What are your top 5 schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaverfoodsDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With decisions hopefully coming for most of us within the next week, I thought it would be fun to see where we would like to attend if we had everything go our way. I know these threads have existed in the past, but I have yet to see one for this cycle with a substantial amount of responders, so I'm trying to get one started !

For me, my IDEAL top 5 would be:

1) Harvard (PLEASE INTERVIEW ME!!!!!)
2) UCLA
3) Michigan
4)UCSF
5) Columbia/Penn

Good luck to everyone on Dec 2nd, and have an awesome Thanksgiving !

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if it shakes out in this exact order since I haven't been to Penn yet, but these are definitely my top five.

1. Buffalo
2. UCSF
3. Penn
4. Michigan
5. NYU

Good thread, good luck to you too, Haverfoods. And if you don't get into dental school, at least you've got entertainment 720 and Rent-a-swag to keep you going, yeah? haha.

Reactions: 3 users
1. Nebraska
2. Creighton
3. Kentucky
4. Roseman
5. MWU-AZ

Members don't see this ad :)
1) school that wants me
2) school that wants me
3) school that wants me
4) school that wants me
5) school that wants me

Im not really that picky

I like this guy.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Case
2. Tufts
3. Maryland
4. Boston
5. NYU

Good thread, good luck to you too, Haverfoods. And if you don't get into dental school, at least you've got entertainment 720 and Rent-a-swag to keep you going, yeah? haha.

Jean-Ralphio kind of ruined that for me...

1) UCLA
2) UNLV
3) Western
4) NYU
5) BU

1. Buffalo
2. UWO (in Canada)
3. Temple
4. Detroit
5. Case

(First two due to price and proximity to home, the other three based on quality of education....and somewhat proximity to home lol)

Last edited:
For those of you who mentioned NYU, can you explain why?

I only applied to five schools, so I'd say all of them are in my top five.
In no particular order: Harvard, Penn, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF.

Reactions: 1 users
I really hope all of us that listed UCLA get in! Did those of you that listed them interview already ?

I only applied to five schools, so I'd say all of them are in my top five.
In no particular order: Harvard, Penn, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF.
Same here. 5 applications, 4 interviews, loved every one of them and would be super happy anywhere. All 3 of the Texas schools are so damn nice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. My state school
2. My state school
3. My state school
4. My state school
5. My state school

Not kidding.

Reactions: 4 users
For those of you who mentioned NYU, can you explain why?
When considering my top 5 schools, I decided to list ones that I would actually go to if accepted and ones that I had a decent shot at getting in to. NYU is realistic for me, so I threw it down as number 5 lol.

Case, UNC, and ECU were all wonderful. I'd be thrilled to be accepted to any of them!

1. UTSD
2. UTHSCSA
3. Baylor
4. OU
5. UDM

1. UTHSCSA
2. Baylor
3. Midwestern- AZ
4. RU
5. UDM

I'm surprised there's no UOP love so far.....that's typically a favorite around these forums.

I'm surprised there's no UOP love so far.....that's typically a favorite around these forums.

With interest rates sky high and with the cost of living in SF sky high (and only getting higher) and with the tuition of UOP at $330k, I think most people realize that UOP isn't worth going into debt if you have alternatives that are more than $50k cheaper. And besides, UOP does not have a monopoly on clinical experience.

UoP would be in my list if I was interviewed.

1st tier- Baylor, LSU, Columbia, UMich
2nd tier- UTHSC-Memphis
3rd tier- UoP

However, I'd be happy to attend any of the schools I get accepted to, otherwise I wouldn't have applied

3rd or 2nd tier could jump to 1st tier if they show me money. At the end of day, it will come down to that for me. However, if everything is equal, this is how I would rank them.

