what books are in your pockets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOctorJay

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
as your intern year is coming to an end what books are still in your pockets? what are the most helpful references that stuck with you throughout this year especially for call and daily management of patients?

Members don't see this ad.

so are there NO interns still carrying pocket medicine, maxwell's, etc. any longer? Is there anything we MUST have in our pockets as we start intern year?

so are there NO interns still carrying pocket medicine, maxwell's, etc. any longer? Is there anything we MUST have in our pockets as we start intern year?

A couple of pens, sometimes a service list, and ALWAYS my ID badge to swipe in the cafeteria. The internet is too prevalent and easily accessible for me to make much use of books.

Members don't see this ad :)
My pharmacopeia (at first an old version, then a current version I stole from someplace) is the only book that has made it through the year. Actually, the other book is a pocket sized notebook I use to keep track of my surgical cases, because I tend to lose the stickers if I don't stick them somewhere right away.

Pocket PC with ePocrates (and just in case that breaks down, Pocket Medicine (the acid/base disturbance graph comes in very handy at 3 am when a patient's decompensating in front of you), Pocket PDR, Maxwell's, Drug rep plastic sheet with formulas), mini keychain flashlight, a sticker in the back of my ID badge with the license number, NPI, Narcotics ID for in-hospital use, my cellphone with built in calculator, a black ink flair pen for death certificates. With all this stuff, I had to get 2 new lab coats with inside pockets so I could carry my wallet and my car keys at all times (I can't button it from all the stuff I carry, but that's besides the point :laugh: )

At first I used to carry a notebook and write down every extension I got paged from and the time, the room numbers, etc. Now I just use the back of my patient roster or my palm to ink the stuff I'm likely to forget.

no books. :) If I need to look up a med, I check micromedex on a hospital computer.