What are the most important things in regard to securing an away rotation during 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Medguy1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I've looked at the Program Director's survey and asked around my school but gotten mixed answers. What do most programs look at when granting away rotation requests and what are their importance?

I think what I've heard so far (in no particular order as far as I can tell) are Clinical Grades, Board Scores, Pre-clinical grades.

People that did away rotations or are planning to do them, what did/do you find to the most important?

And is it absolute in the sense that if someone has a great GPA and Clinical grades but low board scores OR high boards and low everything else, would one score be the most important over the others?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1, Step 1, Step 1

That’s the order of importance. It’s the only objective measure they have to evaluate every student.

Low boards means lower chances of getting aways unless you apply strategically to programs where you have a realistic shot.