What are you looking forward to in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Graduation. Lol.

But on a serious note, weirdly I am looking forward to starting my PhD most right now..the amount of thoughtless memorization is taxing after a while. I just want to use my brain a bit..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Everything. Finding out what kind of doctor I want to be. Being surrounded by a group of students who all (mostly) care as much as I do. Just starting this chapter of my life. Finally.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like the dichotomy between beaten down med students and pre-meds that haven't realized that they stopped writing their personal statements.

Reactions: 9 users
I really like the dichotomy between beaten down med students and pre-meds that haven't realized that they stopped writing their personal statements.
100.gif

Can't wait to not be juggling a billion different things: two jobs, volunteering, EC's, wasted time in lecture, shadowing, homework, studying... It will be nice to just focus on learning things and maybe doing research / exploring different areas of medicine. I suppose I'll keep up with the EC's and volunteering, actually, but man it will be nice to (hopefully) not have to physically attend lectures and not work 40+ hours/week on top of classes.

your response is EXACTLY why I need to get accepted when I apply this cycle hahaha. pray for me

What? Many of those medical students become premeds. An astounding percentage of them stay annoying...

Sorry to crush your dreams, yo.
Ah, but they're not premeds anymore. They've earned the right to be insecure annoying gunners for the next four years if they would like. That just makes it feel better for some reason.

Ah, but they're not premeds anymore. They've earned the right to be insecure annoying gunners for the next four years if they would like. That just makes it feel better for some reason.
Whatever works for you, I still hated those same people are we started medical school.

It's practically a sports bra. Those things look ridiculous.
One of our attending physicians got his white coats monogrammed by the hospital...only they did it wrong and he has a bunch of monogrammed short-coats. The other docs tease him about looking like a med student, but they're also jelly of him having a name on there :D

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
grossclinic.jpg

Last but not least: Bringing back the black coat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Never dealing with another premed again.
You're going to be one of those doctors who cites some HIPAA ballocks to get out of letting premeds shadow, aren't you?

What? Many of those medical students become premeds. An astounding percentage of them stay annoying...

What? I thought all med students were suave, brilliant young professionals who attended daily high end social functions dressed like James Bond.

Having some sort of solid plan on what I'm doing for the next four years. Knowing that I don't have to worry about whether I'm getting in to medical school this year and having to scramble to reapply if I don't, or trying to figure out what other career choice I can make and work towards and apply for if medical schools won't accept me. Not having to continuously have to go convince schools that I'm somehow the one applicant they want out of the 15,000 that they've looked at, all with probably better stats and ECs than I have.

No longer being unemployed and living with my in-laws. Ugh.

Reactions: 2 users
Being back in a school-type setting. I appreciate the camaraderie (I know that's not quite the right word, but hear me out) of being with a large group of people sharing a similar experience and working towards similar goals. I hope that I will enjoy it even more in med school, given that the goals and motivation level will be more similar among the class and the shared experience more intense.

I know that's weird and dorky of me, but I really do MISS that feeling, as awesome as it is to be in the real world making individual progress towards my own goal.

Being back in a school-type setting. I appreciate the camaraderie (I know that's not quite the right word, but hear me out) of being with a large group of people sharing a similar experience and working towards similar goals. I hope that I will enjoy it even more in med school, given that the goals and motivation level will be more similar among the class and the shared experience more intense.

I know that's weird and dorky of me, but I really do MISS that feeling, as awesome as it is to be in the real world making individual progress towards my own goal.

Team work, camaraderie, sharing...

Gross.

j/k

I'm looking forward to only going to school. All throughout college and my MS, I worked 2-3 jobs simultaneously to pay for tuition. The thought of just studying sounds wonderful.

Also, making friends with my classmates. I could use a bit more social interaction.

Last edited:
Pelvic exams

Just wait until you smell your first yeast infection+gonorrhea+haven't-bathed-in-three-years-because-Im-a-meth-head pelvic exam. (I hear they give those exclusively to the annoying first years.)

That'll change your mind real quick.

Just wait until you smell your first yeast infection+gonorrhea+haven't-bathed-in-three-years-because-Im-a-meth-head pelvic exam. (I hear they give those exclusively to the annoying first years.)

I prefer to keep my hand, thank you.

Rifle's reaction, though...
giphy.gif

Aaand this is why I'm very glad that I've never been a nose-breather. Had an abscess the other day in the ED which was literally the size of a baseball over someone's deltoid (no exaggeration, the doc told me to put it in the chart as such) and I could kind of tell that it would smell rank if I breathed through my nose while they were draining it, but I decided not to test that assumption. And to apply my Burt's Bees mint chapstick as soon as I left the room. I'm not usually a fan of mint, but I keep that around in the ED because it is pretty overpoweringly strong, and doesn't look odd at all to apply in/near a rank patient's room (and then oversmack my lips to smear it under my nose).

Bring it on

6ADLV4r.gif

So, in short, garum.

Fornicating with all the hot chicks in my class.

uhhh, backwards?

What's with all the pre-med hate *sadface* i will always be a pre-med at heart... never forget.

Mostly I'm just nervous,

but will be nice to have a workload that justifies my coffee addiction...
:biglove:<--- me on coffee

I figured out all the different ways that stuff can happen, and that the people who design and build (and maintain) critical components aren't really all that much brighter than your average Tom, Dick, or Harry.

Tom, Dick, and a very nervous Harry. That might mean nothing to you now, but it will in the future. By that point, I think a lot of the pre-meds in this thread will be singing a very different tune.

Tom, Dick, and a very nervous Harry. That might mean nothing to you now, but it will in the future. By that point, I think a lot of the pre-meds in this thread will be singing a very different tune.

Truth. I have no idea what you're saying here.

Anyone else assess strangers in their mind everywhere they go and talk to the tv when House is on?

I also pray that someone gives me the opportunity to exercise my CPR skills heh