What are your thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 29 years just beginning my freshman year of college. Rewinding a bit, back to my 2nd year of high school I did well however, the last couple of years were not so great due to my father's death (homicide). My overall GPA ended up being 2.3-2.5 mainly because I had to take on so much responsibility around the house, and the difficulties of dealing with his death. Needless to say I had to grow up quickly.
When I turned 19 I hired on with the Sheriff's Department in the 911 Center. I started college while working full time at the age of 22. I ended up going for a semester; and just before I finished I was diagnosed with a mass on the pituitary gland. The mass was an abscess, which destroyed the pituitary gland. I am now living with a condition called pan-hypopituitarism. It took a few years to finally feel somewhat normal and to get my meds adjusted and my life back on track.
I have always wanted to become a physician, but for some reason after my father's death I was turned off by the idea becoming one, so I went into law enforcement. Working in the 911 Center has always been challenging and very stressful. Often we work 14 hour days some back to back, so far I have been handling it well. I have chosen to not take the supervisor test because my heart is set becoming an M.D. or D.O.
I know that ultimately it's up to me if I want to pursue medicine. One of my main concerns is if I do make it into medical school, am I able to get decent health care coverage (mainly for prescription coverage)? My last question is you were in my shoes how many of you would try and become a physician or would for a PA or NP?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Come on guys, I need your advise. Be honest let me know what you think please.

Sounds like you lived through a lot of stuff. I'm sure you would have interesting stories to tell on your personal statement.

Insurance will be required in med school, and it will be covered by financial aid so you should be able to cover your meds. 29 is on the older range for college but if you have your heart set on med school, don't settle for anything else. It'll be an uphill battle since you are (presumably) working, supporting yourself while doing the whole college bit, but it's been done before. My advice to anyone starting on the premed journey is to take it one step at a time and don't try to cram everything in! It's more important to start slow and do well than start quickly and do poorly. If you feel you can't get that 'A' because you have too much on your plate, drop something! Don't think, "I'll be fine" or "I'll just do better later to make up" because that will only create more problems. Good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Coy said:
Come on guys, I need your advise. Be honest let me know what you think please.

There's not much to say -- you're just starting your freshman year. Your high school GPA is inconsequential for admission to medical school, so everything is up to you right now.

Since your entire undergrad education is pretty much a blank slate, try to keep your GPA > 3.75 for the best chances for admission to med. school, and take on the MCAT during your Junior Year.

I'm not really sure what advise you are trying to get? There is no reason why you can't enter medical school when you are 33, or whenever you finish your undergrad degree.

MD/DO vs. PA vs. NP is a choice that you need to make for yourself. Do some research on the duties/jobs of each one and decide what you'd like best.

Good Luck,

J

first, i'm sorry for your loss and your life story is truly unique and amazing. these are the things that make you different from others - i'm sure your experience gives you a lot more insight about death and such. you've dealt with such a tragic loss, a health condition and you've also had a very demanding job.

i think all these things will work for you when you are ready to apply to med school - as you can truly build a strong statement about why you are interested in the medical field.

secondly, please be patient and you'll get advice from people in this forum in due time! everyone is nothing less than helpful; but as nontrads, we all have particularly busy lives juggling jobs, family, school, etc. personally, i also have been stricken with nonstop deaths and illnesses in my fam, so it's a daily struggle to surmise enough energy to get up, go to work, then to school and care for my mom who is a cancer patient and the rest of my fam. but i'm doing it.

as the person said above - if you're starting college for the first time, just keep up good grades, continue building on jobs/experiences where you are helping others and also just wanted to say you don't HAVE to major in bio or something to go to med school. as long as you get the prereqs in, you're really free to major in anything you want. if anything, that'll make you a more well rounded applicant.

good luck.

As much as we want other people's advice, it comes down to what we (ourselves) think. But, this is the way I see it: your age is not such a big thing. I am 31 returning to get a second bachelors because I screwed up so badly the first time and didn't even take pre-reqs (I did get the degree tho'). It won't take me as long this time, but still it is time. I am trying to make a cruddy slate look decent and you have a blank one. Of that, I am envious. I agree with jota, keep your grades as high as they can possibly be (duh), but don't freak because you screw up once or twice. Even I have found people who have turned it around from worse situations than mine. (If you want my specifics, IM me)

You have a fantastic personal statement if you choose to use it. Don't let the past (as horribly painful and difficult as it may be) ruin the future. Let it be a motivator.

