What are the top-ranked people in your respective schools going into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This conversation has deviated so much from its original point, which is to speculate about the whatever the top dogs in your class pursue.
There is so much anecdotal evidence in this thread and because of such, it’s impossible to make anything out of it, except that they are stories to heard. I got 29 in my MCAT, ended up with 215. Oops. This dude i gotta know pretty well through a rotation, also got a 29 in his MCAT but happened to crush his steps (260s in both). Also, our class rank are 2 spots apart. Go figure. Actually, don’t bother. Let’s get back to gossip. It’s more fun that way than get into endless arguments with internet strangers
Anyhow, heard the top 3 people in my class is going to IM. Can’t wait to find out 2 months from now where they end up.

People keep throwing anecdotal evidence like it really proves anything in terms of averages. I think generally, the higher the matriculating scores, the higher that school's step 1 average will be; however the correlation is quite poor and there is a lot of variability.

Also, we may never know if DO school's averages are lower than MD averages, since most schools don't release that information. There are a lot of factors too that affect average scores like self selection of who takes Step 1 and school curriculum.

Not sure how accurate the data is, but it was interesting to see some actual numbers.
School Average Step 1 vs USNWR Rank

Members don't see this ad.

I know we have had a Urology and Optho match already this year. Off the top of my head other high ranked/scores students going into Rads/IM/Ortho

And yes, if you want to go into something competitive like surgery rank makes a difference.

General surgery is competitive for DOs but it is not a competitive field in general for MDs. Have you actually spoken to any PDs at ACGME programs? Rank doesn't matter for the most part, especially coming from a DO school, because the schools are sketchy and unknown territory for PDs in competitive programs/specialties, and only Step 1, research, and (most importantly, which DOs seem to be very delusional and ignorant about) phone calls/letters from influential faculty will decide the matter. Many MD schools are now unranked, giving the students freedom to do research and actually match competitively. Only AOA status seems to be an important factor when it comes to the rank discussion. And I am telling you information directly from residents/fellows and PDs in an elite program(s) in a specialty that is actually ultra competitive (not general surgery) that DOs truly struggle to match at even with research and some level of networking.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
General surgery is competitive for DOs but it is not a competitive field in general for MDs. Have you actually spoken to any PDs at ACGME programs? Rank doesn't matter for the most part, especially coming from a DO school, because the schools are sketchy and unknown territory for PDs in competitive programs/specialties, and only Step 1, research, and (most importantly, which DOs seem to be very delusional and ignorant about) phone calls/letters from influential faculty will decide the matter. Many MD schools are now unranked, giving the students freedom to do research and actually match competitively. Only AOA status seems to be an important factor when it comes to the rank discussion. And I am telling you information directly from residents/fellows and PDs in an elite program(s) in a specialty that is actually ultra competitive (not general surgery) that DOs truly struggle to match at even with research and some level of networking.
Mmm Kay.

Reactions: 1 user
200+ for US MD... You might need 215+ if you are a DO. Neuro is not competitive.
You really think so? Is this from knowing many people who have applied neuro from DO schools? I was under the assumption that since the avg for matched neuro applicants has been around 225-230 these past couple years that a DO neuro applicant should shoot for something in the 230 range

You really think so? Is this from knowing many people who have applied neuro from DO schools? I was under the assumption that since the avg for matched neuro applicants has been around 225-230 these past couple years that a DO neuro applicant should shoot for something in the 230 range
In general, matching neuro is easy but matching at a reputable program or in a coastal city can be very competitive. For example, without an average usmle you probably won’t get an interview at most CA programs. If you audition, you may get a courtesy invite.

Reactions: 2 users
I think 50 of 100 DO general surgery applicants matched from the last NRMP outcomes. Whatever that means to you.