radiology are if, say, I get an average Step 1 score. (ie. is it possible to do internal and then fellowship in radio? or something else along those lines?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're an AMG you'll most likely match a radiology residency. There's no need to do internal medicine first (unless you're referring to a prelim year).

Get the best step score possible, decent clinical grades, and keep padding your CV with research and you'll match at strong program.

I'm an IMG - probably should have mentioned that... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll still probably match. Radiology as a field is not as competitive to match somewhere as it used to be. That said, stellar scores and strong CVs are still the norm at top programs.

I'll let someone who has been in that position address the any specifics for IMGs.

I'm not too fussed about getting into the top programs - I just want to get in, and I'll go anywhere in the US.

My main question is: what are the alternative paths to a career in radiology (ie. non-direct)?

My main question is: what are the alternative paths to a career in radiology (ie. non-direct)?

there are lots of subspecialty training programs in areas that are similar to radiology but do not have the breadth of training or focus on diagnosis as the modern american definition of diagnostic radiology

-nuclear medicine
-neurology → vascular neurology → interventional (endovascular surgical) neuroradiology
-neurosurgery → interventional (endovascular surgical) neuroradiology
-internal medicine/pediatrics → cardiology → interventional cardiology
-pediatrics → pediatric cardiology → pediatric interventional cardiology
-internal medicine → cardiology → echocardiography
-pediatrics → pediatric cardiology → pediatric echocardiography
-internal medicine → nephrology → interventional nephrology
-ObGyn → maternal-fetal medicine / ultrasound
-emergency medicine → emergency ultrasound

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
there are lots of subspecialty training programs in areas that are similar to radiology but do not have the breadth of training or focus on diagnosis as the modern american definition of diagnostic radiology

-nuclear medicine
-neurology → vascular neurology → interventional neuroradiology
-neurosurgery → interventional neuroradiology
-internal medicine → cardiology → interventional cardiology
-internal medicine → cardiology → echocardiography
-internal medicine → nephrology → interventional nephrology
-ObGyn → maternal-fetal medicine / ultrasound
-emergency medicine → emergency ultrasound

Thank you! I didn't realize there were that many options.

I'm only really interested in Diagnostic Radiology. I guess you can't go from Internal --> Diagnostic Radiology, through some sort of Fellowship can you?

Thank you! I didn't realize there were that many options.

I'm only really interested in Diagnostic Radiology. I guess you can't go from Internal --> Diagnostic Radiology, through some sort of Fellowship can you?

Your question amounts to "do people change specialties during/after residency," the answer to which is yes. At my institution, I know at least three fellows or attendings who are boarded in both radiology and another specialty that they trained in first (eg, internal medicine or pediatrics) before they saw the light. You'll still have a five year commitment (4 year residency + 1 year fellowship; skip the intern year).

Last edited:
your question amounts to "do people change specialties during/after residency," the answer to which is yes.

Okay, thanks. I guess I was just confused because I heard somewhere that if you complete an internal medicine residency, you can do a fellowship in Radiology and then practice as a diagnostic radiologist.

The only way to be a radiologist is to do a radiology residency.

It is in no way connected to internal medicine through fellowship, nor is it like plastic surgery or ct surgery where you can do it either directly or as a fellowship later.

the difference between doing a second residency vs. doing a fellowship is mostly a semantic issue defined by the ACGME. Most nuclear radiology/medicine fellowships (following radiology residency) are technically accredited as residencies.