Last edited:
UOP is def in my list! I can't even rank my top 5 properly. I had 6 interviews.
My top three choices (not in order) are BU, UOP, UTHSC-San Antonio.
My next three choices (not in order) are Creighton, MWU-IL, Minnesota

1st tier: UF, GRU, UMMC
2nd tier: MD
3rd tier: Anyone that will let me in!

Good thing my top 5 isn't in anyone's list here.
Better chance for me to get off the waitlist, if ever!

1) UMich
2) UDM
3) Colorado

Not going to list 4 and 5, as I only had 3 interview invites so far ;)

making my offical list after I get offers

Last edited:
1) dylan
2) dylan
3) dylan
4) dylan
5) dylan

Reactions: 5 users
This is if I got offers from all my schools:

Top tier: VCU, Maryland
Second tier: UAB, GRU
Third tier: NOVA, LECOM

and this is why I haven't fully ranked my choices yet!
Word. Gotta play the hand your dealt. Right now the dealer is still shuffling.

dental schools don't HAVE to tell us if we're accepted/rejected/waitlisted on Dec 2nd or not right? I'm sitting here all anxious for Monday and my dads telling me not to be disappointed if I don't hear anything right on that day because they can literally tell me at any time. Is it unusual to not hear from schools that day?

dental schools don't HAVE to tell us if we're accepted/rejected/waitlisted on Dec 2nd or not right? I'm sitting here all anxious for Monday and my dads telling me not to be disappointed if I don't hear anything right on that day because they can literally tell me at any time. Is it unusual to not hear from schools that day?
most schools try to tell applicants as soon as possible; afterall, they do WANT YOU.
it is certainly possible to hear later though

I'm having a really hard time deciding which of these I like most: UW, UoP, Harvard

Didn't love USC, turned down a couple interviews since I'm pretty sure my top three are where I want to go.hopefully that doesn't come back to haunt me!

I'm not sure if it shakes out in this exact order since I haven't been to Penn yet, but these are definitely my top five.

1. Buffalo
2. UCSF
3. Penn
4. Michigan
5. NYU

Why buffalo is #1? I only have two options and are:

1. OSU
2. Buffalo

Last edited:
1) buffalo
1) umich
1) louisville
4) case or udm (too close to call)
5) nyu

1) UTSD (interview)
2) UTHSCSA (interview)
3) Baylor (nothing...)
4) OU (nothing...)
5) MWU-IL (interview)

I'm glad to see all the Michigan mentions here.....I thought it was absolutely awesome when I interviewed. The only thing that is a drawback to me is the weather since I've been in so-cal my whole life. I think the only school that could take me away from UCLA (assuming I'm accepted, of course) would be Harvard, and at this point I think my chances at an interview there are slim-to-none.

Not in any particular order (excluding state schools)...

If cost is not an issue:
1) UOP
2) Boston
3) Tufts
4) UPenn
5) Columbia

If cost is an issue:
1) state or WICHE school
2) state or WICHE school
3) no NYU
4) no UOP
5) no USC

Last edited:
I'm glad to see all the Michigan mentions here.....I thought it was absolutely awesome when I interviewed. The only thing that is a drawback to me is the weather since I've been in so-cal my whole life. I think the only school that could take me away from UCLA (assuming I'm accepted, of course) would be Harvard, and at this point I think my chances at an interview there are slim-to-none.

What is it about Harvard that could draw you away? Just curious, I thought it was a great program as well.

What is it about Harvard that could draw you away? Just curious, I thought it was a great program as well.
first post says haverfoods is hoping for an interview there. Harvards aight. You don't pick up a handpiece until your third year, but it certainily sets you up for specialization nicely.

1.UDM
2.UDM
3.UDM
4.UDM
5.UDM

and if i had a 6th choice it would be....wait for it...

UDM :D

So I take it UMich is worth a trip North?

geez i forgot you had an invite there too. absofruitly it is.

as much as we were impressed by buffalo during our visit there, michigan is more of the same...and a bit more too. don't want to give too much away but it is a solid, solid program.