I too, have medical issues and require a great deal of meds. Not having insurance is not an option. To my knowledge (and obviously according to other's recollections as well) financial aid can be used for this purpose as it is a "cost of attending school"...face it, when you are a full-time student nearly EVERYTHING is a "cost of attending school." Be careful of your policy though and the company you use. I have had HORRIBLE and EXTREMELY expensive experiences that covered NOTHING. Literally.

As far the PA, MD, DO or other route...that really is something that no one can decide for you. Do the research. Talk to people in each profession. Shadow. Will you be intimidated by having to make the "final decision?" Will you feel trapped by having to work under the auspices of a doctor? It's really a matter of fulfillment and the best fit. That's all I can say...a very personal decision. Don't let someone talk you into something you don't really want to do. You have the time - use it. (Yes, you really do have the time.)

Good luck. :luck:

Don't look back. Look forward. That's what's keeping me going.

Thanks for your input. It's very motivating and appreciated.

I'm younger but in a similar situation, going back to school from the beginning. I have an AA but only considered a second semester freshman cause most my credits were not relevant toward my major. But hey, let the process be the ultimate happiness in your life. I'm finding little by little that struggling in life for something real is better than working a so so job and going home to drink a six pack a night like some people I know.
And in medicine atleast, your thirties are the new twenties. It's an evergrowing trend of people becoming doctors in their later life. Someday there might be more of us non trads than trational students.
I've been researching the PA route recently, I don't know if it would fulfill me in the future, but I don't think it will. Many mid level providers go NP or PA because MD/DO seems so far off. I'm going to shadow bot PA's and physicians to see for myself.

I am 29 years just beginning my freshman year of college. Rewinding a bit, back to my 2nd year of high school I did well however, the last couple of years were not so great due to my father's death (homicide). My overall GPA ended up being 2.3-2.5 mainly because I had to take on so much responsibility around the house, and the difficulties of dealing with his death. Needless to say I had to grow up quickly.
When I turned 19 I hired on with the Sheriff's Department in the 911 Center. I started college while working full time at the age of 22. I ended up going for a semester; and just before I finished I was diagnosed with a mass on the pituitary gland. The mass was an abscess, which destroyed the pituitary gland. I am now living with a condition called pan-hypopituitarism. It took a few years to finally feel somewhat normal and to get my meds adjusted and my life back on track.
I have always wanted to become a physician, but for some reason after my father's death I was turned off by the idea becoming one, so I went into law enforcement. Working in the 911 Center has always been challenging and very stressful. Often we work 14 hour days some back to back, so far I have been handling it well. I have chosen to not take the supervisor test because my heart is set becoming an M.D. or D.O.
I know that ultimately it's up to me if I want to pursue medicine. One of my main concerns is if I do make it into medical school, am I able to get decent health care coverage (mainly for prescription coverage)? My last question is you were in my shoes how many of you would try and become a physician or would for a PA or NP?

Update

I'm currently working for the Sheriff's Office fulltime and attending school at Boise State University (Pre-med). By the end of this semester I will have completed 20 credits all A's and B's. I plan on taking at least 12 credit hours next semester, and attend summer school each year. Everything seems to be happening so fast. I feel as if I'm not retaining everything I should be in my classes. I'm still trying to get my study habits down. I wish there was a guide to follow for those of us who are in their first year of undergrad. I have a pre-med advisor, and I'm involved in a pre-med club. Things just seem very overwhelming. I just finished taking my EMT-B and will soon be doing volunteer work. I also work part time dispatching air-ambulance, so I kind of have my foot in the door with the medical community. I hope I'm making the right decisions about my future in medicine, especially with my medical condition "hypopituitarism" and the long road ahead of me.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Coy

Glad to hear things are on track for you. As long as you are doing well in your courses, don't worry so much about what you are/aren't retaining. You will find as you move through the prereq classes that many of the same concepts will be presented repeatedly, albeit in slightly different form. For example, someone might not fully grasp the details of meiosis in their first biology course. BUT, after physiology, cell biology, genetics, etc. .... well, each time you see it, it gets a little clearer.

The pre-med period can seem overwhelming at times, particularly when you have other things (job, health issues, etc.) going on. Best advice I can give you is to just take it a week at a time; focus on what you need to accomplish in a particular week & don't spend time thinking about how overwhelming the big picture is. Also, the amount of juggling you're doing now is good preparation for med school -- you'll be ahead of the pack in terms of time management skills when you get there.:)